Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Applique Help needed

I am trying to applique some pieces on a strip quilt. Can I get suggestions on how the easiest way to do this is and what you use to hold it down. I have tried heatbond under the pieces but it did not bond well and I the material scorced after ironing it so much to get it to stick long enough to sew it on. I also have tried using interfacing with bonding on one side this was easy to turn on larger pieces but I have not tried to iron it on the piece yet. I have used stitch wichary on one a long time ago and it seems to work to hold it well enough. How best to stitch it on with a machine. I have had a hard tome adjusting my machine to zigzag close enough and the right size that looks good. The one I tried to do was all three layers top batting and backing so it was to thick to use the walking foot with or the embrodery foot did not work either. Any suggestion would help. I may try the next one quilt as you go so I have less bulk to work with at the sewing machine at one time. I am trying to make a few nice quilts for charity but its turning out to be very time consuming.

I use Heat n Bond lite for all my appliqué, I set my iron to the silk setting and turn the steam off, and only go over the piece lightly or the adhesive dissolves and it won't stick I have noticed a few times it lifted in spots, but I blanket stitch around the appliquéd piece before I sandwich the quilt.

Hope this helps. :)

lin
    I use Heat 'n Bond Lite for my applique too and I've found that if I only press if for about 5 seconds it sticks long enough to get it satin-stitched on my machine. The few times I've pressed for longer, it didn't want to stick at all. I've heard that over-pressing can cause the glue to become ineffective. I guess it melts into the fabric too much and doesn't allow for a bond between the two fabrics. I might have a spot or two that want to lift, but not bad enough to mess it up while I'm getting it secured.

I've never tried to applique anything with all three layers together. I would imagine that would be too thick no matter what you used. I would recommend appliqueing first on the top only, then layering it for quilting.

I agree with lin,,,, I applique alot, and I always applique the piece on the quilt top, then sandwich, I use fuseable for almost all appliques, Much easier to turn in the edge of the applique and not as thick. Sometimes the fuseable dosen't grip as well, mainly due to over heating, But yet areas will stick well enough to machine attache, by zig-zag, satin stich or applique stitch. If all else fails how about by hand?

Applique before putting layers together!!! Heat and bond lite works very well for me. i even sometimes use the interfacing method which works real well if you want that turned under look on the edges. but like I said I use heat and bond lite on all my applique and never had a problem of it sticking.

I always applique before I sandwich my project. I use Wonder Under and not Heat and Bond. My applique pieces are not turned under, after pressing them down, I either zigzag around them or use some sort of fancey stitch. Heat and Bond always caused my needle to gum up. but that was yrs ago and I have never tried it since. Wonder Under is the best for my use. Marge

lin
    mic-pa, you might have been using regular Heat 'n Bond. That stuff will make your needle gum up. I made the mistake once of using it instead of the Lite, and I'll never make that mistake again. Ever. It was a nightmare. The Lite doesn't gum up the needle at all.

But if you've found what works for you, then that's what you should stick with anyway! :D

A friend of mine bought the Ultra Heat n Bond by mistake and when she went to sew, the machine needle broke trying to go through it and the tip hit her in the eye. Poor girl, it was her first attempt at applique and her last, she refuses to give it another try with the Lite.

lin
    That's a shame! The lite would work well for her, but I can sure understand her concern about it after all she went through. I managed to get mine appliqued down, but it sure wasn't easy on my hands. They hurt forever. That regular Heat is truly sticky and thick! BUT...it won't hold it good enough to just leave it without any sewing. So, pretty much worthless IMHO. :roll:

I am appliqueing a christmas scene all is bonded and ready to machine blanket stitch my ? is do you use the same color thread on every piece or do you co-ordinate the thread?

I coordinate the thread as best I can.

Banned
    Ladies I have a question about steam a seam . Does it have less adhesive than heat n bond lite ? I usually use heat n bond lite and yes it does gunk up my needle ! Is steam a seam better ? I have never tried it .

Happy quilting

Annie

I used steam a seam on the appliques I did on my sampler quilt and it worked great. My first block was raw, then as I got better I did a satin stitch. No problems at all with it gumming up the needle. I have not heard of the other brands, this is what my quilt shop carries.

Wonder Under or spray quilt adhesive is the best to use. I get no gumming of needles when machine or hand quilting. I also pin, in some places because I do a lot of needle turn applique. It gets easier and easier as you work with applique.

I'm intriqued by your applique to a strip pieced top. Do share a picture, will you?

Happy Quilting,
    Sharon

Hi there, well I am a newbie, but joined our local stitching group here in Spain (check us out) www.perianastitchers.net. Anyway i was advised to use steam-a-seam2, works very well, does not gunk up the needle and bonds very well. The way you are describing it though it sounds as if you are stitching round your applique when you have your batting and backing on, I was taught to stitch round the applique after you steam a seam it, then when all your blocks are finished put the batting under and then the backing. Hope this helps. Elle

Hi, I'm also new to the board & I just completed my 1st applique project. I used Heat & Bond LITE. Make sure you use the LITE if you plan on sewing or else it will gum up the needle. I followed the package directions. I used the machine applique stitch with coordinating thread and I was very happy with the results. I can't wait to get started on my next project.

lin
    Fancyfoot~I once made the mistake of picking up my roll of regular Heat'nBond instead of the LITE and I can tell you, you'll only make that mistake ONCE!! It was a nightmare. I had to hand stitch around a whole quilt's worth of applique. I finally put the quilt top under my machine without thread and using a large needle, and poked holes all around the edges of the applique so that I could do a blanket stitch. I finally got it done, but never again will I make that mistake. I agree that the LITE works just fine.

I've also used Steam-a-Seam2 before and liked it as well.

There is one more way if you don't like using these products. Use a glue stick the kind school kids use. It wil hold your pieces while you machine stitch. :D

Yep I made that mistake once with the regular heat-n-bond.
    I use the Wonder Under, never have any problems with it. The few times Ive done needle turn, I used the glue sticks, works great.
    Most projects I use matching thread. but on some of the hand blanket stitch I have used all black thread, Usually embroidery thread, all depends on the look you are going for.

I am new to this site and to applique - What is wonder under, how does it work and where can you get it. :?: :?: I took an applique class and we used freezer paper which worked well but I am always willing to try something else. Thank you in advance for any help.

Wonder Under is another brand of fusible, its fairly light weight, (they do have differnt weights)It is made by "Pellon"What i get is by the yard sold off the bolt.I have gotten it at Walmart and Hancocks. It is usually with the iron on interfacing that is sold by the yard. Hope this helps

Does the wonder under stay on with the fabric after it is sewn to the block fabric or do you have to cut the back of the block and remove it like freezer paper. :?: :?: