Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Applique help >

Applique help

Applique help

Old 08-24-2020, 12:06 PM

Default Applique help

I'm working on a Dresden Plate quilt. 2 questions:
Have you ever used silk thread to do your applique and if so, what was your experience and what brand did you use?
Is there a thread color that blends well with lights and darks?
Old 08-24-2020, 12:42 PM
Power Poster

I use silk thread for appliqué, EPP, binding, any hand stitching I want the stitches to be invisible. I have many colors of silk thread. Clover, YLI, superior threads tire silk, I try silk thread whenever I find some that is reasonably priced. I love silk thread for hand stitching. It is smooth, strong and disappears
Old 08-24-2020, 12:44 PM

I have never used silk but read that Coats & Clark Rayon 40 wt thread was a good substitute I have a spool in light beige/cream color that seems to disappear into any color fabric. But, it is so fine that it's hard to keep the needle threaded! Plus you must use a needle with a very teeny, tiny eye. The label says it's for Decorative Sewing, machine stitching, topstitching and embroidery. It has a sheen. The other thread I've used with more success is Coats & Clark FINE wt Rayon thread that is polyester covered polyester. It is beige color and has no sheen. I like it best.
Old 08-24-2020, 01:15 PM

I tried silk and it worked nicely, but the price scared me off, especially since you have to purchase it by the spool. I prefer Bottom Line, it's a 60 wt thread and you can buy one of those plastic donuts full of prewound bobbins in a huge rainbow of colors for the price of 4-5 spools of silk. IMO it sinks in and blends just as beautifully as silk.
Old 08-24-2020, 03:43 PM
Power Poster

How does silk thread hold up - as compared to cotton or polyester - for an item that will be used a lot? (washed frequently)
Old 08-24-2020, 06:44 PM

I used silk once to sew down the binding but it kept breaking--sure is silky to the touch though!. For your applique, i do think it would be ok, or a #60 poly like Superior MicroQuilter. But you might also try Superior's or YLI's invisible thread. Be sure to use a thread net to keep it from spooling off too fast and a smaller needle as it's super fine. superior's has both totally clear and a smoky clear for darks. that is usually what I use if I have multiple colors to work on.
Old 08-24-2020, 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by quiltingshorttimer View Post
For your applique, i do think it would be ok, or a #60 poly like Superior MicroQuilter.
Not to pick nits, but MicroQuilter is #100.
Old 08-25-2020, 02:24 AM

I use silk thread for hand applique all the time - Gutermans is what is available here at Joann's so that's what I use. I try to match the piece I'm appliqueing to the thread, but sometimes I use gray if I can't match it well. I also have a strange greenish beige that works well. I don't use long pieces of thread when I applique so find I don't get many tangles. Give it a try!
Old 08-25-2020, 12:18 PM

I have a friend that does beautiful applique and silk thread is all that she uses and she loves it. Not sure of what brand she uses but she did say it is quite pricey.