Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
applique with minky? >

applique with minky?

applique with minky?

Old 01-12-2016, 06:19 AM

Minky does not fray. When you cut minky you end up cutting some of the nap, and that is what all those little pieces are. I use my lint roller to get rid of them, or sometimes I use my mini vacuum when I am using the swirl minky or the other minkys that have a lot of nap. Also, you can iron minky. Lay it on the ironing board wrong side up, cover it with a pressing cloth (I use a piece of Kona cotton for this) and iron like normal. If you are ironing the dot minky, or bubble minky as some people call it, you will lose the dots. Ironing the other types of minky does not harm it.
I make a lot of dolls and stuffed animals using minky and love it except for the mess it makes. Using my mini vac and lint roller helps me take care of the mess. It is sort of a pain, but I think the finished products are worth it.
Old 01-12-2016, 08:41 AM

I have made 2 baby quilts TOTALLY out of minky and they turned out great -the babies loved them. I used spray baste to hold the pieces prior to appliquing them
Attached Thumbnails img_1969.jpg  
Old 01-12-2016, 09:38 AM

Default Minky

Originally Posted by IQ2 View Post
Thanks Maniac. Maybe it's a better idea to back it with fabric and turn it out so the bond would be on regular fabric instead of the minky. That might help with the stretchy part, too....but you have me probably re-thinking the plan altogether.

I USE MINKY ON MY QUIKT BACKS A LOT BUT THAT IS ONE THING THAT GIVES ME TROUBKE IS THE 505 spray sat doesn't stick good to it. I spray then pin some. Never tried the applique but I would think you would have to turn the edges under.
Old 01-12-2016, 02:47 PM
IQ2

Originally Posted by Rosasta0 View Post
I have made 2 baby quilts TOTALLY out of minky and they turned out great -the babies loved them. I used spray baste to hold the pieces prior to appliquing them
adorable! great job
Old 01-12-2016, 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by costumegirl View Post
I made a baby quilt for a friend's daughter that had 9 minky sheep on it - made the basic quilt out of cotton but appliqued minky sheep - it turned out great - has been washed many times and is still in "almost new" shape

I did not use raw edge applique for the sheep as minky has the tendancy to "shed and ravel" it's edges when cut.

I cut my sheep a little larger than than the pattern and putting right sides together sewed on a muslin backing to each - used a 1/4" seam and left a little opening to turn right side out after clipping the curves - now the minky edges were secure and enclosed - no shedding or ravelling or dealing with loss of fabric and applique size.

I next embroidered the faces and details on my sheep by hand going through the minky and backing - this helped secure the applique piece for shifting.
I then hand appliqued the sheep on the cotton quilt blocks using the muslin backing of each to anchor my thread.

I don't have a pic to share but it really turned out great and was very easy to do.

(Just a thought, instead of leaving an opening, you could sew all around the shape, clip curves and corners, then put a small slit in the muslin to turn it under so all edges are secure and not shedding.)
Old 01-12-2016, 06:39 PM

A member of my sewing group won a national award for her Minkee quilt with machine embroidery (rather than applique). Do you have an embroidery machine?
Old 01-13-2016, 09:37 AM
IQ2

How exciting for her...I know I'd never reach that level!

I don't have an embroidery machine...just a DSM with embroidery stitches. I'm not as concerned with the artistic results (though I hope they're good) as much as whether it will hold up with wear. I'm hoping it's used a lot, for a long time
Old 01-13-2016, 11:53 AM

I used minky for my GGD baby quilt. Once you cut it, put it in the dryer with a dryer ball and fluff it for about 10 minutes. This removes all the loose stuff that would drive you bonkers. You can quilt over it as you would any other fabric if you spray baste it. You can applique it with zigzag or buttonhole stitches. Good Luck with it and have fun.
Old 01-13-2016, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by IQ2 View Post
Greetings, folks, and happy new year to all! My nephew and his wife are expecting a new baby and I'm going to make my very first baby quilt for them. I've been browsing patterns and fabrics and trying to decide on a pattern. I've been thinking about some applique teddy bears in Minky Dimples, but I want something that will hold up to multiple washings and lots of use...not an heirloom work of art. I'd appreciate input from those of you who have used it in baby quilts.

Does the Minky fabric wash well and wear well over time? Also, does it work for raw edge applique?

Would you suggest any other fabrics that might work better for a textured applique?

Thanks in advance for your advice. You're always so generous about sharing your knowledge and experience.
i have done several quilts for my grand daughters using minky and faux fur. my last one for the youngest was a scrap quilt of minky & kitty appliques. cut your shape and tops stitch down on to whatever for background fabric. it's much heavier than flannel or regular fabric so my background is textured minky. makes for a heavy little "blanket" but the girls don't seem to mind and the quilts are used, washed, by a "wash everything till it dies" former dil, and they hold up very very well. a little fussy to make, but a lot easier than the earlier satin quilts with tons of lace made for them were ). i cut all my shapes, go outside and shake the loose "fur" off, then back in to sew. after i've completed my progect i take out the scraps & leftovers and shake before rolling into tied bundles to store until next bright idea comes along. minky and fur are so messy the clerk at the fabric store teases me each time i am in to buy more and asks "have you got the mess from the last one cleaned up yet?" yes !! lollol ..i clean as i work, otherwise it's into everything. also, because it's a poly fabric i use good paper scissors to cut it instead of my better quilting/sewing scissors. the paper scissors, fiskers, have no problem making nice cuts to intricate shapes. i've done 3-D flowers, cats, and one wolf head. i've also made hats, purses and with the scraps a few boas. all went well, all much loved & still going strong.
Old 01-13-2016, 04:48 PM
IQ2

Thanks so much for all of the helpful tips!