Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
applique with minky? >

applique with minky?

applique with minky?

Old 01-10-2016, 07:26 AM
IQ2

Default applique with minky?

Greetings, folks, and happy new year to all! My nephew and his wife are expecting a new baby and I'm going to make my very first baby quilt for them. I've been browsing patterns and fabrics and trying to decide on a pattern. I've been thinking about some applique teddy bears in Minky Dimples, but I want something that will hold up to multiple washings and lots of use...not an heirloom work of art. I'd appreciate input from those of you who have used it in baby quilts.

Does the Minky fabric wash well and wear well over time? Also, does it work for raw edge applique?

Would you suggest any other fabrics that might work better for a textured applique?

Thanks in advance for your advice. You're always so generous about sharing your knowledge and experience.
Old 01-10-2016, 07:36 AM
Power Poster

My only concern would be would fusible bond stick to it because is is very stretchy and thick to work with.
Old 01-10-2016, 08:18 AM
IQ2

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 View Post
My only concern would be would fusible bond stick to it because is is very stretchy and thick to work with.
Thanks Maniac. Maybe it's a better idea to back it with fabric and turn it out so the bond would be on regular fabric instead of the minky. That might help with the stretchy part, too....but you have me probably re-thinking the plan altogether.
Old 01-10-2016, 08:18 AM
Power Poster

I know Minky sheds along a cut edge. I don't know if it would continue to shed in raw edge appliqué. Try a little test block and see how it goes. They say not to iron on patterned Minky so I don't know how you would use a fusible.
Old 01-10-2016, 08:19 AM
IQ2

Yup--definitely going back to the drawing board on this one! Thanks. I'm glad I asked before going ahead with this.
Old 01-10-2016, 08:25 AM

I made a baby quilt for a friend's daughter that had 9 minky sheep on it - made the basic quilt out of cotton but appliqued minky sheep - it turned out great - has been washed many times and is still in "almost new" shape

I did not use raw edge applique for the sheep as minky has the tendancy to "shed and ravel" it's edges when cut.

I cut my sheep a little larger than than the pattern and putting right sides together sewed on a muslin backing to each - used a 1/4" seam and left a little opening to turn right side out after clipping the curves - now the minky edges were secure and enclosed - no shedding or ravelling or dealing with loss of fabric and applique size.

I next embroidered the faces and details on my sheep by hand going through the minky and backing - this helped secure the applique piece for shifting.
I then hand appliqued the sheep on the cotton quilt blocks using the muslin backing of each to anchor my thread.

I don't have a pic to share but it really turned out great and was very easy to do.
Old 01-10-2016, 09:11 AM

Another option might be washable felt (made from recycled plastic). I made the quilt in my avatar for my nephew with it & it has held up great with washing every 1-2 weeks for nearly 2 years (in spite of the fact I underquilted it because I didn't know any better). They sell it on bolts at JAF -- it's much cheaper than real felted wool & looks adorable.

Last edited by Bree123; 01-10-2016 at 09:13 AM.
Old 01-10-2016, 09:16 AM
Power Poster

I too have made baby quilts with minkie applique. They are so nice! Hold up well to use and laundering. I, like costumegirl, used muslin as a stabilizer, right sides together stitched around the appliques... I did not leave an opening, I stitched all the way around. Then I cut an X in the center of the muslin to turn after clipping curves. Then I added Heat n Bond Lite and fused in place. Machine stitched with a machine blanket stitch on some, used a small zigzag on a couple ( I prefer the blanket stitch). Also added some detail stitching to help hold the appliques in shape.
The first one I made is 10 years old now, still a favorite 'blankie' that goes everywhere with that ( little Linus)
Old 01-10-2016, 10:27 AM
IQ2

Wow! I guess I backed off the idea too soon. I am now back to my original thoughts. Thanks so much for the input. I will try out a practice block first, but I think it can really be cute.
Old 01-10-2016, 10:36 AM
IQ2

Originally Posted by Bree123 View Post
Another option might be washable felt (made from recycled plastic). I made the quilt in my avatar for my nephew with it & it has held up great with washing every 1-2 weeks for nearly 2 years (in spite of the fact I underquilted it because I didn't know any better). They sell it on bolts at JAF -- it's much cheaper than real felted wool & looks adorable.
Thanks, Bree. I'll have to look into that. It may be easier to work with and just as cute.
...so many decisions to make!