Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Applique Patterns: Is there anything else out there besides bird & flower patterns? >

Applique Patterns: Is there anything else out there besides bird & flower patterns?

Applique Patterns: Is there anything else out there besides bird & flower patterns?

Old 05-23-2013, 03:46 AM

I don't have time to read the whole post and don't know if it has already been mentioned, but I always wondered if a beginners color book would be a good source. You know, the first coloring book for a child. They usually have bold and simplistic pictures without a lot of jigs and jags.I haven't personally tried since I have not done applique (maybe some day - way too many irons in the fire right now ha ha ha) What do you think?
Old 05-23-2013, 05:11 AM
Suz

I suggest Edyta Sitar patterns.
Old 05-23-2013, 05:19 AM

Originally Posted by mckwilter View Post
Try Fat Cat Patterns http://www.fatcatpatterns.com/. They have a lot of different patterns. I'm doing the free BOM Angels right now.
Thank you sew much mckwilter! I downloaded several of her free patterns.
Old 05-23-2013, 05:20 AM

Originally Posted by Suz View Post
I suggest Edyta Sitar patterns.
I agree.....love, love her designs.
Old 05-23-2013, 05:30 AM

You could go to the library and get woodworking patterns -copy them. They are very basic and much like color books and have all things you can imagine. And maybe some you haven't thought of. It doesn't matter if the books are recent are new or old.
Old 05-23-2013, 05:31 AM

Originally Posted by Groovy Pieces View Post
I want to learn to machine applique. The books on the market seem to only use birds and flowers. I"M NOT A BIRD & FLOWER KINDA GIRL. Can anyone suggest or point me in the direction of an applique book that has other designs/themes other than the birds & flowers?

Thanks in advance for all your help.
i put music notes and G clef on my quilt
Old 05-23-2013, 06:04 AM

You can applique anything at all. If you want some simple patterns, try a kids coloring book. You can simplify most patterns to meet your taste. Good luck! I just love applique, welcome to the club!
Old 05-23-2013, 06:15 AM

Originally Posted by Lisa_wanna_b_quilter View Post
If you can trace it, you can applique it. You can look for designs anywhere.
Absolutely! Dover Press has a lot of designs in their "coloring" books. I have about 10 which I use for design ideas, sometimes actually using the pictures as they are. The suggestion that you want to learn to applique.... You read up on the different methods and decide which you want to use (or perhaps try them all on a simple design and choose your favorite, which will probably change for different effects... but probably not on a single quilt).

Put "applique" into the box in the upper right hand corner of any QB page and you'll find all the advice you'd ever want!!!
Old 05-23-2013, 10:52 AM

I have seen some beautiful Sunbonnet Sue appliqued (machine). The book I have has patterns for baby quilts, wall hangings and a full-size quilt. What's really fun is to increase the size of the pattern pieces, increase the block sizes to accommodate the larager pattern pieces, then double the number of blocks to make your quilt a very nice size. A baby quilt 28" X 36" just seems far too small to me! The book of Sunbonnet Sue patterns I have is 10-12 years old and I don't remember the name of it -- I'm working today and it's at home! I'll try to look it up tonight and get back in touch with you.

Jeanette Frantz
Old 05-23-2013, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by Groovy Pieces View Post
I want to learn to machine applique. The books on the market seem to only use birds and flowers. I"M NOT A BIRD & FLOWER KINDA GIRL. Can anyone suggest or point me in the direction of an applique book that has other designs/themes other than the birds & flowers?

Thanks in advance for all your help.
if it can be drawn, you can applique. (within reason!)