Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Applique "puffing out" quilt >

Applique "puffing out" quilt

Applique "puffing out" quilt

Old 02-07-2022, 10:09 PM

Default Applique "puffing out" quilt

I have done a quilt and when I took it off the long arm, some of the applique areas are sort of puffing out a bit. As a result, the quilt doesn't lie completely flat in those areas.
I did a lot of research and basted everything before I outline stitched the applique areas. Then went in and quilted the inside.
This is a pretty big applique...bigger than a large dog...and most of it turned out really well but there are two or three areas that are puffy.
I can't remove the applique...Any ideas on what to do?
Could I add some more quilting in the negative space on my domestic? Would that tack it down, or just push the problem off somewhere else?
Could I try dampening it and blow-drying it on high to try and shrink the fabric?
Thanks, Watson
Attached Thumbnails img_0341.jpg  
Old 02-08-2022, 05:29 AM

I think if you add more quilting to the inside of applique (where it is puffy), that will help tack it down more. you may have to do a little dance with your fingers on the fabric and you go over it to help take in any extra fabric as needed.
Old 02-08-2022, 08:32 AM

Hmmmm, is this quilt one that will be washed? that alone may help "hide" this fluffiness. It's really not bad. We all know fabrics have a mind of their own.
Old 02-08-2022, 08:58 AM

Watson, I know how meticulous and knowledgeable you are and how frustrating this must be for you. I agree with LAF2019 that more stitching is probably the best answer. Also, no reason not to do it on your domestic sewing machine if that's easier than putting it back on the longarm. Good luck and I hope we will see it soon!
Old 02-08-2022, 11:48 AM
Power Poster

I think some quilting in the section also. What colour is the backing? Can the thread colour you want on the backing also be used to quilt something in the front appliqué? If not, perhaps a pearly gold thread would look nice in the sections.
Old 02-08-2022, 01:20 PM

If I quilt a motif across up the entire length, will that work?

It's not being washed.

Watson
Old 02-08-2022, 05:01 PM
Power Poster

Another option might be to stuff some filling in from the back, a la trapunto.
Old 02-09-2022, 05:43 AM

This occurs when the background fabric behind an applique is not trimmed away. Although more stitching might help, l favour misting with starch/ water and hovering a steam iron just above the surface of that poufy area. This is my go to method for puffy sashings as well. I often do this right on the frame using my travel steamer. I don't think a blow dryer would work as well as steam.