Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
applique question >

applique question

applique question

Old 12-17-2018, 04:01 AM

Default applique question

I am working on a memory quilt for my niece. I was going to make some hearts out of one of my sister's dresses and then applique them onto blocks.

My question is - should I interface the fabric before I use wonder under? Or just wonder under alone?

The dress is knit and I know will be hard to work with But I just don't want to make it too heavy either

What do you think?
Old 12-17-2018, 04:35 AM

With knit fabric you will want to use interfacing.
Old 12-17-2018, 05:03 AM

so interface and then do the wonder under - right? I just don't want it to be too heavy so I am paranoid
Old 12-17-2018, 05:42 AM
Power Poster

Try to iron a sample of wonderunder to knit. It may not stick or the knit may warp. I might try the technique of drawing a simple heart shape on a dryer sheet or similar, lay it on the right side of the knit, stitch the outline, slit the sheet and carefully turn it right side out. I would then use a machine buttonhole stitch or hand appliqué it down.
Old 12-17-2018, 06:45 AM

I am such a detail person, that there is so much more I need to know.

How many blocks are you talking about? Will all of them have a heart? How big will the finished quilt be?

If only a few will have hearts, or if they are small, why not think about doing the hearts like Tartan suggested, but stuffing some of them with puffy batting so that they stand out? I would actually sew the batting into the seam so that the batting stays in place after washing. I really like the appliques that have the backs already sewn on them. When you finish attaching them to the quilt there are no raw edges to fray as the quilt gets washed later.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=meFsMXJeXGk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djvh4Hx6ZoA

Edited to add: After watching the second video, I decided I would go ahead and cut the slit in the backing interfacing so that I don't have to worry if I were going to add the stuffing in this step. It will also insure that you don't accidently cut into the top layer of your real applique fabric. (Yes, I am the klutz that would slit the top open and have to redo the whole applique piece.) If you place the glued part where it will turn next to the batting, and then press, the batting will be glued to the backing interfacing. You can use fabric that is the same color as your applique and not worry about the glue.

Last edited by Barb in Louisiana; 12-17-2018 at 06:53 AM.
Old 12-17-2018, 07:50 AM

Thank you for your thoughts

Honestly I don't know how many blocks I will have. The quilts will probably be like 70 x 60. But that is a pure guess as I have to dig into everything yet.

I am expecting there to be a few different sized hearts. Larger ones to keep the clothing identifiable and then smaller ones to use up scraps

I never even thought about a puffy heart... hhmmm......................

Thanks for the video links. I watch them later and see what I can learn
Old 12-17-2018, 10:33 AM

I would suggest a light weight interfacing. With knit fabrics it would stretch out of shape if you don't use some sort of stablizer.
Old 12-18-2018, 05:45 AM

If it's knit, how about using a fusible interfacing similar to that you'd use for a T-shirt quilt?
Old 12-18-2018, 07:05 AM

Originally Posted by coopah View Post
If it's knit, how about using a fusible interfacing similar to that you'd use for a T-shirt quilt?
That is the interfacing that I have. My only concern is that with both the interfacing and the wonder under things would get stiff

I have never used wonder under so I was not sure

sounds like I will be using both based on what everyone is saying..