Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Applique questions >

Applique questions

Applique questions

Old 11-25-2017, 05:40 AM

Default Applique questions

I've never appliqued before but am going to take a stab at it with some small pillows for Christmas gifts. The pattern I'm using has 10 different pieces to cut out. Already I'm stuck with what is probably a very stupid question!! How do I cut these out? Are there special scissors? Cutting out clothes for my paper dolls was never one of my strong points and I don't imagine I'll do much better with these.

Another question. After cutting out, what is the best way to trace? Paper seems so flimsy. The directions say to use paper or card stock. I'm not sure what card stock is other than it must be thicker than paper, but how much thicker? Do I copy the pieces onto "card stock"and from there trace around the pieces onto the fabric?

I feel silly asking what are probably very simple questions but I have to start somewhere.
Old 11-25-2017, 05:46 AM
Power Poster

It depends on what kind of appliqué it is. If they are asking for you to cut out a pattern from card stock ( recipe card or similar) it sounds like needle turn applique. After cutting out a pattern from card stock ( make sure if the piece needs reversing you do that with your pattern) place it on the wrong side of the fabric and draw around it. Cut out 1/4 inch from the line with fabric scissors.
There are many good tutorials on YouTube for needle turn applique for the next steps.
Old 11-25-2017, 05:52 AM
Power Poster

there are many techniques for applique. i believe needle turn is the most traditional. then i learned to use freezer paper. these days, it seems there is a lot of raw edge applique. here is a link to some youtube videos showing the different methods. the first one says it is for beginners. if i were you, i'd take some simple shapes... circles or small strips and try the different methods to see what you like the best. keep us updated on your progress. https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C...w=1030&bih=754
Old 11-25-2017, 09:39 AM
Power Poster

Is it fusible applique? Or turned edge applique? The cutting out is different for the two types. If you have a link to the pattern, that might help us give appropriate advice. I agree that it would be very helpful for you to check out YouTube videos.
Old 11-25-2017, 11:07 AM

Fusible applique that is machine stitched down is the quickest way to do applique. Needle turn is a great skill to have but can take time to do. If it's fusible then you will trace it onto the fusible. Can you show us the pattern so we can help more?
Old 11-25-2017, 11:48 AM

Thank you for your help. I've taken a look at some of the youtube videos. It definitely helps to see someone doing it. I bought the pattern because it said beginner and the comments said it was very easy. haha!! Maybe for them! I think I am one of those learners who has to see rather than read. The directions that came with this include both machine (no folding edges under) and hand applique. Is needle turn the same as machine? I'm going to do machine. I'd like to do hand but not enough time between now and Christmas. I went to JoAnn this morning and got a good deal on 3 different kinds of interface and pillow forms (40% off, plus my coupon for an additional 25% off). Came home and realized I forgot to get muslin for another project. Oh well.

Here is a picture of what I hope to applique. This is a mug but I'm doing as a pillow instead.
https://www.etsy.com/listing/4893027...=sr_gallery_31

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 11-26-2017 at 09:10 AM. Reason: replace copyright pic with link
Old 11-25-2017, 12:00 PM
Power Poster

Needleturn can be done either by hand or machine. It just means that the fabric is turned under around the edges. Raw edge can also be done either by hand or machine. Raw edge means there is no fabric turned under; the edge is simply cut.

Probably what you are wanting to do is fusible applique with a raw edge. This is the easiest. The edges do fray a bit with washings, but that is an expected look for raw edge fusible applique. You can do the stitching along the edges by hand or machine. Hand sewing through a fusible can be difficult, so most fusible applique is done by machine.

If you want the stitch to look like the one in the photo, you will need to do some experimenting with your machine. When I did this type of stitch on my Bernina 1230, I used a reverse blanket stitch and threaded my machine with 2 spools of black thread (treating both threads as if they were one when I was threading the machine). Doubling the thread made the stitch show up better. If you post the brand and model of your machine, someone here may be able to give you hints that apply to your machine.

If the picture will not be washed, you could even skip stitching and just mark the stitches with black permanent marker! If you do this, you could then machine straight stitch (quilt) around the outlines to achieve dimensionality.

You mentioned buying interfacing. Interfacing usually has just one side that is fusible. You can use interfacing with the Eleanor Burns method of applique (sew right side of fabric to interfacing, then slit the interfacing and turn the piece so the fabric has a lining made of interfacing), but most fusible applique using double-sided fusibles.

So you are making a pillow?
Old 11-26-2017, 03:40 AM

If you want the look of needle turn applique, but find as I did, that it is just too fiddly for you, here is a tutorial I did to show how I make applique work for me. Hope it is helpful yo you.

Easy appliqué tutorial I promised
Old 11-26-2017, 04:21 AM

Wow Meadow, it that is your first appliqué, you did a splendid job. I, too, am just learning appliqué and have found many helpful YouTube videos and helpful tutorials.

Thank you Madamekelly for the QB link...
Old 11-26-2017, 11:34 AM

Jan Pateks video on you tube is awesome!