Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Applique - white onto red >

Applique - white onto red

Applique - white onto red

Old 07-25-2021, 02:10 PM

Default Applique - white onto red

Hey Y'all!
I've got a question regarding applique - I need to applique some white satin letters down onto a red silky fabric. I don't want the red to show thru'. I pondered doubling the white fabric via a fusible between the 2 layers - but it would have to be a fusible that can be sewn like HeatnBond Lite maybe??? Any other thoughts on how this would best be handled?

I'll be satin stitching the letters down - with a tear away stabilizer underneath.I can't use a fusible on this step because I'm fearful of the red fabric not handling the heat well.

Any and all suggestions are welcome!
Thanks!
Donna Mc
Old 07-25-2021, 02:47 PM

Will this be something that will be washed?

For banners with no see through, consider a felt layer. No heat needed but maybe some spray or good stabilization. The problem with this is the weight and then drape.

Typically when I applique I do the sew on interfacing and turn inside out method -- that doesn't always work well with letters and usually gives a tiny bit of puff that isn't ideal if you want very flat.
Old 07-25-2021, 03:31 PM
Power Poster

A double layer of white fabric should make them show up well . I layer of heat and bond LITE or similar will be okay but check with scraps first to see if the amount of heat you need for the fusible doesn’t shrink up the satin.
Old 07-25-2021, 05:11 PM

I'd either do a double layer, or cut away the red behind the white (make sure you go a little bit past the red seam allowance) and use a bright white batting, as opposed to something off-white such as W&N.
Old 07-26-2021, 04:05 AM

You may want to use an off-white fabric layer under the white fabric. Like to the concept of wearing white pants with white underwear that shows through. Beige doesn't show.

Misty fuse is a sheer fusible that is another option to fuse the two layers. Good luck!
Old 07-26-2021, 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by Rhonda K View Post
You may want to use an off-white fabric layer under the white fabric. Like to the concept of wearing white pants with white underwear that shows through. Beige doesn't show.
I agree with this with white clothing (I always wear off-white bras with white tops), but when you're using white fabric, you have to keep in mind that the seam allowances will show, and if you're using off-white fabric under, the seam allowances will pop out a lot brighter. The only way you can use off-white fabric underneath and not have the seam allowances show is if you press everything away from the white fabrics.
Old 07-28-2021, 03:07 PM

Thank you all for the feedback. I think I'll try the HeatnBond lite and doubling up on the white just to keep it flat and smooth.
The background/red fabric was delivered yesterday. I'll go purchase fusible & the satin fabrics tomorrow, then plan to spend Friday and most of the weekend fusing, cutting, hand gluing ~ and maybe even get to the satin stitching stage. MAYBE!
Wahoo - I haven't had any sewing projects going this summer - It's time to get back in the saddle!

Thanks again for sharing your wisdom!
Donna Mc