Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Appreciation for the "scrappy quilt" >

Appreciation for the "scrappy quilt"

Appreciation for the "scrappy quilt"

Old 11-01-2011, 04:11 AM

I make scrappy quilts just to use up leftovers and give them to charity. I am really not fond of them. I prefer planned out ones although I have seen some really gorgeous ones on here and at shows.
Old 11-01-2011, 04:18 AM

You know I have always been afraid to say that while I think most scrappy quilts are beautiful I really don't like the scrappy look very much. I love the planned out loot and solors that coordinate.
Old 11-01-2011, 04:25 AM

My grandmother always made her quilts scrappy, so I find that I love that look also, but when I look at some of these other gorgeous quits too with their amazing designs and details I can't wait till i can do those too!
Old 11-01-2011, 04:25 AM

My grandmother always made her quilts scrappy, so I find that I love that look also, but when I look at some of these other gorgeous quits too with their amazing designs and details I can't wait till i can do those too!
Old 11-01-2011, 04:30 AM

Been quilting for many years and have never made a scrap quilt. Closest I've done is a very random log cabin. DId do a sampler too. Even then, I obscessed over what was next to what as far as color and pattern. I love the look of both but the thought of pulling out fabric after fabric scrap in an already cluttered sewing room doesn't do it for me. Maybe I'll reconsider once I'm retired. Right now I'm doing yo-yos with the smaller fabric pieces.
Old 11-01-2011, 04:35 AM

I love both. I make my traditional block quilts, then I make a scrappy one from the scraps (what a concept, huh?). Double the pleasure from the same fabric. A win-win for me :-)
Old 11-01-2011, 04:40 AM

I think Deb Watkins summed it up perfectly when she said, "... scrappy messes with my OCD mind". I recently completed a sampler done in 1930 repro prints. I used Irish chain setting blocks and a piano key border. It drove me nuts! I spent weeks worrying about the setting blocks and borders before I was able to start. THEN I had to TRY to put some order into it, and I agonized some more. Everyone in my quilting group says it's very pretty, but I am not at all fond of it! Will post pics when the quilting and binding are done.
Old 11-01-2011, 04:50 AM

Love scrappy too
Old 11-01-2011, 04:56 AM

This is one of those opinion things. Just as we all like a certain kind of vehicle we all like our own kinds of quilts. I really enjoy just starting something and designing as I go. There have been some much loved quilts done this way. I often have to use what I have so this works for me.
Old 11-01-2011, 04:57 AM

ditto on liking both kinds.

I also would suggest that scrappy quilts ARE planned.
You don't have a really good one if you don't consider placement of all the fabrics and how the eye moves along from one area to another.

What might be the difference between scrappy and "other" is that you start out with select "new" fabrics and limit the number to under a dozen?