Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Apprehensive about spending >

Apprehensive about spending

Apprehensive about spending

Old 09-09-2010, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by Janetlmt

May I make a suggestion...
If you are going to Hershey..drive the extra 22 miles and go to Martins Fabrics in Meyerstown. They have the most beautiful Marcus Brothers fabrics on their flat fold table for 3.25 a yard. I was there on two occassions in the past month and you would not believe the fabric that I got for a scrap quilt I am making. You can purchase 1/2 yards.
Hope this helps..I have a pattern that would be great. I made it in 4 days! Scraps quilts have never been my love..but..I started to like them more and more.
Peace and Blessings
Ohh that sounds like my kind of place!
But I am unable to drive. and Hubby has to work at the convention :(
Maybe another time when he doesn't have to work and we are going through there.

Originally Posted by raptureready
Spend it on hundreds of things in your mind--then get down to reality. What is it that you truly need? Fabric? Blades? an new mat? Batting? Backing? (personally unless a quilt is something OUTSTANDING I hate spending much on the backing) Patterns? Books? Rulers? Thread? new Scissors? Make a list of the Could Buys, then cross off everything but the Want To Buys. From that list cross off everything but the Need to Buys and then go from there. This is what I do and it works for me. I take my list and my money, keep the list in my purse and get what I want when I get there. LOL

I dont really need anything but fabric.
I have some blades, 1 cutter a few rulers and 2 mats. I have a bolt of batting my husband got me for my anniversary.

So fabric it is.
I shop where I can. Although I could take my money that I spend at Joann and save it up to shop at a LQS then I would be doing a few quilts a year.
Nothing wrong with that but I like making things and when you are stuck at home it is important to have things to do.

So with this lqs fabric I want to make a nice quilt. so I am just going to have to see what their prices are and if I can find anything for a bargain.
Old 09-09-2010, 01:14 PM

I am afraid to admit this but if I were in Hershey,PA. I would be spending my money on CHOCOLATE and more CHOCOLATE and maybe a facial with CHOCOLATE.
Old 09-09-2010, 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by zyxquilts
Hey AbbyQuilts, who said you can't use JoAnn fabrics with your LQS fabrics? I know it wasn't me! I am lucky enough to have a pretty large stash, accumulated over the last 15 or so years. To tell you the truth, in most cases, I have no idea where I bought that particular piece of fabric! So mine are happily mixed together on the shelves & and in my quilts.
Find the one - or two - or three fabrics that just call out to you & buy as much as your budget will allow. If that isn't enough to make the size quilt you want, add in some JoAnn fabric!
Whatever you decide, enjoy your trip to Hershey & have a grand time at the LQS, fondling & gazing, & smelling :wink: the fabrics & other goodies they have there!
:D :D :D :D :D
Agreed!!! No one said a quilt had to be ALL from LQS. You can find lots of less expensive fabrics that can go with a "must have" fabric from LQS. Enjoy yourself!!!
Old 09-09-2010, 01:27 PM

You could always check to see if they have a website. They might have sales listed and some of them show what they have on sale,that way you could kind of get an idea in advance.
Old 09-09-2010, 01:28 PM

Abby,
If I were you, I would be pretty tempted to drive 40 minutes from Hershey to Lancaster and hit a few Amish fabric stores where the average price is around $6.00 a yard and many fabrics are even lower priced for LQS quality fabric. Your money would go a lot farther.
Old 09-09-2010, 02:20 PM
tmw

could you save this money and add onto it,? and wait for a really big sale, i know it will be hard!!!!!
Old 09-09-2010, 02:21 PM
tmw

could you save this money and add onto it,? and wait for a really big sale, i know it will be hard!!!!!
Old 09-09-2010, 02:34 PM

Have a great time.There's more than one fabric store in Hershey.Ask for the sale area when you go in.Myself, I look & admire, but seldom spend unless there's a sale area.
Old 09-10-2010, 02:22 AM

Been there, done that! I have bought my focal or main fabric at LQS and then the supporting fabrics at JoAnn, Hancocks or even WalMart. Works for me and saves me a LOT!
Old 09-10-2010, 03:17 AM

Originally Posted by justme2
Have a great time.There's more than one fabric store in Hershey.Ask for the sale area when you go in.Myself, I look & admire, but seldom spend unless there's a sale area.
Just wondering if the Hershey area has a local bus ? I'd ask at the motel/hotel.Also, look up the Chamber of Commerce or tourist
office & ask if they have transportation to a store you want to visit? Most
places will try to help.