Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
April OR/WA Quilter's Open House >

April OR/WA Quilter's Open House

April OR/WA Quilter's Open House

Old 03-12-2010, 07:24 AM

I did suggest each contributing a block for a quilt. I 'm not too familiar with the QOV program but I believe they accept tops and have additional volunteers who are long arm quilters. I'm not sure how many blocks we would be able to get from our group, but we could ask on the board for others to contribute a block.
I don't have any experience in this, and realized when I looked at my stash, I don't even have appropriate fabrics. Wow another reason to go shopping.
As far a block size I was thinking fairly large 10 or 12 inch. What would you suggest? I was thinking of some star block pattern. Should the blocks all be different patterns or not?
I'm not promising to have it done by the 28th as I have lots going on right now.
Old 03-12-2010, 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by Sparky
I did suggest each contributing a block for a quilt. I 'm not too familiar with the QOV program but I believe they accept tops and have additional volunteers who are long arm quilters. I'm not sure how many blocks we would be able to get from our group, but we could ask on the board for others to contribute a block.
I don't have any experience in this, and realized when I looked at my stash, I don't even have appropriate fabrics. Wow another reason to go shopping.
As far a block size I was thinking fairly large 10 or 12 inch. What would you suggest? I was thinking of some star block pattern. Should the blocks all be different patterns or not?
I'm not promising to have it done by the 28th as I have lots going on right now.
May I make a suggestion? QOV is a good organization for teaching and encouraging quilters to reach out to USA veterans.
However, I know for a fact that if you live in America, you are living, surrounded by veterans. As a member of the American Legion Auxiliary, it is a source of frustration to me (and, it might just be a personal problem) that local quilters are gung ho to send a quilt out of their community or state into some other place at a large expense to themselves.
There are long arm quilters for QOV ... and they would like you to send them money for shipping the completed quilt to someone else for distribution ... and, they would like you to include the batting, the backing, and the binding ... and for a small fee, they will put a label on the back of the quilt with your names as piecers ...
When you take resources from your community, whether it is product or $$ ... to do something for someone, when the someone is probably living right next door to you ... it frustrates me (and, again, I am saying: It might just be a personal problem for myself) ...

If the best your group can do is to create a quilt top or gather blocks, I will personally donate to the cause by providing the flannel backing, the binding, AND the quilting and batting (since this is what I do for veterans) ... and, I will locate an American Legion Post/Auxiliary in your area who can make sure a local veteran receives the benefit of your appreciation and talent.
But, please .... think locally in your generosity ... imagine all the different communities we will be having these open houses ... and, imagine the impact a group of friends can have to thank those who put their lives on the line so that we have been able to enjoy the freedoms we have.
And, one more thing ... as one military wife noted: If you make the quilt too Red, White, and Blue, the veteran will feel that they are being buried under a flag ... and, they will be reluctant to use the quilt/lap robe/throw because flag etiquette is the most definitive act of patriotism these soldiers observe ...
In America, the lives we live, the beauty we observe are all testaments to the veterans who have provided safety and security and almost EVERY color style and quilt theme speaks of the bounty of our nation .... your gift of the laprobe, combined with your unique expression of joy in building a quilt block from fabrics you enjoy ... that is TOTALLY acceptable to our American veterans, and very much appreciated AND enjoyed. <wave>
Old 03-12-2010, 07:50 AM

Thank you for your imput. Sometimes I'm a little dense and need it spelled out for me. I really appreciate it!!
Old 03-12-2010, 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by Sparky
Thank you for your imput. Sometimes I'm a little dense and need it spelled out for me. I really appreciate it!!
oh, honey, you are NOT dense!
There is a lot going on, and no one person can be expected to know everything about everything <g> ... it just happens that I have been around a bit at this particular rodeo ...
I do need to clarify something about the area I live.
Recently, a local quilt guild decided to make a quilt for each of our National Guard members who deployed, to be presented to them when they had their homecoming event. In less than a year the county and community quilters pulled together and have provided over 250 quilts (and presentation cases) for the upcoming event.
However, since their goal has been achieved, they have apparently decided that they will go on to other projects with QOV ... (that is their right), ... well, basically, I was told that they could do QOV or they could work on American Legion quilt projects, but they couldn't do both ... :shock: :shock: :shock:
Old 03-13-2010, 03:33 PM

I just head that KarenBarns is able to come and share her finished rail fence quilt that she showed last time. Hurrrah!
Old 03-14-2010, 12:56 PM

Just heard from quiltingnonie.
Yes! I plan to attend--and am really looking forward to meeting everyone and putting some faces to names.
YAY!!
Old 03-23-2010, 08:27 AM

Just to clarify...are we bringing fat quarters for an exchange? And are we bringing a block or just ideas for the QOV quilt? Since the get together is in just a few days, I thought I'd be sure of what I need! I'm looking forward to spending time with everyone!
Old 03-23-2010, 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by KarenBarnes
Just to clarify...are we bringing fat quarters for an exchange? And are we bringing a block or just ideas for the QOV quilt? Since the get together is in just a few days, I thought I'd be sure of what I need! I'm looking forward to spending time with everyone!
Hi Karen, the fat quarters are for an exchange and since we don't know what kind of quilt we might be making only bring your ideas or samples. And don't forget your quilt for show and tell. Deb
Old 03-23-2010, 07:32 PM

Thanks, I'll be there with items in hand!
Old 03-27-2010, 06:00 AM

Is anyone coming from the Eugene area? ORSunshine is having car problems and doesn't have reliable transportation.