Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Arggh Spray Starch!! >

Arggh Spray Starch!!

Arggh Spray Starch!!

Old 10-30-2015, 06:09 AM
Power Poster

You might try a mask and doing the spray starch/sizing outside - if you want the project to be consistent.

I, perhaps rather stubbornly, think in most cases the fabric should have good enough manners after being washed that it does not need to be starched in order to behave well.
Old 10-30-2015, 06:13 AM
Power Poster

I also have issues with using starch. But I have found that I can use Magic brand sizing, and that works for me. It doesn't have a strong odor either.
Old 10-30-2015, 07:28 AM

You don't have to starch all your fabric----I am one that starches hit or miss too and had no problems with some starched and others not.
Old 10-30-2015, 07:37 AM
Power Poster

I started using the Sta-Flo. You can make it any strength you want. Mix it well then put into a spray bottle. I only use enough to do the task at hand. I had such a problem with the can spray, I just pitched the darn thing. Wasn't enough to warrant a trip to the doctor or ER because of breathing. I get a better coverage. Cheaper in the long run and I use the unscented.
Originally Posted by dunster View Post
You can still buy liquid starch - Sta-Flo is one brand, made by Purex - and you can also make your own without resorting to boiling potatoes. One recipe even involves vodka. You can also buy non-aerosol spray starch and unscented spray starch.
Old 10-30-2015, 08:03 AM

I don't spray starch anymore but dip, hang to dry and then press before cutting. I destroyed my ironing board cover spraying starch and pressing on it. The starch would eventually turn brown and then transfer onto my fabrics later on. I also use the vodka/sta-flo recipe for my starch. I pour it into a dishpan I have down here in my basement sewing room as I had a sink area added to it when I 1st moved here. Has come in handy many times for cleaning up paint brushes, etc. I also installed a large dowel rod above the sink to hang the fabrics as the dry on skirt hangers. Then when dry I take them to the pressing area and press them all flat. Any starch leftover goes back into a gallon jug and then into the fridge so it doesn't go bad on me. Also by dipping I seem to get a more even coating of starch than with spraying plus much more stiffer so less stretching on bias edges.
Old 10-30-2015, 08:34 AM

I make my own starch. Easy and cheap. I can't stand all those aerosol sprays.
Don't know why people keep using those. They are bad for your health and for the environment.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1...t158141-2.html
Old 10-30-2015, 10:29 AM

I use Best Press. It's a hand pump.
Old 10-30-2015, 01:15 PM

I buy liquid starch and dilute it 50/50 and put it in a spray bottle. I have an inexpensive plastic dishpan that I put the fabric in to spray to keep the mess in that. Once the starch dries in the dishpan it just flakes out. It also keeps any overspray to a minimum. Once the piece is sprayed I roll it up and put it in a plastic bag to let it rest and so so the starch can be absorbed into the fibers of the fabric. This keeps my iron clean and eliminates the flaking on the material. Much like you did back in the day when you sprinkled clothes. I don't put it in the fridge however since I'm going to iron it soon. I cover my ironing board with a piece of muslin to keep the ironing board cover clean.

I starch and then cut. I just finished making a quilt where squares were on point so lots and lots of setting triangles. It went together like a dream thanks to the starch.

I do not like aerosol of any kind so don't use that. Niagara makes a non-aerosol spray starch but all I can find it in lately is the lavender scent which is a bit much for me. The liquid (like Sta Flo) is much cheaper as well.

To clean my iron if it gets gunk on it I use a magic erasure on a cold iron. The sole plate on my iron is shiny. I don't know how that would work if you have a teflon coated sole plate.
Old 10-30-2015, 01:45 PM

Niagra non-aerosol. My boys love the scent, lol.
Old 10-30-2015, 02:25 PM

I decided to ditch the starch. After all, I wasn't starching it heavily anyways. I did a test, making a few blocks from unstarched fabric and comparing. I couldn't find any difference. So I am going to save my lungs and get on with this project.

Thanks for all your input. I shall look for some of the products that were mentioned.