Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
An Artist's Rights >

An Artist's Rights

An Artist's Rights

Old 02-18-2015, 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by BettyGee View Post
Respect the work of others, don't pass it off as yours, don't try to sell it as your design and take monies for it. Respect the creativity of the designer, use it to create your quilt; just don't tell or try to sell it as if it were your idea.
I believe we respect the work of the pattern designer by laying down our money for the book/pattern. It seems to me the quilt we make using the pattern is our work, not theirs.

I can't imagine there are many quilters going around misrepresenting their quilts as original pattern designs, or many non-quilter recipients of quilts even aware of pattern as a separate design element.

Has anyone here given a quilt to a non-quilter and been asked if you designed the pattern yourself? Do you always make a point of informing a non-quilter recipient that the pattern was not an original idea?
Old 02-18-2015, 09:12 PM

Thanks Patrice like I said I will not buy a pattern and make copies to sell but after I purchase it I do consider it mine I did not really decide this way until aftder all the spin offs I have seen not only twister from square dance and one block wonder from stack and whack and there are many others I just saw one the other day and the late Doreen Speckman came to mind and it was a spin off and I had taken classes from Doreen and had lots of respect for her then when I see these spin offs I wonder who do these people think they are kidding now off of my soap box back to the wonderful world of quilting and yes still get together with friends for a day of quilting and exchanging whatever we need it is all about fellowship and a great day
Old 02-19-2015, 04:29 AM

Oh blah blah blah.....99% of the blocks are old old old. The ladies who "designed" them are long dead. Who gives them credit? All we do is rename them and call it designing. Get real
Old 02-19-2015, 04:53 AM

For the pattern designers that put restrictions on their patterns that you cannot make the ite for sale and cannot give the article away but it's only for personal use, etc. etc. If I buy a pattern I will do what I want with it, period! So if I see all those restrictions I will NOT buy the pattern. Especially since patterns have gotten so expensive. I will use a free pattern off the internet before I will reward someone who thinks they can control what I do with their pattern after I spent money to buy it. If no one buys their patterns, they will be out of business. I would never copy or sell someone elses work (pattern) however.
Old 02-19-2015, 05:58 AM
Administrator

ok, now.
we are degenerating into angry opinion posts.
this is not constructive or helpful to those who want facts and clarity.
no more of that, please.
Old 02-19-2015, 06:01 AM

Default Sharen Shamber

While reading all this, the only person that comes to my mind for being "actually original" is Sharen Shamber. I'd like to see anyone say her designs have been around for hundreds of years. Yet, she doesn't sell those patterns so no one has to worry about copying them.
Old 02-19-2015, 06:25 AM

Good advice: Don't make copies and give out to your friends or your guild. Each person should be willing to purchase his/her own personal copy of the pattern.
Old 02-19-2015, 06:41 AM

Like some of the people here, I too am a bit confused. My question is has anyone been successfully sued for infringing on some designers copyrighted quilt? I guess there are those who would (on purpose) copy somebody else verbatim, but I have to think that getting into an actual legal battle is expensive and the outcome is not always worth it in terms of time, money and emotional trauma. Happy quilting everyone.
Old 02-19-2015, 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by PatriceJ View Post
personally, i take the lazy way out.

i won't make a quilt to sell that i made using somebody else's pattern.
i won't enter a quilt into a competition that i made using somebody else's pattern.
the same goes for anybody else's quilt i saw that is [or at least seems to be] truly unique and original.

if i ever have enough confidence in the quality of my work to enter something in a show, i will check the rules carefully. if something is unclear to me, i will contact the show coordinators for clarification. if i don't like the rules i won't enter the show.

i won't buy any book or pattern that is sealed in such a way that i can't first read the copyright notice and attempt at restrictions. whether or not i agree with what's written, if i don't like what i see i won't buy it.

i will not wrap myself around an axle worrying about whether or not i like the law.
i will do my best to obey the law as i understand it.
i will continue to look for and read reliable articles from competent sources until i am sure i understand all the finer points of copyright law as it applies to quilting and my country. (laws are not the same the world 'round.)
You've got it! Thanks for being there for us. I don't always agree with you, but without your guidance we'd be floundering on many points.
Old 02-19-2015, 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by Sandra-P View Post
Like some of the people here, I too am a bit confused. My question is has anyone been successfully sued for infringing on some designers copyrighted quilt? I guess there are those who would (on purpose) copy somebody else verbatim, but I have to think that getting into an actual legal battle is expensive and the outcome is not always worth it in terms of time, money and emotional trauma. Happy quilting everyone.
You may just find the answer here, http://www.tabberone.com/Trademarks/...Patterns.shtml