Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Artwork blocks into a quilt help >

Artwork blocks into a quilt help

Artwork blocks into a quilt help

Old 06-19-2023, 07:28 AM

Default Artwork blocks into a quilt help

A friend asked me to take 12 Artwork Blocks (purchased from school fundraiser) and make into a large throw quilt. The 9.5 inch white artwork blocks had a tag that says 100% cotton. Inside the plastic sleeve each came in was a remnant of heat transfer paper with kid's info. I haven't ever worked with this type product and now I need help!

I drew up a design framing the white artwork block with quilt cotton and attached the top and bottom strips for all of the white artwork blocks. Then I took them to the ironing board to press before adding the quilt cottonside strips. I first pressed the wrong side of quilt cotton, turned back, finger pressed and lightly pressed the quilt cotton. Barely touched the white area surrounding the kid art area and a catch. I lifted the iron and the white artwork block area was sticky. Now I will a silicone pressing mat to finish the side strips to make a larger block and move forward. Please let me know if that is correct!

Now the big question. I am sending this to my LAQ (she knows but hasn't worked on product like this either) and wondering if any of you have thoughts on quilting it. Thinking meandering might be safest.

I did send for laundering instructions to the company that made them. Reply: Yes, but we recommend gentle wash in cold water. Do not use bleach. The quilt square is 100% cotton; may shrink slightly if tumble dried.
Old 06-24-2023, 06:44 AM

AU I have never heard of those blocks...do you have a source link? Sounds a bit like tee shirt transfer material? Kinda plastic-y.

It may be prudent to wash the blocks before quilting?

But honestly, if these blocks are printed on that plastic matrix, are they really ideal for setting in a quilt? I would at least make it a wall quilt, not one washed regularly.

Others must have used children's art as a component of a quilt...what other approaches might work better for a quilt used regularly as a quilt?
Old 06-24-2023, 08:25 AM

yes do not iron over these. they will stick to your iron. you can use a teflon pressing sheet-I think. Been long time since I've done this. I collected siggy blocks from around the world and ironed on one with a photo of a dog on it. Did not do that again.
Good luck.
Old 06-24-2023, 11:24 AM

Thank you for responding. WesternWilson, yes they are a bit plastic-y. I did soak one of them because I was concerned about color bleeding and then did a woolite hand wash, drying flat. They are a bit stiff and after discovering the sticky, I did used teflon pressing sheet when I finished adding strips on the sides. Thanks QuiltWoman for confirming. These blocks came from Square1Art.com. The CSR at the company I spoke with sent me information verifying the 100% cotton and care instructions.

My friend got these for a family member to make her a quilt and they no longer are able to do it. She doesn't want a wall quilt and we have discussed they may not be soft and cuddly like other quilts the family made for her. So a quilt it will be. I found this link https://www.polkadotchair.com/photo-...mini-tutorial/ that pointed out some of the pitfalls of photo quilts.
Old 06-24-2023, 11:51 AM

I didn't quilt through any either. Good luck, I'm sure you will figure something to do that will be great.