Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Asian Fabric in Microwave

I had a cup with a touch of gold in it and it sparked but that was all. I would just try a small piece first as all the comments stated above.

Pat

I would not take a chance on putting anything metallic in your microwave unless you don't want that microwave, it might catch on fire of cause a small explosion, why would you take a chance on either by doing a test? Be safe and use different fabric and skip the test!

The matalic gold actually is not real gold but acrylic paint with flecking to make it look that way and I don't know what the flecking is made of. The acrylic may melt in the microwave and could start a fire.

All that's been said about metal in the microwave I have also heard (and experineced when I forgot) however, I just read an article about using aluminum foil around the edges of your pans in the microwave to keep the edges or corners from getting hard. I can't remember where the article is. I will check and let you know.

I agree with wolfkitty. That fabric is too pretty to use for cooking!

Blog Entries
    Interesting topic.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AprilG
    All that's been said about metal in the microwave I have also heard (and experineced when I forgot) however, I just read an article about using aluminum foil around the edges of your pans in the microwave to keep the edges or corners from getting hard. I can't remember where the article is. I will check and let you know.
    When I lived in Hawaii I did my turkey in the microwave and put foil over the breast to protect it from drying out. It has to do with the amount of foil verses food. TV dinners used to be in foil and you could put them in the microwave; I always left them in the box just to make sure.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by wolfkitty
    I wouldn't want to take the chance, but that's just me.
    I feel the same way. Why take a chance? I would choose a fabric that I KNOW would be safe.

Blog Entries
    I'm guessing you won't hurt the fabric....but beware of a hefty repair bill for your microwave.

Please tell me what a micro bowl warmer is and how it is used.

Blog Entries
    even if it does not cause a problem in your microwave ie. sparks or fire, that does not mean it would be safe in a different microwave.....so unless it is only for you ~~~~~

Burn a small square of the fabric. If it all turns to ash, it will be fine to use, but if it beads into a hard little ball, do not use.

Quote Originally Posted by mucky
    Burn a small square of the fabric. If it all turns to ash, it will be fine to use, but if it beads into a hard little ball, do not use.
    Great advice! This way you don't risk any microwave!

Blog Entries
    I don't know but I want to say that you have beautiful fabric

If you can't use that beautiful blue fabric, I'll take it!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jennoh2
    I'm guessing you won't hurt the fabric....but beware of a hefty repair bill for your microwave.
    I agree with you, the microwave can be ruined!

Be very careful with anything metallic put into a microwave. Even a small amount of metal can cause an arc with bad results and it's very scary.

I've learned the hard way over the years to be very, very careful with microwave ovens--the one I have now runs very hot compared to others I've had.

(Speaking of microwave ovens, just an aside- once last year my husband put a half-loaf of frozen bread which was wrapped tightly in plastic wrap into our microwave and started it and within 20 seconds the bread and wrap were actually on fire. We were lucky the house didn't burn down). Now I don't allow him in the kitchen by himself--just kidding. Sometimes I do.

ll

if the metallics are heavy enough, I'd think you'd get, at the very least, some sparking. Try it and watch very closely and carefully. I would not stand in front of the microwave during this test!!
    Quote Originally Posted by lfw045
    Or what if it blows up the microwave.....hmmmmmm

Blog Entries
    I want to make baked potato bags for the microwave and every where I read use only COTTON. Thread, natural and warm batting and cotton fabric. Nothing else

a staple stuck to my cotton bed buddy when I microwaved it.....it caught the bed buddy on fire. Anything metal will heat up and if on paper or fabric, it could catch it on fire.
    Be careful. Test if you have to...perahsp it is only dye and not metallic tread.

Beautiful fabrics but don't use them for the microwave. I made a potato bag before I knew to use only cotton batting etc. It was a fabric that had corn on the cob pattern and possibly a metallic thread. It was used a number of times and then bang! it caught on fire in the microwave. How about casserole carriers or pot holders?

Kas
    I have sparked things in the micro without killing the machine. Oops. I would just try a piece and be ready to yank the door open!

If it is metallic, it won't blow up, it will spark first. So as long as you are standing there, you can stop it immediately. I know because I put a cup in once with a metallic rim, I wasn't thinking, and it just sparked. I did stop the microwave at that point.

I made my daughter a potato bag with metallic fibers. It was OK for one use in the microwave per day. When she tried to use it more than one time it caught on fire. Next time I'm making her two so she can use them when company comes.

I made a potatoe baker and found out that I shouldn't use 80/20 batting because mine started on fire in the microwave., so be sure to use 100% cotton batting.

Gloriaquilter

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast