Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Asian Fabrics

Quote Originally Posted by pittsburgpam
    The Fons and Porter one is beautiful. Lots of ideas forming but they'll have to simmer for awhile since I have my oldest daughter's quilt to do. I really hope the fabric comes today, can't wait to see it and touch it in person.

I wish my local Walmart had fabric still, I didn't know they carried things like that.
    That's where I first found Asian fabric. I'll be making another trip back around June, I hope, so I can do some shopping. :)

I don't know if you like the cutsie patterns, but the little japanese laterns would be adorable done up with these fabrics. Or maybe somethng with coy fish on it?

I looked at the lanterns and it's a possibility for an element in the design. :-) I have an idea about a parasol that I am kicking around. That and a fan design.

Fan designs are very oriental. I love those fabrics and thank you for posting the website Pam. After a quick peek I am practically drooling on myself over some of the gorgeous fabrics (and prices!) found there. Yum!

I work for a Chinese restaurant, owned by a couple who are from mainland China. I am slowly collecting fabrics to make a quilt for the restaurant (to hang ABOVE the reach of childrens' sweet and sour sticky fingers!) and I have been looking at various patterns done with circles. I am amazed at how circles can give a very oriental feel to the quilt, especially when done in those fabrics and with a sort of wavy (think water moving) quilting pattern.

I look forward to seeing what you do with these fabrics. Your work is wonderful and I am sure it will be a delight to the eyes!

Banned
    this is my first post but i thought i'd share an asian quilt i'm in the middle of making.

the pic is a little blurry but i think you can get the idea. its not finished yet. i just have to sew the final blocks together.

the corner stones were paper pieced.

all of these fabrics are from the same ebay seller. i've been buying from her for years and she's great.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tiffany
    I work for a Chinese restaurant
    Funny you should mention that. I was driving home yesterday and thinking of patterns and wondered what would I name an Asian design quilt? I worked in San Francisco for 9 years and Chinatown started right around the corner from my office. I would go for walks at lunch and look at all the cheap touristy shops and of course, great Chinese food. I was thinking about what my impression was of the area and what I thought of was a Chinese food place that I went to all the time. It was good food and a lot of it for like $4.50. People at work called it "Cheap Bob's" I chuckled thinking of naming a quilt "Cheap Bob's". I just might do it. A humble name that doesn't reflect what it really is.

kluedesigns, that is beautiful! I love the woven corners and the colors. Please keep us posted on the progress, I would love to see more.

Do you mean the same eBay seller, debsews, or that you have bought from the same seller, a different one, for years?

Banned
    i meant debsews. she's wonderful. when my stock gets low i just email her with my color desires and she puts together a great collection from me.

my last order was $150 for asian blenders and focal fabrics in all color ways. i was so thrilled with the order and i couldn't believe how many FQs she sent me. i would say 98% of her fabrics are from Kona Bay Asian Collections.

i'll keep you posted on the quilt. i'm making a total of 3 of them from now until december for clients.

this one is going to australia -a friend of mine is giving it to her sister as a house warming gift.

The asian fabrics sold out side Japan are much prettier than the ones we can get here in Japan. Much more artistic looking.

Panda

Quote Originally Posted by youme
    The asian fabrics sold out side Japan are much prettier than the ones we can get here in Japan. Much more artistic looking.

Panda
    Now that is surprising to me, and very interesting. Do you normally shop locally (in Japan) or do you order from outside you country when shopping for fabric?

I'm simply going to HAVE to buy some of that Asian fabric. It's simply wonderful! And you ladies like the quality?

Banned
    i'm very happy with the quality of the fabric from debsews and kona bay. the thread count is high, the colors don't run, and the gold foil doesn't flake off.

Blog Entries
    I looked at the lanterns and it's a possibility for an element in the design. :-) I have an idea about a parasol that I am kicking around. That and a fan design.
    Knowing you, by the time we finish making suggestions, you'll have this quilt finished. Can't wait to see it. Have you finished the NY Beauty? I haven't seen the picture with the LC border?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kluedesigns
    i meant debsews. she's wonderful. when my stock gets low i just email her with my color desires and she puts together a great collection from me.

my last order was $150 for asian blenders and focal fabrics in all color ways. i was so thrilled with the order and i couldn't believe how many FQs she sent me. i would say 98% of her fabrics are from Kona Bay Asian Collections.

i'll keep you posted on the quilt. i'm making a total of 3 of them from now until december for clients.

this one is going to australia -a friend of mine is giving it to her sister as a house warming gift.
    Welcome to the Board - this is the first post I've seen from you, and WHAT A BEAUTY! Plus thanks for the info about debsews on Ebay.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiffany
    Quote Originally Posted by youme

Panda
    Now that is surprising to me, and very interesting. Do you normally shop locally (in Japan) or do you order from outside you country when shopping for fabric?

I'm simply going to HAVE to buy some of that Asian fabric. It's simply wonderful! And you ladies like the quality?
    I shop online fom USA, I love Moda fabrics. All I get here for myself is the fabrics for backings or maybe some kids prints.

Quote Originally Posted by JoanneS
    Knowing you, by the time we finish making suggestions, you'll have this quilt finished. Can't wait to see it. Have you finished the NY Beauty? I haven't seen the picture with the LC border?
    The next one is for my other daughter, a basket design that she calls purses. It will be awhile until I get to the Asian fabrics but I'm sure I'll have a design in mind by the time I do.

The NY Beauty blocks were used in the corners of a quilt I did years ago. I posted a pic of the finished top with the LC borders in the pictures section a couple of days ago. http://www.quiltingboard.com/posts/list/18896.page

Quote Originally Posted by kluedesigns
    i'm very happy with the quality of the fabric from debsews and kona bay. the thread count is high, the colors don't run, and the gold foil doesn't flake off.
    That's good to know about the fabrics. I received them today but haven't opened the bags yet. They are even more beautiful in person. Just got home from work and relaxing for a few minutes with a cup of coffee. I'll take pics when I open them up.

Pam, Sorry, but I have no suggestions for a quilt from your Asian fabrics. I know whatever you make with them will be inspired and beautiful. What I did want to suggest is that if you have any leftover scraps after you make your quilt, a Chinese Coin quilt would be fun-even if it is a throw or wall hanging size.

I will probably have leftovers since I got 40 FQs and I'll take a look at the Chinese Coin.

The fabrics are so vibrant and they have an almost silky feel, they are so smooth. There are some of them that are really striking to me that I may order more yardage of when I decide how to use them.

The other two. There is also a collection of purple that I like and I should have got. Most all of the ones I got have touches of purple.

Banned
    luv, luv, luv them - they're beautiful!

You and me both. I just want to play with them, putting different ones together and see how they look.

I need a ruler that can do a very large circle, maybe 36". I'm looking over her website to see what fabric I like in yardage, maybe one that is a panel but not too busy.

I have a beige fabric from the feathered star quilt that I didn't use that has the pattern of wood grain... see where I'm going? :wink:

http://www.cherryblossomgardens.com/product.php?id=214

Banned
    thats a great idea.

this is the largest circle cutting that i know of - it goes to 30 inches.

http://www.phillipsfiberart.com/stor...d&productId=23

i have this one that goes to 10 inches but i can get a 20 inch circle from it. you're supposed to use folded fabric but instead i just cut it on the whole piece and flip the template over and cut the other side getting 20 inches total.

http://www.ezquilt.com/products/acry...ycirclecut.htm

How about something like this?

[IMG]http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/k...ts/circles.jpg[/IMG]

Wow, that's nice!! I am partial to the subtle blues and those are so pretty.

What pattern is that?

I know there is a pattern out there somewhere for Kimono blocks but not sure where I saw it. Maybe someone else has seen it. I think it would also be pretty if you could find a pattern that has the oriental building shapes on it. My friendship group is making a Teapot quilt with pots, cups and saucers on it all in oriental fabrics. I have the patters from fat cat patterns and would be happy to e-mail them to you if you like. Just send me pm and I will e-mail them. Since there are all skill levels in the group of ladies, we decided they could fuse them on to black background fabric which was provided so the blacks matched, and then use decorative stitches and gold rayon thread to stitch around all the pieces. We already have 40 blocks turned in. We make a quilt out of 12 of the blocks to be given to one of our members (names are put in a box when they turn in a block) and the rest of the blocks are put into kits of 12 each to be sold in our Quilt Show consignment shop to pay for next years fabric needs.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast