Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Asian Fabrics

Pam you make me want to shop!!!!

Are you in PIttsburg CA?

Several years ago I saw a gorgeous queen size quilt hanging in the 2-story entry of a home. The pattern was all Japanese kimonos of many different oriental prints on a solid background. Each was about 8 or 10 inches tall.

I would name it Geisha Girl

I have used the asian fabric in nine patch pizzazz. It works wonderfully.

I am green with envy...you got some wonderful fabrics.

Asian fabrics are my favorite and I stroke and pet them, hating to cut them up. so many of them have very large prints.

Are you planning on a big wall hanging to show off the Asian fabrics or a quilt for a bed?

My quilting friendship group did a row by row quilt for each other and mine was Asian theme. Each row is different. One row has Paper pieced fans, I did the row with circles (large print geisha, flowers,) in squares, then a friend made dragonfly blocks, another made paper pieced cranes, and finally paper pieced lanterns.

Each row consists of 3 or 4 8-9 inch large blocks. The quilt was finished by a friend who made borders of kona black that has discharged ginkgo leaves on it.

Don't know what kind of quilt you are trying to accomplish, but you can't go wrong with Asian fabrics...they are so colorful, rich and many have gilt edging...to die for.

Can't wait to see what you create!

warm quilt hugs, sue

You could also try an aussie quilt from quilt mania. Just type aussie quilt in the internet search and there are a couple of choices.

I've seen this quilt done in Asian fabrics and it's beautiful. Your fabrics are gorgeous!

http://www.virginiaquilter.com/cgi-l...html?E+scstore

I agree the Bento Box makes a fabulous quilt with Asian fabrics.

You can find several free instructions online, you don't have to buy the pattern.

warm quilt hugs, sue

I have tried to send this four times now, it keeps disappearing before I can send it. I had a short trip to Japan and made it to 1 fabric shop, the Japanese fabric I bought is pretty, but not anything like what we buy as oriental or Asian. I have googled for Asian quilt patterns and found several places to find patterns, right now I can't tell you names, but will see if I can find them later and send. I remember one specially, it was fans, but definitely not everyday fans.

Quote Originally Posted by mamabird3
    Pam you make me want to shop!!!!

Are you in PIttsburg CA?
    Yes, I'm in Pittsburg, CA (no "h" at the end of the CA one :) )

thanks for all the ideas and links, I have a lot of things to look at and get inspiration.

This is something I drew up real quick. It always changes and evolves but that's what I have so far.

Attached Images Attached Images

That's pretty!

I dont' know what my quilt is called. I just drafted it up and taught a class in curved piecing. It's a variation of the Drunkard's Path.

OOOOoooohhhhh, Pam, that would be lovely. I've been following this thread with interest, because my eldest son will be moving to Japan in a couple of months to teach English as a foreign language. He's so excited, and I can't wait to make a quilt for him. You guys are just giving me all kinds of ideas.

I love this forum! :thumbup:

Banned
    it looks great. would you piece the circle or applique?

I have been reading this thread with interest and was surprised to learn that the fabrics in Japan are so different to what we can buy on line.

I have been toying with the idea of making my Japanese friend a quilt in Asian fabrics but was put off as I thought it would be something she would have seen tons off, but now I know this I think I will go ahead and plan a quilt out.

Pittsburgpam, I love the design you have drafted out, it is stunning and will show off the fabrics beautifully.

Elle

http://shop2.genesis-ec.com/search/l...andor=1&page=1
    Let me show you the examples of what we can purchase on Japanese online shop. The Oriental ones sold there looks more gorgeous to me. These are cotton prints, but we have more with polyester and rayons because they look similar in material with real silk I think.

Butterflyspain...

You can buy gorgeous Yukata (I think that is how it is spelled) and other real kimono fabrics on ebay. There is one seller who has remarkable stuff.

http://shop.ebay.com/merchant/kimono...Q_fromZQQ_mdoZ

http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trk...All-Categories

maybe these would be of interest to you

warm quilt hugs, sue

I just returned from an amazing trip to Asia and in each port I bought Asian silk. I will be making four quilts with the fabric along with fabric I have been collecting here in the states for the last couple of years. I had no reason to collect it except it is SO stunning. I am making the four quilts for my sisters and myself as we traveled together on this trip of a lifetime. I am making my own design using 12 inch squares, 6 inch squares, and bindings made up of all of the fabrics! Just thinking of doing this is calming me. You cannot look at the beautiful patterns without feeling the serenity of the flowers, the beauty of the people, the great wishes of the cranes and the protection of the dragons. I will cut out large squares and small squares and use my livingroom floor to "compose" the quilts. It will take time and patience but isn't that what it's all about? I don't intend to use sashing as I want the fabrics to touch each other with the feeling of harmony and companionship. Since I will start the actual work in June, I am simply auditioning the colors and patterns now. Peace and serenity.

Phyl, what a remarkable and delightful opportunity you had to travel to Asia.

Keep us posted on the progress of your quilts and of course, be sure post photos...love pix!

warm quilt hugs, sue

Quote Originally Posted by kluedesigns
    it looks great. would you piece the circle or applique?
    I am not sure, it depends on what fabric I can find. If I think it would look good as basically all one piece I would just do a circle and applique it. I am thinking that I would applique the wood grain strips on it too, probably a lot easier than piecing them in.

Either a solid circle or a pieced circle I would applique to the background. I already have ideas of quilting cherry blossom branches in brown around the circle and the flowers in colored thread. Really ambitious would be to applique the blossoms, maybe a broderi perse if I have the right flower.

I've been looking at the Asian panels for something that appeals to me for the parasol.

Quote Originally Posted by wraez
    Butterflyspain...

You can buy gorgeous Yukata (I think that is how it is spelled) and other real kimono fabrics on ebay. There is one seller who has remarkable stuff.
    I've been looking at all sorts of Asian fabrics and someday I would like to do a quilt in silk. They are so beautiful.

Y'all are talking about what you have used Asian fabrics for but I haven't seen any pictures!!! I'd love to see them.

my asain row by row friendship quilt

Middle rows
    Name:  Attachment-32489.jpe
Views: 50
Size:  80.1 KB

My Asian row by row quilt
    Name:  Attachment-32490.jpe
Views: 41
Size:  31.7 KB

I did the circle in square row to start off the quilt
    Name:  Attachment-32491.jpe
Views: 48
Size:  77.6 KB

Banned
    i love it!!

do you have a pattern for that crane? i would love to add that into a quilt.

My friend added sashiko rows She also added fabric fortune cookies and other embellishments and made the geisha bag that my quilt came in. I now use it every day as a 'purse' and a matching geisha is on the back of the quilt as a label

Bottom row.
    Name:  Attachment-32492.jpe
Views: 50
Size:  77.0 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast