Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Asian Fabrics >

Asian Fabrics

Asian Fabrics

Old 04-15-2009, 11:03 AM

thanks for all the ideas and links, I have a lot of things to look at and get inspiration.

This is something I drew up real quick. It always changes and evolves but that's what I have so far.

Attached Thumbnails attachment-25256.jpe  
Old 04-15-2009, 12:09 PM

That's pretty!

I dont' know what my quilt is called. I just drafted it up and taught a class in curved piecing. It's a variation of the Drunkard's Path.
Old 04-15-2009, 12:31 PM

OOOOoooohhhhh, Pam, that would be lovely. I've been following this thread with interest, because my eldest son will be moving to Japan in a couple of months to teach English as a foreign language. He's so excited, and I can't wait to make a quilt for him. You guys are just giving me all kinds of ideas.

I love this forum! :thumbup:
Old 04-15-2009, 12:38 PM
Banned

it looks great. would you piece the circle or applique?
Old 04-15-2009, 01:11 PM

I have been reading this thread with interest and was surprised to learn that the fabrics in Japan are so different to what we can buy on line.

I have been toying with the idea of making my Japanese friend a quilt in Asian fabrics but was put off as I thought it would be something she would have seen tons off, but now I know this I think I will go ahead and plan a quilt out.

Pittsburgpam, I love the design you have drafted out, it is stunning and will show off the fabrics beautifully.

Elle
Old 04-15-2009, 01:40 PM

http://shop2.genesis-ec.com/search/l...andor=1&page=1
Let me show you the examples of what we can purchase on Japanese online shop. The Oriental ones sold there looks more gorgeous to me. These are cotton prints, but we have more with polyester and rayons because they look similar in material with real silk I think.
Old 04-15-2009, 01:50 PM

Butterflyspain...

You can buy gorgeous Yukata (I think that is how it is spelled) and other real kimono fabrics on ebay. There is one seller who has remarkable stuff.

http://shop.ebay.com/merchant/kimono...Q_fromZQQ_mdoZ

http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trk...All-Categories

maybe these would be of interest to you

warm quilt hugs, sue
Old 04-15-2009, 03:02 PM

I just returned from an amazing trip to Asia and in each port I bought Asian silk. I will be making four quilts with the fabric along with fabric I have been collecting here in the states for the last couple of years. I had no reason to collect it except it is SO stunning. I am making the four quilts for my sisters and myself as we traveled together on this trip of a lifetime. I am making my own design using 12 inch squares, 6 inch squares, and bindings made up of all of the fabrics! Just thinking of doing this is calming me. You cannot look at the beautiful patterns without feeling the serenity of the flowers, the beauty of the people, the great wishes of the cranes and the protection of the dragons. I will cut out large squares and small squares and use my livingroom floor to "compose" the quilts. It will take time and patience but isn't that what it's all about? I don't intend to use sashing as I want the fabrics to touch each other with the feeling of harmony and companionship. Since I will start the actual work in June, I am simply auditioning the colors and patterns now. Peace and serenity.
Old 04-15-2009, 03:26 PM

Phyl, what a remarkable and delightful opportunity you had to travel to Asia.

Keep us posted on the progress of your quilts and of course, be sure post photos...love pix!

warm quilt hugs, sue
Old 04-15-2009, 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by kluedesigns
it looks great. would you piece the circle or applique?
I am not sure, it depends on what fabric I can find. If I think it would look good as basically all one piece I would just do a circle and applique it. I am thinking that I would applique the wood grain strips on it too, probably a lot easier than piecing them in.

Either a solid circle or a pieced circle I would applique to the background. I already have ideas of quilting cherry blossom branches in brown around the circle and the flowers in colored thread. Really ambitious would be to applique the blossoms, maybe a broderi perse if I have the right flower.

I've been looking at the Asian panels for something that appeals to me for the parasol.