Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: assembly line sewing

It depends on the quilt I am working on. Sometimes it is a quilt to get done. And then sometimes it is the journey that I enjoy most. This is one block at a time.

I like assembly line, so much faster for me

I worked in a sewing hall for years so it comes natural,stay with it

I cannot assembly line sew. My brain does not work that way and I do it block by block. As hard as I have tried assembly line sewing does not work for me.

You are not alone I tried assembly line and got soooo confuse I do one block at a time,And to think I worked 25 yrs in sewing factories assembly line sewing by the way I am new to the board and quilting and love reading all the post

I dont like cutting threads all the time so chain pieceing is the way to go.
    But will do a test block first to make sure it is the right size.

Assembly line is so nice. Comin' around the bend on the final fabric means the quilt blocks are finished!

Blog Entries
    depends on if finishing or just enjoying the process.....when i had very little fabric and no UFO's (that i knew of, but that is a different story) i would take my time and just enjoy. Even now in this mad production phase i'm in, there is one applecore doll quilt project in a cookie tin that is being sewn by hand and cut out with sissors, and enjoyed.

It depends on the pattern and the person. Do what works for you. There is no right or wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Cybrarian View Post
    For me it depends on what I'm doing and if I am learning a new block or whatever, and the first time I do it I use assembly line methods for different parts. I can best explain it in education terms. You know how some words you have to write down before you are confident you have it spelled correctly? You most likely first "recorded" that word in your brain spelled incorectly. We learn in short term memory and what we need to or can best retain goes into long term memory. This happens most often when we sleep. Then you learn to spell the word correctly and that goes into your long term memory. Now your brain has it recorded twice, but the incorrect spelling will come into your "accessed memory" first when you need to spell it. That's what makes you unsure and you write it out so your visual memory can back up your recorded long term memory. I say all this to explain what's happening. You are trying to change a long term memory way of doing something. If we really like the new way better we overcome the "uncomfortableness" of the 2 memories vying for brain recall space. When I can't overcome that uncomfortableness over a period of time; I just resign myself to the fact that I really like my original method whether others think it is the most efficient way or not. Sewing and quilting is supposed to be fun, creative and relaxing not anxiety creating-so be a Burger King quilter and have it your way!
    Thank you!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MaryLane View Post
    See.....that would make me run screaming the other way. I did a table topper and a tree skirt at Christmas this way and literally gave serious thought to trashing about $60 worth of fabric after I cut it out because it was so stressful to me to have it like that.
    You are so cute...if I had to cut one block at a time, sew it, then cut the next I would run screaming the other way.
    Sadiemae

Quote Originally Posted by Sadiemae View Post
    You are so cute...if I had to cut one block at a time, sew it, then cut the next I would run screaming the other way.
    I don't cut one block. I cut one fabric for all the blocks. Then I sew it to all the blocks, press it and cut the next fabric. It really upsets me to have all the fabric cut and waiting on me. I feel as if I am starting out behind and can never catch up. For some people that is organized. For me, that is overwhelming.

Nice thing is, if we ever meet and find the other one screaming we each know how to calm the other!

Blog Entries
    I watch Eleanor Burns doing piece sewing and that is the only way for me if it possible, so much faster and less cutting threads. Then taking the lot to the ironing board to press just speeds it all up.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MaryLane View Post
    I don't cut one block. I cut one fabric for all the blocks. Then I sew it to all the blocks, press it and cut the next fabric. It really upsets me to have all the fabric cut and waiting on me. I feel as if I am starting out behind and can never catch up. For some people that is organized. For me, that is overwhelming.

Nice thing is, if we ever meet and find the other one screaming we each know how to calm the other!
    I will be on the lookout for anyone screaming and running the other way! lol
    Sadiemae

To each his own...I tend to chain stitch but if finishing each block works for you, then that's the way to do it!

Blog Entries
    I tried the Log Cabin assembly style and it was a disaster. I ended up doing each block individually. Sometimes I may do one step assembly style but then I get bored and need to mix it up.
    Martina
    Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Fabric!

Blog Entries
    Try working on a simple pattern and use the assembly method. Using this process on a complex block might be the issue
    Sharon (The "Babyquiltlady")
    http://www.uniquebabyquiltboutique.com
    http://learnhowtomakequiltbinding.com

Blog Entries
    It's your quilt so you do what works for you. I'm not fussed on chain piecing. I find I start making small mistakes but added up they are A big one. You know what feels best for you. If the quilt police call don't answer the door.

Guess it is good that rhere is no quilt police...lol.
    Linda

T.
    I'd switch back and forth for variety. When I get bored of one, then I go to the other method. If I don't want to think all the time, then I'd lay the pieces out & chain sew them. Then when I want to use the right brain, I'll stop & do 1 block at a time. I also have smaller projects, like the tissue covers, all cut out ready to go for when I want a break, really don't want to think or get tired of looking at the same project.

Yep, been there done that!.... Some I can, some I get to turned around and find myself using "Old Blue" aka my favorite seem ripper.
    Country 1

After the first one or two 'test' blocks I like to somewhat assembly line sew - but in small batches. So I might do six blocks at a time which moves things along but still gives a nice feeling of satisfaction upon completion. It also changes up the activities so I don't get bored/sore doing the same thing for too long. The only exception is cutting the pieces - if there are a lot of different fabrics involved, then after the test blocks, I cut everything out so I can pick and choose which part to work on next without having to layout/square up all the fabrics every time.

Blog Entries
    I had a hard time at first with it, because it seems so overwhelming.. Maybe try to do 5 at a time the move up to 10, but like others said, there are no rules it is your quilt, go at your own pace.. The idea is to have fun and enjoy what you are doing.

Isn't it wonderful how different we all are?
    How boring the world would be if we were all little clones of the same person.
    No matter how you go about piecing your blocks, if it makes you happy, it is the correct way.

I mostly chain sew because of the time and thread saved, but sometimes I just can't wait to see a finished block, so I go for it!

Blog Entries
    assembly line sewing sure does get you done. i always do a couple blocks 1st , to make sure they are the rite size.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast