Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
assembly line sewing >

assembly line sewing

assembly line sewing

Old 02-29-2012, 07:12 AM

I usually sew one block first. Then assembly line sew for that block section. Then after all the sections are assembly lined I finish up those blocks. The assembly line the other blocks or sections if I can. Then assemble that block or section. But I always make a block section first so I know I am sewing according to the directions and the way I want the block to work. Also another real good reason to use a design wall when its complicated doing one section at a time. The most important thing is that we enjoy the process how ever it works for us. Happy Quilting!
Old 02-29-2012, 07:18 AM

I have found a new hobby that I love. That is quilting. I could never catch on to the process of chain. When I finally think I got it, I don't care for it. I am in no particular rush on anything, and I love the process. I love watching my project grow. Not to be sarcastic, but, if I wanted to be on an assembly line, it would take the love away from me. I prefer to just take my time and enjoy what I do.
Old 02-29-2012, 08:20 AM

If I have never made that patten before, I make one block. and if I don't like it, it goes into the orphan block pile. No reason to cut 412 of anything until I know if it looks right. I also like to test the pattern. Some are horrendously off in their math, and waste fabrics.
So, I tend to make a block at a time, except for log cabin blocks, I string piece them.
Old 02-29-2012, 08:57 AM

Can't stand assembly line sewing and if I wanted that type of quilt, I would just go to J.C.Penney and but one.
Old 02-29-2012, 09:10 AM

I do both ways, depends on my mood and what else I've got going.
Old 02-29-2012, 09:49 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by IdahoSandy View Post
Can't stand assembly line sewing and if I wanted that type of quilt, I would just go to J.C.Penney and but one.
I assemply line sew my stack and whack quilts, and there is absolutely no comparison between them and a JC Penney quilt!!!
Old 02-29-2012, 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by IdahoSandy View Post

This gave me a chuckle. My Mammaw would sit in her chair, hand stitching blocks during her soaps and again in the evening. She did an assembly line type construction. She would sew the same piece on each block before she moved to another. This made it easier for her to track the pieces she was using. That was what worked for her and you sure weren't going to get what Mammaw made at JCP.

A person doing what causes them the least stress and most enjoyment does not take anything away from their artistry.
Old 02-29-2012, 01:05 PM

I love the chain piecing idea, because it saves thread, and less thread mess to clean up, and time. When I am working on a single block, I feed in leaders and enders where I would normally cut the thread. I just have pieces set aside for this, sometimes it is from the same project and sometimes not. I like to see a block made up, if all blocks are different, so I don't get the parts mixed up, but find the pieces I feed in between add up fast for a scrap clean up of half square triangles, or twosies, for 4 patch.
Old 02-29-2012, 08:02 PM

Do what works for you. I sometimes use the one block at a time method, sometimes assembly line sew. It depends on the block and my mood. LOL
Old 02-29-2012, 08:13 PM

There is no set rules on how to make a quilt. If you like making a block at a time...then do it that way. I Love making the single Irish chain...I sew the strip set...then do a block at a time also. If I don't...I make mistakes.

Originally Posted by Cagey View Post
I've decided that my brain doesn't do assembly line sewing very well. I know it is suppose to make it more efficient but I just can't get myself to do it. I'm working on a double irish chain and I'm struggling to use this method. I start out trying to assembly line sew but I keep going back to "one strip - one block at a time" method. Anyone else feel this way?