Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Assistive Tools/Gadgets For Impaired Quilters? >

Assistive Tools/Gadgets For Impaired Quilters?

Assistive Tools/Gadgets For Impaired Quilters?

Old 05-15-2010, 09:47 PM

Bike riders fingerless gloves - I have a neck injury and they are fantastic - i wear them when I drive as well - and my friend has fibro and she uses them too!
Old 05-16-2010, 12:21 PM

My sympathy. I have had fibro since befor it had a name. The main thing is to keep going. Having a good attitude is important. I find putting on craft gloves is helpful. The wrist stretch fabric supports it and is very helpful.

Try any thing that will make your life easier. Also do not try to be supper MOM.
Old 05-16-2010, 02:49 PM

I'm sorry for your pain, I know what pain can do to you, I have had two back surgerys, I'm fairly little pain now, but little and no energy. I tire so easly and the pain is right back. I wish you luck in your search. I will watch this thread. Welcome to the board. Theresse
Old 05-16-2010, 06:57 PM

Ginakra,
I too have fibro and have just recently found the most fabulous product. It is called COBROXIN. Get the spray. Use it every 6 hours for a week, and if you still hurt anywhere it will surprise me. It does take about a week to get into your system completely, and then you just use it as needed, but it actually works. I have been out in the yard all week, moving wheelbarrows full of dirt, planting, and trimming and cleaning up flower beds. Believe me, two weeks ago, I couldn't even lift my head. You can find it at Cobroxin.cvom
Old 05-16-2010, 10:36 PM
Banned

Hi Gina, I have fibromiyalga, injured back, COPD, Glass lung, and the list goes on. I can't do anything with out unbearable pain. there is nothing out there that I know of, unless you have money that helps. so I push myself to sew one day, and then suffer the day after ten folds more pain. there is nothing I can do, so I just cotinue what I love to do. Good luck and God bless. Penny
Old 05-16-2010, 10:45 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by earthwalker
I have Systemic Lupus and have recently been diagnosed with Psoriatic Arthritis as well. Like raptureready's Mother I hand piece and quilt and have now decided to work more with machines. Her secret is mine too, do things in "bites", so no sitting, standing or staying on one task for long periods and keep as mobile as you can, without overdoing it. Staying warm in cold weather and cool in hot weather is important...I use fingerless gloves, wheat bags etc in winter which helps a lot. I don't use any "aids" as such,
'cept a walking cane may be a necessity soon - I am looking around trying to find one that I deem "cool" enough to use...but then again I am a stubborn individual and hate the idea of becoming doddery!
I am 46 years old and I have to use a walker. God bless. Penny
Old 05-17-2010, 02:04 AM

I to have Fibro, CFS and yes...the list goes on! LOL...I sew when I can with lots of breaks. Sometimes I take my meds for pain just to get a project done. I'm shocked on how many of you there are on here that have Fibro! Shocking! I would like to share a web site for all of those that have it. It has helped me a lot. My name on it is "memaw quilter". It is a great site so please check it out. The site is called http://www.patientslikeme.com/ As for things to help me? large handled items, larger cutters, self threading machines, pain meds...and tea! Gotta have tea. And I play relaxation cd's all the time. The feel of the soft fabric helps too.
Nora. (hope to see ya on PLM site!)
Old 05-17-2010, 02:51 AM

I have fibro and arthritis. Had to give up knitting and crcheting because of pain in my fingers, hands, arms and back. Found I can hand quilt (without a frame) and machine quilt if I do short periods of time - about an hour or so. Don't know what the issue is with the frame but I think it doesn't allow the freedom to bend and twist the fabric as easy as without one. One thing I have to religously time myself with is cutting peieces. That seems to cause more pain in back, shoulders elbows and wrists. The good news is that quilting doesn't seem to put the strain on my body that knitting and crocheting did. Just don't give up and pace yourself. :)
Old 05-17-2010, 09:22 AM

Gads, there are a lot of us 'out there' who have difficulties. Glad we can share.

I do have a HandiQuilter and decided to get the Pro-Stitcher so it can be done computer controlled. Why do this? I lost my rhythm due to my hands. [quilting wise, that is ... as well as a few other things.]

alice
Old 05-23-2010, 09:06 AM

Gina, I have RA however, I just use the rotary cutter, mat and ruler. After cutting, it is piecing that I take my time to do. On good days, I go like crazy with the machine.
The LQS has Acu Go? Not sure if spelling it right. They swear by it. Not sure about this as I want to make various size blocks and appliques. Just take your time. Hand quilting would behard for me when I have flare ups. It took me forever to do a lap size quilt by hand , but I am proud of it. ( On my avatar) Not sure if I can do another one by hand. Start small and see how you can handle it. Goodluck. I know you are in pain.