Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Assistive Tools/Gadgets For Impaired Quilters? >

Assistive Tools/Gadgets For Impaired Quilters?

Assistive Tools/Gadgets For Impaired Quilters?

Old 05-15-2010, 04:01 AM

I have fibro and lupus. I tell myself every day that I rule my disease...it doens't rule me. ( now if I could get it to agree...lol) Keep moving. Keep doing, even if only a few stitches or cuts a day!
Old 05-15-2010, 05:53 AM

I have fibromyalgia and have the Accuquilt Go machine and love it. If you put 6 layers of fabric on the dies the handle can be hard to turn but, depending on my pain level I can cut one layer or 6 and they are far more accurate then I could ever do. If you shop online you can find some really good prices on the machine and it's worth every dime you might spend.
Old 05-15-2010, 09:26 AM

There is a glove that you can purchase. I believe it's easy to find at drug stores, etc. I started having difficulty (I hand-quilt exclusively) but what I did, I stopped quilting every day if I'm working on something, I'll quilt, using my glove, for about an hour and a half and stop. I make sure i skip a day before i continue to quilt. ( I developed "trigger finger" and the doctor informed me that it was due to over use.( He didn't know that I was a quilter, but I knew, immediately what the problem was.) I haven't had a problem since. Good luck!
Old 05-15-2010, 01:48 PM

I know you weren't fishing for sympathy but I feel so badly for you. I have tendonitis in my shoulder, elbow and hand which requires cortisone shots every three months. I congratulate you for hanging tough and wish you the best. I suggest that you quilt in short time increments and rest every other day. Sometimes I hold my scissors while holding a wash cloth. I also do this when doing hand embroidery. It helps to keep my hand and wrist open more. I hope that the suggestions on the board will be of help to you. You are an inspiration to me. HUGS!!!
Old 05-15-2010, 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by CajunQuilter2
Gina, You might look into the Martelli Rotary cutters, they are really good for people with arthritis.
I agree that this rotary cutter is the best by far. I've had mine for years now and wouldn't trade it for anything. I feel for you, I have severe arthritis in my knees and moderately bad in the rest of my joints, had my left shoulder replaced this spring. I was told once by my dr. that you need to keep getting up and moving, sit too long and your joints will freeze. So this is what I try to do when I am quilting or working or anything else, I get up and walk around to get the stiffness and pain out. Lots of (((HUGS))) and positive thought being sent your way!!
Old 05-15-2010, 06:17 PM

I found the Accuquilt too much for me. I do use my Altos' QuickCut a lot. That doesn't take much pressure and with a rotary cutter that works for you, it is a breeze.

All my cutting surfaces are at the correct height for me. My sewing 'chair [a swopper - see online] is awesome and adjustable without wheels so it doesn't go anywhere on me.

My cutting station, ironing board, and sewing machines are NOT near each other ... so I have to get up and move.

I sew in comfortable increments. Sometimes I am sewing on one project, cutting another, and using the ironing board on whatever needs it. My eliptical exerciser is near the cutting station and ironing board and TV. So I can mix it up.

I didn't like the Simplicity cutter. Glad I got it on sale. Think I want to sell it.
Old 05-15-2010, 06:19 PM

I've had fibro for years, as well as arthritis, and some days are worse than others. Fibro does NOT like cold damp weather (can't do much about that) or Aspartame(950) - so anything marked diet is out.

I found sitting at a sewing machine played hell with my back and neck. Solved the problem by putting a 4" thick book under the pedal, and putting a 5" book under my other foot. Also bought 2 rubber door stops from the local supermarket for about $2. These I put under the back of my machine to tilt it forward, that way I'm not leaning over the machine to see what I'm doing. I do play safe and remove them when I leave the room - just in case, I can't afford to replace my machine. I also find that using the kitchen bench to cut out/press on really saves my back.

Lift and snip scissors are better than quick-unpick's, and safer also - less chance of cutting the wrong fabric. They are expensive, about $14 a pair, but worth 10 times that. I use Fiskars padded scissors for most of my cutting out. I find #11 milliners needles work best for me, and quilt on my knee - no hoop.

On the days when it is too cold inside, rather than turn the heater on I take everything out onto the front deck and sit in the sun to get/keep warm. Hang the housework, no good fairies live here, and what isn't done today will still be there tomorrow!

The electric under blanket has to be the best thing invented for fibro sufferers, and a 4 legged moggy for a back warmer helps too. :-)
Old 05-15-2010, 06:41 PM

I felt the same way about using a cane so I found a cool purple print one at a local medical supply store. I think I paid around $20 for it. And, it folds up so I can put it in my bag on days I need it with me.

I've had fibro and arthritis for over 10 years now and have just learned to deal with it and not keep me down. Like everyone has posted, do what you can on your good days and take it easy on your bad days. Don't push yourself when you start hurting or feel weary. Take frequent breaks and use heat packs or warm/hot showers when you need them.

The tools I've found helpful --
- Martelli rotary cutter. It does help on the wrist strain.
- Fons & Porter Seam Ripper - with its ergonomic handle, it seems to take the strain off my hand when using it.
- I found some small rubber disks (about 1-1/2" diameter) that helps with pulling needle through the fabric.

Not so helpful -- I've tried those suction cup handles on the rulers but either can't get used to them or they just seem to cause more pain.

Originally Posted by earthwalker
I have Systemic Lupus and have recently been diagnosed with Psoriatic Arthritis as well. Like raptureready's Mother I hand piece and quilt and have now decided to work more with machines. Her secret is mine too, do things in "bites", so no sitting, standing or staying on one task for long periods and keep as mobile as you can, without overdoing it. Staying warm in cold weather and cool in hot weather is important...I use fingerless gloves, wheat bags etc in winter which helps a lot. I don't use any "aids" as such,
'cept a walking cane may be a necessity soon - I am looking around trying to find one that I deem "cool" enough to use...but then again I am a stubborn individual and hate the idea of becoming doddery!
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Old 05-15-2010, 06:49 PM

i stopped doing all crafting (quilting, crocheting, knitting, and counted cross stitch) a few years ago after being diagnosed with fibro and MS.. the dianosis has since been upgraded, but am determined to find ways around issues is very strong :D
i tend to just cheat to make alot of things work for me, especially when my hand twitches while cutting lol i waste more fabric with veering away with the cutter than should be legal so im looking into the accuquilt too... dont know about too many others, but am keeping an eye on the thread :D am interested in the answers given too :D
Old 05-15-2010, 09:43 PM

I have had fibro for several years. I was lucky enough to attend a rehab program and would reccommend one to anyone with fibro. I learned that ice is preferred over heat, I have multiple bags for the microwave for heat because I prefer that. I was taught that energy conservation is one of the biggest helps to feel better, along with exercize. I prefer water aerobics in an arthritis pool.
I like the idea of using a timer. I do the same, I sit to long and then suffer. Other times I sew to long and suffer. Some days you can't win