Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Attitudes towards young quilters >

Attitudes towards young quilters

Attitudes towards young quilters

Old 03-26-2013, 06:33 AM

Originally Posted by loullygal View Post
I can totally understand what your saying. To those of us who are under 35 the quilting community, as in groups and meetings, are truly unaccepting of us. I found a lot of them are very set in their ways and they feel like us youngeons will bring change and well people don't really like change too much. However, after about a year of being pushed to the side and ignored I decided that I was going to pursue other ventures with my quilting. I did some research and I went to my local YMCA and asked if any of the young girls might be interested in learning how to quilt or how to sew even, thought I'd take it slow and see how it went. Well by golly the first class we had 25 young ladies and a couple young men who ranged in the age of 13 to 18. They all had a great time and we even made quilts to send over to the service men and women. Needless to say this is still going strong and we meet up a couple times a week. I found people who were accepting of me and it truly feels great. So my suggestion to you, is look on Craigslist forums see if there are any younger people in your area who get together to quilt, or even start your own quilting circle. I'd bet you'd be awesome at it.
Hi. I just joined this board and can related to this thread. First, I find quilting guilds/groups like pews in a church, graying or already silver and not interested, really in any dialog with younger generations. This is so very sad and not at all in the spirit of what quilting has been historically to women all over the world. Or maybe it has, that quilting is only a place to discuss what has been. But I staunchly believe in multigenerational quilting where everyone learns from everyone else. I believe this because of what I do for a living: I'm a digital exec who works with people of all ages and we all benefit greatly from each others creative talents. I would like to figure out a business to cater to younger quilters. Right now Spoonflower, a great fabric online store is an example of a new way to think about our fabric and how to buy it. Only prob: really expensive. I'd like to know from the 20-35 age women on this community how they feel about shopping for fabric, finding great patterns, whether online courses and YouTube are the best ways for them to hone their skills etc.......So whaddya think? And oh yeah, anybody know of any mobile apps geared specifically at creating quilts?
Old 03-30-2013, 09:01 AM

Dear JRHerald I am no youngster, 78 this month, but have only been piece quilting for about 2 years. My quilts are simple using blocks, strips etc. On a limited budget I have to find ways to feed my habit. smile. I shop on line for a lot of my fabric, (when my Joann gift cards run out) and find fabric.com and connectingthreads great . There are hundreds of free patterns on line. I also get fabric from Yard sales, thrift stores and flea mkts. Also when folks know you quilt, they are very generous with fabric. sometimes when a family member dies or they just don't do it any more. I am sorry you have met with negative reaction from quilters in your area. One place I go also has a "quilt police" but I don't let it bother me as I know we all started out somewhere....Luckily, she is willing to show how to do it right. LOL So keep an eye out in the paper for local yard sales (do they do that in DC?) esp estate sales, and sometimes they will actually note it is a quilters stash. But be early, those quilters will be there. smile...Also go to a site called Quiltingboard.com They are from all over the world and any thing you need to know....someone will give you the answers and they don't care if you are young. In fact they love newbies. Also they have some cute quilting jokes. LOL.. Hope this give you a fresh outlook on young quilters and some ideas to save money on quilting supplies. Remember...put out the fact that you quilt, maybe someone has a box of fabric from thier mom hidden away.
Old 03-30-2013, 09:04 AM

Oops. I just realized I am on the board site. ROFLMBO. Don't know where my mind went. Put it off to being old...But anytime I am telling someone of a place to go, this is the first thing I tell them...........
Old 03-30-2013, 11:08 AM
Banned

You don't say where you are from in NW Ohio but check the web to see if you are near a chapter of the Modern Quilt guild. these guilds are composed primarily of younger quilters and are very accepting of new quilters.
And.......put on you armor and ignore those "older" quilters to ignore you. Find someone in the group that you can bond with. thre is a new day for quilters and the older more opinionated ones are losing influence.
Old 03-30-2013, 11:30 AM

Wow! You must have hit a nerve (in a good way) to have so much activity on this thread.

I think most people have felt left out or even shunned. Everybody's been a minority and felt prejudice, be it age, national origin, sex, color of hair, weight, religion, style of dress, income, what side of town they live on, social rank. Every catagory has it's acceptable and unacceptable behaviour. If you're outside that group, you won't know the "rules" and unknowingly break some rule. Like going to a new church and sitting in someone else's "assigned pew". (This is a joke on ourselves, kind of shakes us up.)

I know I'm prejudiced but try to see past it and accept everyone. However, I already have found my circle of friends. Including someone new requires everyone in the group to also accept the new person. Or I can step out of my circle of friends and start a new group-that's risky. It takes time to be included. And just one key friend can change everything.

Give it time. Take part in activities that put you one on one with other people: retreats, committees. Seek out other newbe's.

This goes for all newbe's: Let them know who you are: show n tell (give some personal details about your quilt), personal pictures, bring a friend, be vulnerable. But also be confident in yourself-that's really hard at 20 when you're still learning who you are. By the way many 60+ yr old's don't know who they are either and feel vulnerable. Many are wearing a veil of some kind and feel safer with it in place.

Many older people have slowed down in body and mind. Young people embrace new things faster. It's a challenge for us older's to keep up, let alone see you pass us up and be powerless to do anything about it. I'd like to see the younger lead the older, to rejoice in your accomplishments, for the strengths of everyone be magnified and the weakness be supported. I think this is unity, love and team work.

Keep trying, don't give up. Find those who will champion the new. We'll all be better for embracing differences.
Old 03-30-2013, 11:35 AM

I think it is both, being new and being young. I've joined the local quilt guild almost 4 years ago. I've been attending the Wednesday meeting since then, attended workshops, made several charity quilts and even brought a new member. Well, last Saturday I am in a charity workshop and somebody approached me. She said that the quilt guild is starting a new "thing" which is to introduce the young new members and here she is asking me questions to present me on the next meeting. At the end of the questionnaire I told her.... I've been in this guild for 4 years, I am not new... but bottom line the initiative is good. I guess that each group needs to come to the conclusion that they need to accept and welcome new members young or not so much.
Don't quit, they are usually closed groups and eventually the will accept you. In my guild they accept you faster if you belong to a Bee which I don't.
good luck.
andrea
Old 03-30-2013, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by JRHerold View Post
Hi. I just joined this board and can related to this thread. First, I find quilting guilds/groups like pews in a church, graying or already silver and not interested, really in any dialog with younger generations. This is so very sad and not at all in the spirit of what quilting has been historically to women all over the world. Or maybe it has, that quilting is only a place to discuss what has been. But I staunchly believe in multigenerational quilting where everyone learns from everyone else. I believe this because of what I do for a living: I'm a digital exec who works with people of all ages and we all benefit greatly from each others creative talents. I would like to figure out a business to cater to younger quilters. Right now Spoonflower, a great fabric online store is an example of a new way to think about our fabric and how to buy it. Only prob: really expensive. I'd like to know from the 20-35 age women on this community how they feel about shopping for fabric, finding great patterns, whether online courses and YouTube are the best ways for them to hone their skills etc.......So whaddya think? And oh yeah, anybody know of any mobile apps geared specifically at creating quilts?
Hi, I'm a young quilter (29) and my husband just lost his contract work. I feed my quilting habit with ebay deals. A lot of fabric on ebay is found as estate sales and is still in excellent shape. I just search the term "fabric lbs cotton" or "fat quarter" and see what pops up. Some days there are a lot of amazing deals and some days I strike out. But I did get batik fat quarters for ~$1 each, a 10 lb box of misc blue & red fabric for $50 (about $2/yard), and a 10 lb box of 9 inch fabric square for $18.00. I'm not sure what I'm going to do with it all but I've got plenty of supplies to work with. Hope this helps, especially with LQS prices being $12 - $18 per yard. I haven't found any quilting apps yet but I did splurge and purchase EQ7 for my birthday last year and I love it. You can also shop thrift stores for cotton fabric, fleece blankets for batting, and cotton sheets for backing. There are ways to do it on the cheap and quilting has a long history of being a frugal art form.
Old 03-31-2013, 04:33 AM

I will agree with all those who are assuring you that it is not an age thing, it just a 'New kid on the block' thing. It happens in any kind of established group. Certain groups are more accepting and welcoming than others, and you never know going in which kind of group you are going to find. I've found that many people feel very threatened by any upset to the status quo. And as a newbie to the group, you represent a possibility of change. It is especially difficult if the group has been meeting together for a long time. That being said, you may find there are like minded individuals in the group who have just never spoken up and with whom you might develop a friendship and 'kinship'. It just takes time and effort to discover those folks.
I haven't found a group close to me that I feel that bond with, but my crazy schedule/ lifestyle doesn't lend itself to being part of a group other than this awesome online community either.
Best wishes on finding a local group of like minded quilters! And on the mean time have fun with us here.
By the way, you and my best friend of many years would get along great! Wish she were more computer savvy so you could get to know each other. Yes, she is most likely your grandmother's age, but loves doing the modern, artsy stuff. And complains about the "ole fuddie duddies" that won't try anything new!

Last edited by mom-6; 03-31-2013 at 04:47 AM.
Old 03-31-2013, 07:24 AM

Keep looking, you will find a group that accepts you, even if you have to create it yourself. I quilt with 5 other gals that came together because of interest in quilting, being friends with someone else in the group at the beginning. We have a great time. So keep looking, you'll find them. I don't mind quilting by myself, but I find it fun to do it with friends and I learn more about colors and techniques from them.
Old 03-31-2013, 07:37 AM

I have not gone to a group yet but honestly I'm more of a loner when it comes to my quilting and art in general.

That being said any time I've gone to LQS or a sewing machine shop I've been treated very nicely and respectfully. In fact once they see what I've done they are very encouraging.

I think some people are just rude and spiteful and just because you are a quilter doesn't mean you can't have those qualities.

Sorry that you have not found nice people.

Who knows I might be saying the same thing once I come back from my first quilting group meeting...

I should add that I'm 32 years old.