Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Attractive "Quick" blocks to make. >

Attractive "Quick" blocks to make.

Attractive "Quick" blocks to make.

Old 08-28-2022, 07:58 AM
Power Poster

Any of the Fabric Cafe 3 Yard quilts are really fun to make and can be any fabric theme from baby to classic.
Old 08-28-2022, 09:45 AM

[QUOTE=SuzSLO;8564511]There was a fabulous quilt consisting of nothing but large half square triangles (6” finished) posted by someone on another board. It used Tilda fabrics, each block made up of 1 pattern and 1 solid. The free pattern is here: https://www.tildasworld.com/wp-conte...ners-Quilt.pdf

This is a gorgeous pattern and with some modification, I would like to try it, but in my opinion, it was created to sell fabric. It calls for a total of 33 different fabrics!! From 23 of the fabrics, you only use a piece 7x21" from a 1/4 yd. cut. That leaves more than a fat 1/8th left over from each print which is almost 3 yards total. For me, that is way too much waste. I am sure that it would be just as nice if it were made with fewer fabrics and have little or no scraps left over. I hope that no one takes this comment personally as I have no beef with the suggestion of using this pattern, but with fabric costing $11-13/yard, my complaint is about paying over $30 for scraps.

Old 08-28-2022, 09:52 AM

[QUOTE=SueZQ from MN;8564642]
Originally Posted by SuzSLO View Post
There was a fabulous quilt consisting of nothing but large half square triangles (6” finished) posted by someone on another board. It used Tilda fabrics, each block made up of 1 pattern and 1 solid. The free pattern is here: https://www.tildasworld.com/wp-conte...ners-Quilt.pdf

This is a gorgeous pattern and with some modification, I would like to try it, but in my opinion, it was created to sell fabric. It calls for a total of 33 different fabrics!! From 23 of the fabrics, you only use a piece 7x21" from a 1/4 yd. cut. That leaves more than a fat 1/8th left over from each print which is almost 3 yards total. For me, that is way too much waste. I am sure that it would be just as nice if it were made with fewer fabrics and have little or no scraps left over. I hope that no one takes this comment personally as I have no beef with the suggestion of using this pattern, but with fabric costing $11-13/yard, my complaint is about paying over $30 for scraps.
Yes, the pattern was intended to sell some of all 20 prints in Tilda’s Garden Life collection. I think that the collection is mostly sold out, so most people will not have the option to exactly match it.

Thanks to your detective work in actually reading the pattern (not just the materials list), it looks like if you want a lot of variety, 1/8 yard cuts would work. It would also be a great way to use a lot of variety from your stash. A very good reminder that pattern designers often want to sell fabric and the pattern may actually need less than called for in its list of materials.

Last edited by SuzSLO; 08-28-2022 at 09:55 AM.
Old 08-28-2022, 12:00 PM

These are wonderful contributions, and appreciated by all I am sure. Keep them coming.
Old 08-28-2022, 06:50 PM

Anita's Arrowhead is fast and spectacular. DSpinwheels have many variations. There is also DS Broken dishes blocks.
Old 08-31-2022, 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by Synnove View Post
I have made a couple baby quilts from this pattern. They turned out beautifully! The pattern is easy, and fun to make with a main theme fabric and supporting fabrics. I alternated the position of the main fabric from block to block (large piece, small pieces) to give the quilt more variety. https://weallsew.com/project-linus-s...quilt-pattern/
I love this!! I have a pile of scraps that would be perfect with this pattern! Thank you!