Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Awful mistake--almost >

Awful mistake--almost

Awful mistake--almost

Old 04-23-2013, 03:11 AM

Originally Posted by auntpiggylpn View Post
It happens more than we like it to! I have found that if I take a picture of my quilt top when I am finished with it, I am able to spot any wayward blocks. I download the picture to my computer so I can view it on a larger screen. Saved my butt more than once!!!
Even just standing back and looking at the quilt through my phone camera helps spot color choice mistakes as well as placement foibles since loading pics onto the computer is still a challenge for me. On this I take the easy way out!
Old 04-23-2013, 03:55 AM

I did a whole row upside down and didn't realize until I had it half quilted. Thankfully no one has noticed it but me. But everytime I look at it, it jumps right out at me!
Old 04-23-2013, 04:11 AM

It happened to me once, with a pieced border. Since then, I now stand back from the design wall, take pictures or do both.
Old 04-23-2013, 04:39 AM

Good save! It was great to be able to fix it before you quilted it. Some people call those difficulties a design element. I like the idea of pictures to point out those errors. I also like to lay the whole project down on the floor to see the whole perspective. I also like to use scraps of paper pinned on squares and borders to help me stay on target.
Old 04-23-2013, 04:56 AM

Just had a similar happening , one corner of a block was turned the wrong way, at least my husband caught it for me.
Old 04-23-2013, 05:22 AM

Last week, I changed out a block. I had made one block with quite bright lime green, and thought that was to bright for the quilt, so I made another one. The green block was laying around the house for at least a month when I told my husband why it wasn't in the quilt. He said he really liked it. Then I took the orphan block to club show-and-tell, and they said they liked it also. By that time, I had also fallen in love with the block. The next day, it took me about 5 minutes to rip out a different block and another 10 minutes to put the green one in.
At that time, the quilt was sandwiched and glued, but the glue came apart easily enough on one corner.

I had a quilt on my bed for 2 YEARS before I noticed that one block was tilted the wrong way. It had been in 3 quilt shows before that. I'm not telling anyone if you won't. My granddaughter has it now.
Old 04-23-2013, 05:50 AM

The very bright "Winning Hand" quilt I made last year has one block askew. I call it my Amish quilt.
Old 04-23-2013, 05:54 AM

That is definitely lucky.
Old 04-23-2013, 06:15 AM

Been there done that.
Old 04-23-2013, 06:22 AM

Originally Posted by auntpiggylpn View Post
It happens more than we like it to! I have found that if I take a picture of my quilt top when I am finished with it, I am able to spot any wayward blocks. I download the picture to my computer so I can view it on a larger screen. Saved my butt more than once!!!
That never even occurred to me!! Great idea and nice save!