Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Awhile back >

Awhile back

Awhile back

Old 01-14-2011, 04:22 PM

I roll each half the start int eh middle and work my way out. I use bicycle clips to hold the quilt and large safety pins as well. takes a lot of tricky moves but it can be done.
Old 01-14-2011, 04:46 PM

I have enjoyed reading all these responses. I have quilted several lap size quilts on my Bernina - SID and FM, but I am wanting to make larger sizes now. The tips make it sound so easy, but I already know how much work and trouble it is. Thanks for being so encouraging. - Cynthia
Old 01-14-2011, 05:30 PM

I searched YouTube last night and saw many videos about set up the table and also one about how to quit without "rolling" the quilt. It was really so simple yet worked.
Old 01-14-2011, 07:05 PM

I don't think I would quilt a Kingsize quilt on a regular machine unless I did it in sections and then put it together :D
Old 01-14-2011, 08:18 PM

I had never thought of turning my machine til I read that suggestion here... ! What an idea! Thanks, I will be trying that next time for sure.
Old 01-14-2011, 08:36 PM

also I have found if I lay the extra up on my left shoulder it doesnt drag so much and easier to maneuver. let some drape in front of you . it can be done!! you have to find the best way to hold your mouth and tongue too!! you will be so glad you stuck it out. I did a king extra long one for my FIL.
Old 01-14-2011, 08:36 PM

also I have found if I lay the extra up on my left shoulder it doesnt drag so much and easier to maneuver. let some drape in front of you . it can be done!! you have to find the best way to hold your mouth and tongue too!! you will be so glad you stuck it out. I did a king extra long one for my FIL.sorry i posted this 2 times didnt realize it.
Old 01-14-2011, 08:52 PM
Power Poster

Having a surface that is level with the plate of your sewing machine is important for ease.
Old 01-14-2011, 10:42 PM

What's a cheater needle?
Old 01-15-2011, 10:15 AM

i have done king size quilts on my Kenmore sewing machine , but i do it in a quilt in a section way i read this a few years back and it works !!
lay out the quilt with all 3 layers top on the top of the pile,9make sure the batting and the bottom are a couple inches bigger than the top) i only use spray basting (no pins for me)take the top layer and neatly fold it back, so you only have the batting and the backing laying there, look at the quilt and divide the batting sections into what you think would fit under your machine nicely one at a time , but make sure you have a middle section, then cut the batting ONLY becareful not to cut into the backing in sections before removing the sections mark with a pencil how they go back together ie far left 1 of 4 sections ect then take out the extra cut batting sections but leave the one that is in the middle (always start in the middle), now spray baste the middle backing to the middle of the back of your quilt, then spray the top of your batting , the one you just sprayed to the backing ,and pull the top over and it will stick to your batting , so now you have your quilt with only the middle section with 3 layers roll up the ends and quilt that section but stay only where there a the 3 layers dont wonder of , after that section is done lay quilt back out and add the next section to either side do the same , quilt it and then get another section spray it down quilt it and then you are done !!!
always start in the middle and work your way out!!