Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Awkward financial situation >

Awkward financial situation

Awkward financial situation

Old 04-13-2013, 08:58 AM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

Originally Posted by Suzette316 View Post
I totally get your reaction to how much the quilt ended up costing and then having to tell your friend of this amount. It has nothing to do with your shopping abilities (which seems pretty good!) or your gifts or talents (which are not in question at all!) or even your right to being fairly compensated (you most certainly are!!). It just has to do with something ending up costing far more than the client may have anticipated and then having to convey this to a good friend. Oh yeah, I get that!!

BUT . . . in the end, your friend did seem to understand and even feel appreciative of your talents and efforts and the value of these items. I would keep that in mind and relax now and just use the advice of others here to, in the future, either let the client buy the fabric and give it to you or better yet, take the client with you when shopping for fabric next time (my favorite since you never know what they will come back with if they go on their own! lol). Then discuss your labor fees.

I too can't wait to see this quilt - it sounds stunning!
I vote Suzette as the softest, sweetest responder on this topic! She's from GA, too, a Southern Belle, it seems.
Well done.

Jan in VA
Old 04-13-2013, 02:59 PM
Power Poster

That is very reasonable for a quilt...I have seen them in the amish stores for twice that...That is why I don't make things to sell.....
Old 04-13-2013, 03:12 PM

A friend had asked me to make her daughter a quilt. I told her they were very expensive. I told her $10 a yard, not to mention time/labor. She said she'd pay me for my time. She only paid me for $10/yard. When I told her that the quilt used up ___ and 1/3 of a yard, she ended up paying me ___ and $3! I was very surprised. Long story short, I love her and made her help 50-50 with any future quilt. She pays for all material and quilting. She also brings me out to dinner a few times, since she lives 40 minutes away and HAS to eat something. I never have any food ready here, because that's part of the deal I make!!!
Old 04-13-2013, 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by Nancyfarm View Post
My good friend asked me to make her a quilt, and specified it should be a work of art, focal point of the room, with several decorative pillows, and two standard pillow cases to go with it.
I used Timeless Treasures peacock, the black and gold one. The quilt is spectacular, and I couldn't be happier with it. I did not pay full price for anything (I'm a good shopper) except for the longarming, of course. The price of just materials was way north of $700.
I am horrified. My friend said she was surprised, but no problem. I feel so uncomfortable about this. I'll probably never make a quilt by request again. If I had to charge for labor, the quilt would be about $2000. What do you all think? Obviously my friend is awesome and I am lucky, but still..............
Goodness Nancy, not only did you make the quilt you also made several decorative pillows and two standard pillowcases. I can't wait to see the picture of it.

Don't feel bad, she wanted a "work of art" and you gave that to her. I think you did great.

The only comment I'd add is that next time be sure cost is discussed and it won't be a surprise. Your time is precious. Cost is often a surprise to those who don't quilt just because they don't realize all that goes into a quilting and they definitely do not realize the expense of fabric. Next time be sure they do and there will be no misunderstandings!
Old 04-13-2013, 05:24 PM

Picture, picture, picture, picture..... Do you get the idea that we want to see a picture of your creation?
Old 04-14-2013, 11:47 AM

Would love to see a photo.......
Old 04-14-2013, 04:03 PM

It sounds gorgeous just by the fabric. I have similar issues dealing with the costs of fabric and people wanting quilts made. I made one for a relative that let the dog tear it up because the person didn't understand the cost and time investment. At least it sounds like your friend understood that quality materials and time are an investment.

Ever since then, if I make a quilt, it's only as a gift. I don't think a lot of people are prepared for the sticker shock. LOL
Old 04-15-2013, 05:09 AM

Originally Posted by Nancyfarm View Post
My good friend asked me to make her a quilt, and specified it should be a work of art, focal point of the room, with several decorative pillows, and two standard pillow cases to go with it.
I used Timeless Treasures peacock, the black and gold one. The quilt is spectacular, and I couldn't be happier with it. I did not pay full price for anything (I'm a good shopper) except for the longarming, of course. The price of just materials was way north of $700.
I am horrified. My friend said she was surprised, but no problem. I feel so uncomfortable about this. I'll probably never make a quilt by request again. If I had to charge for labor, the quilt would be about $2000. What do you all think? Obviously my friend is awesome and I am lucky, but still..............
I have had quite a number of my quilts appraised and they average $1,100.00
I would bet that yours would appraise for at least as much if not more. Looking at it this way, she got a bargain!
Old 04-15-2013, 05:43 AM

If you quote a price for a quilt even if it is ony the fabric and you get the fabric on sale then that does not mean that you have to lower the price of the of the fabric. IMHO you should just keep the saving!
Old 04-22-2013, 03:59 AM

The quilt is still across country being longarmed. When it comes in, I promise I will send a picture!