Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: A, B, or C?

Power Poster

A, B, or C?

If you had your choice of buying at a yard sale one of these three pieces of fabric - all from the same bolt - each marked for the same price - which would you choose?

Next question - if you end up with a piece of fabric with ends like A or C - do you trim it to look like B before you put it back in your stash?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by bearisgray; 06-16-2017 at 08:29 PM.

I'd buy A and not trim it unless I was collecting squares of roughly that dimension. Or I'd cut a long strip from it if I were collecting strips of that width.
    As much as I hate it, my seam ripper is my best friend.

If it was fabric I liked, I would buy any of those cuts. I probably would grab the one I thought had the most fabric for the price. I would not trim A or C before adding to my stash because I might need a longer piece for borders.

Marilyn

I would choose C as it appears to be larger = more fabric. ��

Just buy all 3

I'd buy C, which has the most fabric, wash/dry/iron it, put it in stash as is (as Marilyn said, in case I need a longer strip than the main body). When the time comes to use it, I'll trim the used end off if I need to, and that would go in the scrap box.

Quote Originally Posted by sval View Post
    Just buy all 3
    We have a winner!!!

Definitely C. The area beyond the rectangle would be great to cut into 5" and 2.5" charms - a real bonus.

Blog Entries
    i would buy A and not trim it until I see if the extra 'tab' is useful. I would fold it in my stash so that the 'tab' is on the outside
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

If I really liked it and the price was great, I too would buy all three. But if I could only have 1, I would take C. No trimming until I decide what it will be used in.
    Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down the their level and beat you with experience.

I like the most for my money-I'd buy C and figure our how to cut it when I used it.

Blog Entries
    c..ans not trim when I put in stash

I'd buy all three, put them aside for washing, trim all to B once washed, put the trimmed portions in the scrap drawer and the rest in the stash. If just one, B.
    Lisa

I would buy c. Cut off the end for scrap bin and put the large piece in my stash.

Haha! Bearisgray, I love your inquiring mind. You come up with some of the best posts!
    I would choose C. I have no problem cutting up odd bits for scraps and the remainder would go in stash.

Quote Originally Posted by ptquilts View Post
    We have a winner!!!
    I agree!!!!

Power Poster
    It is definitely easier to fold a piece like B with the even ends!

I usually keep the "ends" like on A or C attached to the main piece, too. If the piece has a really long tail - like two yards by six inches - I have an argument with myself as to whether I should lop it off to make the piece easier to handle - or leave it on - just in case I might need a really long strip for something.

When my Mom had a garage sale ages ago, her thought was that people would prefer a piece with a straight edge like B, because then it would look more like an unused piece of fabric than a piece of scrap - even if the piece was several yards long.

I do agree with her - as far as "looking better" - my choices would be B first, and then A. But if I was buying I would go for C with the most area for the same amount of money.

Do any of you remember rolling up the scrap pieces (especially from garment sewing) and saving even the tiniest scraps that were left over?

Oh Bear I had to smile in shame after reading your last post. We moved 2 months ago. While trying to purge and pack up my sewing room, I came across a box labelled 'scraps'. When I opened it, I found left over pieces from my garment sewing days. But the shameful part comes in dating some of those scraps. In 1982 we lived in Sydney, NSW, Australia. My DD was 6 years old and I sewed her school uniforms. Yes, one roll tied up ever so neatly, was left over scraps from her uniforms. My DD just turned 40!! and that box was dragged around the world and back to Canada with us!
    Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down the their level and beat you with experience.

Blog Entries
    Definitely C....It has at least as much fabric as both B and A and leaves small additional pieces that could be used for applique. May not appeal to others but does to me.

I love applique, so I have plenty of pieces like C in my stash. And, I tend to now only buy fabric off the bolt after a few really awful experiences (more deals for the rest of you, I guess). That said, if I knew it was quality fabric, much as I can look at those 3 pieces drawn out on graph paper & think "C is the best deal", I would probably choose B because my mind would think that the person took better care of it. It's not a logical thought, I know, because I take very good care of my fabric & it is all different weird shapes for the most part, but I like the orderliness of B. When I gift fabric for guild events, I always trim the edges clean.

Blog Entries
    Offer the owner a deal. Bundle it into one package and never have to decide that again.

Marcia

C - I would not cut it. A & C both have the same amout of fabric up to the wonky part which could be used in a scrappy or A & C would have the extra length to cut a longer strip. (assuming of course the scale is 1")

Since all from the same bolt, I'd try to get all 3. If limited to only 1, I'd take C and not cut into it until I know what use I have for the piece. (This is what GingerK said, too!)

I would choose A or C. I would fold the fabric without trimming it. The little bit of extra length might be just what I need. I would only trim it if it was very skinny or pointy.

Quote Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
    Do any of you remember rolling up the scrap pieces (especially from garment sewing) and saving even the tiniest scraps that were left over?
    I once made myself a dress in which I loved the fit of the bodice. I wanted to make another with that pattern and found that the most important piece was missing. Yes it was that front piece of the bodice. So I dug out the pieces left from making the first dress. I laid out all the scraps and found the outline of what I wanted, so I cut it from that. But lo and behold, before I sewed the dress, I found the missing pattern piece. I was almost half an inch off. I would have needed to pay more attention to the grain lines of the fabric to get it right. So I finished the second dress and wore it many times. In those days women wore dresses, even around the farm.
    Mavita - Square dancer and One Room School Teacher

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast