Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Baby Bibs

Unhappy Baby Bibs

Hey Ladies, What's the best fabric for making Baby bibs? My 4 month old Grandson spits up alot, and I want to make extra bibs so we can keep him dry. Any sugestions would be great. Thanks Ladies
    Craftynana55

I make bibs with cotton and/or flannel. I quilt sandwich, cut the shape out, and then bind it. Sometimes I "birth" the bib and then quilt. The cotton batting between two layers of fabric keeps baby drier.
    When you sleep under a quilt, you sleep under a blanket of love.

Blog Entries
    Hand towels bought on clearance. Several ways to do it, just Google baby bibs from hand towels. I buy them around the holidays; great designs for very little money. The ones I picked up after Easter had bunnies embroidered on the bottom of the towel. Worked perfectly as I end up cutting a few inches off the top so the big is not too long. The hand towels are very absorbent and last through several babies and toddlers.

I have used towels with a flannel back tablecloth backing that i find at the dollar store.That way it's kind of waterproof

I agree with the hand towels. I have made several of these with an embroidered design on the front. It's very easy to cut a hole in the towel for the neck and the back opening, add ribbing to the neck edge and velcro to the back. I'm sure there are directions on the web for them. My daughter loved them for her little one.
    Gloria 

There is a fabric called PLU that is waterproof but easy to sew through. I've seen it in Hobby Lobby and LQS. Should have added that you could back the bibs with this to prevent getting wet through
    I Quilt Therefore I Am

Pat

Try these, they cover a big area and because they are made with towels, they wash up easy. Flannel does not absorb well if you make a regular bib, I would recommend cotton fabric or terrycloth.

http://www.parkerpiecekeepers.com/fr...m-members.html
    Thought for EVERY Day: You know all those things you've always wanted to do? You should go do them.

Super Member Lisa_wanna_b_quilter's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Several ladies I know are using this. It makes up very nice and is very soft.

http://www.connectingthreads.com/cfP...www.google.com

Blog Entries
    Great ideas. I suddenly know of a few blessings on the way.

Linda

Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound, that saved a wretch like me. I once was lost but now am found, was blind, but now I see.
    [John Newton (1725-1807)]

http://sewextremeseams.blogspot.com/

Joann's sells pul in the babyville section by the buttons. Using that on the back with something absorbent on the front makes them waterproof.

Smoky Lake, Alberta, Canada - Coolidge, AZ
    I use the terry hand towels with cute patterns suitable for a child. I cut a circle about 2/3 of the way up the towel big enough for the baby's head to fit through & sew ribbing around the circle. The bib just pulls over the baby's head & drapes down his/her back about 3 - 4 inches. Keeps baby dry & clean. I made tons of these when our grandkids were small. Their mothers loved them.

Thank you Ladies, Thats a lot of great advise,, My little Chunky Monkey will have a lot of Bibs.
    Craftynana55

I just buy washcloths (the nice thick ones) cut a keyhole U shaped neck hole (roughly 2 1/2" X 2 1/2") and bind it with bias binding. Cut the bias long enough that it also includes the ties. You'll need about 30" of bias. I can make these in about 15 minutes and they are the best baby bibs ever. The bonus is that you can feed the baby and then use the bib to wash him and then toss it in the laundry ready for the next time.
    Shelbie from the High County in Southern Ontario

Quote Originally Posted by CraftyNana55 View Post
    Hey Ladies, What's the best fabric for making Baby bibs? My 4 month old Grandson spits up alot, and I want to make extra bibs so we can keep him dry. Any sugestions would be great. Thanks Ladies

flannel or terrycloth. And make a little pocket on the lower edge to help catch run-off.
    Bad Spellers of the World
    U N T I E

I had 5 babies who wore bibs every time they were fed and all day long when they were drooling. The bibs they wore when they were drooling were always color matched to their clothes so I had a TON of bibs. My favorites were plastic on the back and terrycloth on the front with or without an applique. Simple plastic that you buy on a roll in the paint department at Lowes to cover your floor, etc ( but not that flimsy stuff that comes in a package and is mostly a one use deal) will stand up to at least a 1000 wash and dry times thru the laundry. Naturally the thicker the plastic the better. We keep a roll on hand at all times for all kinds of projects - it can even go under cement when it is poured.

My grandbabies are slightly older and can handle their own bottle or sippy/straw cup. One of the ladies in our guild made some of these and I'm thinking these would be great for them....especially in the car.
    http://www.pat-e-patterns.com/bottleinabib.html

I know that's not what you were asking, but they grow quickly and I thought I'd share!

Power Poster
    The fingertip towels - approximately 12x18 inches- with a hole cut out and 'bound' with t-shirt ribbing - slips over baby's head fairly easily - and covers a lot of area - and no ties or fasteners to deal with

Power Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Gail B View Post
    I use the terry hand towels with cute patterns suitable for a child. I cut a circle about 2/3 of the way up the towel big enough for the baby's head to fit through & sew ribbing around the circle. The bib just pulls over the baby's head & drapes down his/her back about 3 - 4 inches. Keeps baby dry & clean. I made tons of these when our grandkids were small. Their mothers loved them.
    I don't remember what the circumferences of young children's heads were - or their necks

I know the towel hole has to be big enough to go over baby's head easily - Did you cut your ribbing 2 or 2.5 inches wide? And how long? (Or what ratio of ribbing to hold circumference did you use? 3 to 5, 4 to 5?)

I've never looked for ribbing. Would JoAnn's have it?

I have made tons of the bibs in finger tip towels sizes. I had a day care for a while and now my daughter has a day care. She uses these all the time. The towel needs to be long enough in front to stay tucked behind the high chair tray. Too short, and they are dangling in the food. Cut the hole so that it fits over YOUR head. You'd be surprised how big a baby's head is. Then stretch the ribbing so that it fits VERY TIGHTLY around YOUR head. After I sew on the ribbing, I surge the seam. The nice thing about these bibs is that the baby can't pull them off. If they are used from the time they are really tiny, they are used to them and don't try to pull them off.

I make them with flannel on front and fleece on back which my niece swears by them! She says the fleece don't let the wetness get to babies clothes.

Blog Entries
    They are a great way to repurpose bath towels that are giving up! I seem to have quite a few that started to ravel on the sides, and I used them up in bibs, and hand towels. I use binding scraps to finish them off.

When I made adult bibs for my grandpa, I used PLU fabric on the back. It washed up well and they were waterproof.

if you buy the PUL through the website for donating sanitary supplies for developing nations' girls, that charity gets a percentage of the cost. look up thread here on Days for Girls. i have found as mum of 7, grandmum of 6 that terry cloth is the best. Works well even if you don't use PUL. buy hand towels, fold over top about 3-4 ", cut a hole size of baby's head, leaving shoulder room, bind with ribbing or stretchable tape.

Power Poster
    i usually do cotton and flannel togather
    QUILTNMO

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast