Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Baby Lock Ellegante

Baby Lock Ellegante

A friend has just offered me her Babylock Ellegante which she purchased about 3 yrs ago. Does anyone have this machine? What do like/dislike about it? This would be a new adventure for me as I have never had an embroidery machine. I'm also not totally sure I want to go that route. My sewing is mainly quilts . Currently, I have a Viking Sapphire & to be honest I'm frustrated by it & have been thinking about getting rid of it. We have not discussed price yet - she did say that she didn't have any idea what to ask for it. She is a very particular person so I know the machine has been well maintained. Any thoughts/suggestions?

Blog Entries
    apparently there is a model 2 and 3... do you know which one she is offering?
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak THINK
    T – is it True? H – is it Helpful? I – is it Inspiring? N – is it Necessary? K – is it Kind?

Blog Entries
    I have the Baby Lock Quilters Choice, not the Elligante. I detached the cords to take it in to have it cleaned at the end of the first year under warranty. I was told by removing the plug, which enabled me to get it into my case,I had done something to the wire inside (?) and it cost me a lot of money to get it repaired . Now, 3 yrs. later, I took it in to another service center because the feed dog switch refused to move right or left and the automatic threader no longer worked. He repaired the feed dog problem, cleaned it, told me I could remove the plug at any time and couldn't understand why I was told I couldn't but told me Baby Lock refused to send parts to any service centers and that I would have to go to a Baby Lock dealer to get the automatic threader wire repaired. Doesn't mean you would have any problems, of course, and the Elegante is a much more expensive machine so these issues may not be a problem. I'm assuming you live within driving distance to a Baby Lock dealer because, for me, the closest ones were over 50 miles away making it a 100 plus mile trip. Good Luck.! Mine may just have been a lemon but I thought I should mention it anyway.
    Last edited by Wonnie; 06-13-2017 at 08:35 PM. Reason: error

I would never spend the money on an embroidery machine. I really dislike machine embroidery... but that's just me. Others seem to love it. If you aren't sure you want it, I hope you won't feel obligated to buy it because a friend offered it to you.

For that kind of money, I'd be looking for a long arm machine, or at least a sit down.
    http://www.craftsy.com/user/333534/pattern-store?
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/sewbizgirl
    Boom 17 Album of Blocks I Made for Others http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...bums19654.html
    "The reward of a thing well done is having done it." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

I bought a used Baby Lock Elegante from my hand piecing instructor. I am in love! I do have to have it cleaned/serviced once a year, which runs about $100. I'm not particularly interested in the embroidery part, but use it for piecing and some quilting. Best purchase I ever made.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by FGlinda View Post
    A friend has just offered me her Babylock Ellegante which she purchased about 3 yrs ago. Does anyone have this machine? What do like/dislike about it? This would be a new adventure for me as I have never had an embroidery machine. I'm also not totally sure I want to go that route. My sewing is mainly quilts . Currently, I have a Viking Sapphire & to be honest I'm frustrated by it & have been thinking about getting rid of it. We have not discussed price yet - she did say that she didn't have any idea what to ask for it. She is a very particular person so I know the machine has been well maintained. Any thoughts/suggestions?
    I have a Babylock sewing/embroidery machine and I LOVE IT!! Once you get started with machine embroidery (if you like monogrammed towels, napkins, kitchen towels, or customizing T Shirts, etc....) you will really enjoy the ease of operation with these machines..........find a dealer who offers classes, and HAVE FUN!!!

I have an Ellegante... love the machine! It is super for piecing and quilting and just about any other kind of sewing. It is easy to operate ( user friendly), has lots of features - stitches, designs and alphabets. ...some you will use and some you won't, but they are there!. The embroidery unit is also easy to attach and operate if you want to use this. There have been upgrades to the machine so check what is on it. It does just about everything you might want to do.

I don't have the Ellegante but a viking embroidery/sewing machine,got it for a good price. I was mainly interested in the sewing part. I love the embroidery part now since I can quilt my quilts on it
    A bed without a quilt is like a sky without stars.

I have the Ellegante 1. Got it when it 1st came out. Loved how it embroidered back then and that's basically what I used it for as it had the larger hoops than my old Viking D1. Now that I have the Viking Epic with even larger hoops I rarely use the Ellegante for anything. I'm so in love with the Viking regular sewing and love how you can set it to stop with the needle down which also brings the foot up just a titch so you can adjust the fabric. The Babylock doesn't do that. I'm thinking of getting rid of the Babylock as I have a simple Brother machine that does basic sewing when I need it.

The Babylock was a great machine in its day but I just don't use it much. Even got a couple of the magnetic hoops for it but then traded in the D1 for the Epic so its my "GO TO" machine these days.
    Suz in Iowa
    Designer EPIC, Babylock Ellegante, Brother XR3140
    Babylock Evolve, Elna 945
    Innova 26" LS, MQR
    ProQ Designer, EQ7, Embird

Are you interested in the machine for embroidery too? It's an older model compared to newer ones but you can see all the specs and sizes at the BL website. Search for Previous models and it is there.

If upgrades have been done, make sure that you receive them also in case you ever need to re-load them into the machine.

You will also need threads, stabilizers and bobbins for your machine to get started with projects if you don't have supplies already. It's a whole new adventure and quite fun.

Can you do embroidery with your other machine? What function or part is frustrating you? Let us know and perhaps we can help you with solutions.

Good luck!

I had the Ellegante 2 and loved it -my sister talked me into selling it to her and
    I got the Ellissimo Gold- s!he loves hers and I love mine - great machines for both piecing and embroidery
    Sondra

It is older than 3 years though, I sold mine 2 years ago for $1500 to a friend. You have to spend at least $4000 to find better features on a used machine. I upgraded to the Ellisimo Gold II also.

You should observe your friend embroidering and see all the supplies you need to start. Think about what you would embroider. Even a great price isn't great if you don't use it.

I have an ellegante and love it. It is one of the most user friendly machines I have. I also have a Viking designer diamond and a Pfaff creative sensation. They both do a great job, but take a lot more time to learn to use. The Ellegante also sews like a dream. You wouldn't be sorry to get it.

Blog Entries
    I have the Ellegante BLG. Love it! Bought it as a demo model in 2009 from a quilt shop that closed months afterward so had no lessons etc. Came with an upgrade that made it similar to Ellegante 2. But they were fantastic about calls and emails afterward. I didn't use it for awhile after getting it. Cost $3500 at the time, and I had issues with an expense that large for our family-but DH insisted I get it. Lucky me. The threader began to have issues and since I got the full gold warranty with the purchase, we drove it down to the quilt shop 65 miles away, and they sent it to Babylock. Got it back all perfect and worked fine until 2 years ago when I took it in to my LQS (which now sells Babylock and Bernina) for yearly servicing. The threader again was bent somehow, and the service guy replaced it. He told me the machine is a workhorse and it will only need minor repairs in the next 30 years. It embroiders beautifully, sews smoothly, is quiet still, and I am no longer afraid of it. I have sewn queen size quilts on it, plenty of princess dress up clothes, costumes, baby stuff, repaired stacks of jeans and whatnot, made blouses, sewn leather, etc. Definately a workhorse and easy to embroider with. Free updates on Babylock site. Just keep in mind, the lighting is very poor on those early Babylocks. I attached a light to the machine and have another sitting on the table. She was worth every penny. Just wish I had more time to spend using her.

I don't know the model number. When she called me I didn't think to ask. I'll be finding out soon. I have a dealer close by so that would not be a problem. My biggest problem with my Sapphire is that the tread jumps out of the uptake lever - the dealer put a black thing on it that was supposed to fix the problem. it's better but it still happens - usually in the middle of something I'm really focusing on.
    I would mainly use the Ellegante for piecing/quilting. I am intrigued by machine embroidery - I would never spend the money on a new embroidery machine but if I had a machine I would experiment. I'm going to call my friend and at least try out the machine.
    Does the Ellegante have a needle up/down option? This is something I really like about my Viking. How much would you pay for a machine that's been used for 3 yrs? It includes the steady betty table and I think the hoops.
    All of you have been so helpful. Thank you so much. I knew I would get help on this site. I don't post much but I go to this site almost everyday.
    Last edited by FGlinda; 06-14-2017 at 06:42 AM.

I have a baby Lock Journey and love it! It does both sewing/quilting and embroidery. I love embroidering squares to incorporate in a quilt, wall hanging or table runner. The recipients of my work have been thrilled also.

Quote Originally Posted by sewbizgirl View Post
    I would never spend the money on an embroidery machine. I really dislike machine embroidery... but that's just me. Others seem to love it. If you aren't sure you want it, I hope you won't feel obligated to buy it because a friend offered it to you.

For that kind of money, I'd be looking for a long arm machine, or at least a sit down.
    I have zero interest in machine embroidery. Quilting is all I want to do with fabric.

I bought the Babylock Ellegante in 2007 and love it. I use it for both quilting and embroidery. The only thing I don't like is the poor lighting. But I solved that problem by purchasing an LED strip light from Amazon last week. What a difference! I have it serviced about once a year. I keep wanting to trade it in for an Ellissimo or Destiny just for some of the newer features but I'm happy with my Ellegante.

I bought the Babylock Ellegante in 2007 and love it. I use it for both quilting and embroidery. The only thing I don't like is the poor lighting. But I solved that problem by purchasing an LED strip light from Amazon last week. What a difference! I have it serviced about once a year. I keep wanting to trade it in for an Ellissimo or Destiny just for some of the newer features but I'm happy with my Ellegante.

I had the Ellegante. I traded it in for a Pfaff Creative Vision. The Ellegante was unbalanced for carrying. That was the right side was way to heavy to lift & move. The Pfaff is much more balanced in weight and much easier to move. [Move: like to take to a class.] Since I already had Pfaff sewing machines the learning curve was very short. Plus I can go back to the LQS where I bought it at anytime and get help. They can show me on an updated version or I can take mine in. All this is free.
    I love my CV so much that a friend after seeing what it could do finally bought a used one, as people often 'trade u[' for a newer machine.
    Have fun quilting! If it isn't fun, you will miss a lot.
    ali

I have the Ellegante 2 since around 2008. I love it for quilting and also embroidery. I have a college age daughter and we have embroidered everything from cosmetic bags to hairbows to towel wraps. I also keep a supply of cute dish towels on hand and embroider "Kaye's Kitchen" or something with the hostesses name and take it as a thank you gift. It's inexpensive but always thrills the hostess. I also use the zig zag feature on machine appliqué on quilts and other items. If you have more questions just pm me with you number and I'll be glad to chat.
    Sew much to do in sew little time!

I decided to try the Ellegante out. Called my friend & guess what? She 's so frustrated with her new machine that she's not ready to give up the Ellegante. Oh, well. At least she knows I'm interested when she feels more comfortable selling it.

what magnetic hoops did you buy? I have the Ellegante and I'm thinking of buying the hoops. I've been researching what to buy.

You can't go wrong with that machine. There is also so much more to machine embroidery now! There are several In The Hoop projects that are amazing.
    Dollsanddaydreams.com is wonderful
    Kirsten
    "You have nothing to lose but wrinkles!"

http://www.nerium.com/join/mrskirsten