Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Baby Lock Jazz ?? >

Baby Lock Jazz ??

Baby Lock Jazz ??

Old 03-26-2017, 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by svan View Post
Very frustrated with my new Baby Lock Jazz purchased on March 8, 2017. The appeal of the Jazz was that it was for quilters and it had that lovely deck , wide throat and great lighting that my present machines did not have. I am an experienced quilter and am presently working on the “Quilter’s Patch by Edyta Sitar”. My biggest frustration is that it does not like to go over any bulk. I am working on some pinwheels and you really have to fight to get it to go through the layers when joining them together. I do use a quilters Awl. A few times now the thread has broken when trying to do this and you better have a screwdriver handy. The thread gets caught up in the take-up lever inside and the only way to open the face plate is with a screwdriver from the back. I had to do this 4 times within the first 2 weeks. I took it back to the store after week one and he gave me other needles to try as the tension looked good with the samples I took in. I took it back after week two and he told me to try to reposition the needle. I am now closing in on week three and the frustration continues. I was really hoping this would be the work horse I was looking for. Right now I am not even enjoying my new machine, for the price I expected more.
Are you piecing or quilting?

Rob
Old 03-28-2017, 08:32 AM

Piecing at the moment.
Old 03-28-2017, 02:34 PM
Power Poster

How frustrating, svan. I have two Baby Locks and love them both. I wonder if you got a lemon (which happens sometimes) or if it's the model design. It is a new model that just came out - maybe they did not work out all of the bugs yet. Hope your dealer will do right by you.
Old 03-28-2017, 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by svan View Post
Piecing at the moment.

Does the presser foot have a pressure adjustment? That might help if you can adjust the pressure.

Rob
Old 03-31-2017, 07:52 AM

I will keep you posted. I sent an email to Baby Lock and they had someone look at the machine to make sure it was set up correctly. I have just picked it up but have not tried sewing yet. Sunday will be the test. At this point I wish I could take it back.
Old 03-31-2017, 08:49 AM

Svan----I completely understand your frustration with the difficulty of sewing over bulky seams with your bl. I have an ellure plus...have had for several years...thought it to be an upgrade to my dear Viking #1plus.......Not! Thank heavens my Viking is in working condition........it glides over those bulky seams without any problem, whereas the bl either skootches around it, making a crooked seam or just skips stitches over it......dealer twice......no answer...I did find that little black button on side of general foot that is supposed to auto adjust the pressure, but I don't use that foot when piecing! Now it's decided it's not going to be consistent with the blanket stitch.....I will be shopping soon, but I'm thinking all these new machines are basically the same....but I'm going to take a few pinwheels and a few of those orange peels with fused interfacing(MSQC)..........and the one that glides over the bulk and sews is the winner!
Old 03-31-2017, 04:53 PM

Excellent idea Geri
Old 04-11-2017, 04:58 AM

Unhappy Baby Lock Jazz

I finally found some sewing time and nothing has changed. I am still very disappointed with my Jazz. I realize I am trying to piece with seams creating bulk but if you cannot do this task and you are a quilter then it becomes frustrating. For $1,500.00 plus tax I think there was a better option. I am now out of ideas.
Old 04-11-2017, 08:43 AM

That's so disappointing, Svan. What does your dealer have to say?
Old 04-11-2017, 10:25 AM

My dealer is wonderful. I went to talk to him today and I tried the Baby Lock Soprano which went through the bulk no problem. He is going to call Baby Lock today and see if I can pay the difference between the two machines. I like baby lock just disappointed in the Jazz. A lot more bang for your buck with the Soprano. I will keep you posted with what Baby Lock does.