Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Baby Lock Jewel

A local Quit Shop owner offered to sell me a brand new Baby Lock Jewel Long Arm machine complete setup with almost all of the extras for $8000. Hubby told me go ahead get it...you never do anything for yourself. i was thrilled he told me too but in no way can I justify spending that kind of money-I want to get out of debt not create more lol
    It was nice though to touch and play with it-even if just for a moment in time lol
    Hugs
    April

I know the feeling. Would love to have a long arm and hubby says just go and get one but with the economy the way it is I'm afraid to spend that much money on myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Mamaskeeto
    I know the feeling. Would love to have a long arm and hubby says just go and get one but with the economy the way it is I'm afraid to spend that much money on myself.
    I completely understand!
    Hugs
    April

Quote Originally Posted by Loretta
    Good for you April! You will get one someday and won't have to create debt to get it either. Smart gal!
    Thanks Loretta. The only real debt we have is from when the little one was born and our house and cars (which I just finished paying one off in November so Im down to one-yeah!!)
    And you are right-some day I will have one and I won't need to create debt to get it-which will make it much more enjoyable for me :-)
    Hugs
    April

My Dh would start coughing if he knew the price of a long arm! Might have to call 911 for him!

Blog Entries
    Awww what a sweet DH :D:D:D
    I know what you mean about not wanting to go into debt...maybe you could start a LA account...make deposits here and there :wink:

wow - what discipline - I do understand... maybe set up an account and put the money in that you were paying for car payments and then each time you pay something off - just keep adding money to the account - it will grow quickly and you won't miss the money you've already been paying off other things with.

Quote Originally Posted by thismomquilts
    wow - what discipline - I do understand... maybe set up an account and put the money in that you were paying for car payments and then each time you pay something off - just keep adding money to the account - it will grow quickly and you won't miss the money you've already been paying off other things with.
    That is exactly what I am doing! Perhaps this time next year lol
    Hugs
    April

Babylock always has a sale this time of the year. So maybe if you save up for it, you can swing it next year. They have some really good deals too. I would give anything almost for one of these. For now I'm gonna save for the Grace Pinnacle frame as I have the Babylock Pro Quiltingers Choice Professionel & it will fit on this nicely. Would the dealer let you pay it out like layway?

Quote Originally Posted by Debra Mc
    Babylock always has a sale this time of the year. So maybe if you save up for it, you can swing it next year. They have some really good deals too. I would give anything almost for one of these. For now I'm gonna save for the Grace Pinnacle frame as I have the Babylock Pro Quiltingers Choice Professionel & it will fit on this nicely. Would the dealer let you pay it out like layway?
    Unfortunetly he wont. If I finance it it would have to be through the credit union I work for which would be fine but no layaway :-(
    Maybe next year I will have enough. This one had it all-the stylus, the grace pinnacle frame....ahhhh someday lol
    Hugs
    April

One thing about it, when you learn how to use it you can sell what you quilt or do work for other people & make some money. LAQ's make pretty good money at this. Something to think about. My Ds bought me a Babylock Elleago for my birthday & christmas. I traded my Ellure Plus in & got almost all I paid for it back. So remember the sales this time of year.

One thing about it, when you learn how to use it you can sell what you quilt or do work for other people & make some money. LAQ's make pretty good money at this. Something to think about. My Ds bought me a Babylock Elleago for my birthday & christmas. I traded my Ellure Plus in & got almost all I paid for it back. So remember the sales this time of year.
    I was thinking it would definetly pay for itself in no time. I will keep the sales in mind though! Thank you.
    Hugs
    April

Your baby is sure cute.

Your baby is sure cute.
    Thank you very much-she is my soul! i love her to pieces.
    Hugs
    April

April, you walk your little butt right back into that store and buy that machine -- you NEED it!!! :D :D

It's nice to think about making money with quilting on a frame, but remember the learning curve for these things is pretty steep. However, with practice and determination, you'll have a lot of fun and make some lovely quilts. You may want to check out some of the Yahoo groups that deal with the Jewel and frame quilting too. Lots of info there. And good for you saving up and not financing. I just bought a Pinnacle and have a Janome 1600p to drive on it. I love the setup. I will also be saving for a larger 18 inch machine, maybe the Jewel, maybe a Tin Lizzie...don't know yet:) Good things come to those who wait they say:)

My hubby would take one look and say "NOT"....

Quote Originally Posted by LovingIzabella
    A local Quit Shop owner offered to sell me a brand new Baby Lock Jewel Long Arm machine complete setup with almost all of the extras for $8000. Hubby told me go ahead get it...you never do anything for yourself. i was thrilled he told me too but in no way can I justify spending that kind of money-I want to get out of debt not create more lol
    It was nice though to touch and play with it-even if just for a moment in time lol
    Hugs
    April
    Anytime your husband actually says 'go ahead get it' - GET IT!!! :)

Quote Originally Posted by quiltmom04
    Anytime your husband actually says 'go ahead get it' - GET IT!!! :)
    LOL I hear ya believe me I was sooo tempted!
    Hugs
    April

Oh, I would have taken him up on that offer before it was completely out of his mouth. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: I've played with the Jewel at a local shop and fell in love.

The Jewel is a good long arm machine, and the Grace Pinnsacle is a very good frame...BUT...it is free motion set-up not a computer-controlled one. The 8 thousand price is very competitive right now. If you are sure that you can do what you want with a free motion carriage you will not be diappointed. I do not have that kind of ability myself (not many do), and so I would first take a look carefully at a rig called a PC Quilter, which is a truely robotic (and automatic) computerized system that does amazing work (while you do something else) and it will probably cost you much less than 4 thousand (all in), including a really good long arm sewing machine, and a good Pinnacle frame too...You can find lots of info thru Google about it.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by fatdog
    The Jewel is a good long arm machine, and the Grace Pinnsacle is a very good frame...BUT...it is free motion set-up not a computer-controlled one.
    Isn't is a mid-range machine (18" )? I played with it when I went to buy some bobbins. They quoted me $9k. Pat was with me and took a look at it but we both agreed that I need to outgrow what I have. BTW, the Jewel does have the stitch regulator built which I find a very helpful feature.

Quote Originally Posted by amma
    Awww what a sweet DH :D:D:D
    I know what you mean about not wanting to go into debt...maybe you could start a LA account...make deposits here and there :wink:
    good idea.