Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Baby Lock thread cutter button >

Baby Lock thread cutter button

Baby Lock thread cutter button

Old 02-11-2019, 05:34 PM

Are you starting with the needle up or down? I sometimes start with the needle down, then lower presser foot and start stitching.
Old 02-11-2019, 05:38 PM
lbc

I have a Babylock and have never had a problem. Have you taken it in to be serviced?
Old 02-11-2019, 07:45 PM
Power Poster

I don't have Babylock but all my machines that have the thread cutter has never made a bird's nest. The cutters can be adjusted to leave long or short tails. I like the short tails the best. Saves more thread.
Old 02-12-2019, 03:45 AM

I don't use the thread cutter often, because usually I make leader and ender pieces when I stop at the end of chain piecing. When I do use the thread cutter, I find the tails are too short to hold by hand and too long not to make a loop or two underneath, so I begin the next stitching on my "spider" (scrap piece sewn over a gazillion times). The spider doesn't have to be large to work. The one I'm using now is a strip only about a half inch wide, I think it was the "binding" around the armhole of a sleeveless top or something, lol. That's enough width to contain that little problem.
Old 02-12-2019, 05:16 AM

Have you tried holding a couple of inches of thread in the back, needle down in the fabrics, then start sewing?

How does the thread look when using the needle threader? Is is smooth into the eye of the needle? Sometimes I tug the little bit of loop out and straighten the thread first. Then start the machine sewing.

Is your dealer aware of the issue?
Old 02-12-2019, 05:19 AM

i have the same problem on my Janome when i use the cutter button. i just quit using it
Old 02-12-2019, 07:49 AM
Power Poster

I had the thread cutter adjusted to less then 1/2 tails. Works great.
Old 02-12-2019, 08:09 AM

My thread cutter was acting up, I took my machine in for a service, the service man called and said he had found a lot of thread around something there and replaced the gear and motor. I cost about 20 extra above the cost of service. You may want to have that checked when you next take it in for a service.
Old 02-12-2019, 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by GEMRM View Post
It sounds to me like the thread cutter leaves too short a thread, and that's why this happens. On some machines the length can be adjusted by the dealer
On my Brother, I don't need to have it adjusted by the dealer, I can adjust it myself by changing the number of holes the thread goes through on the three-holed thread guide. This is a bar located directly over the tension discs, it has 3 holes. If your thread is being cut too short, reduce the number of holes you're putting the thread through to two or even one hole.

Tricialt, I would hold the thread tails as you take the first 2-3 stitches, this should solve your problem.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 02-17-2019 at 06:07 AM. Reason: remove copyright pic
Old 02-13-2019, 11:06 AM

I quit using the thread cutter on my Baby Lock for the same reason. If you use the cutter, the tails are too short to hold onto when you start the next seam or whatever. Since I've never been able to figure out if there was a way to adjust the length of thread tail it leaves, I go the route of enders and leaders. Mostly I chain piece anyway, so it's not a big problem for me. Baby is now my back-up machine, but my newer Brother does the same thing.