Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Baby quilts for the future? >

Baby quilts for the future?

Baby quilts for the future?

Old 06-15-2020, 04:49 AM
Power Poster

I know the feeling. I have 2 married sons and never wanted to ask them when/if they were going to have kids. I just didn't want to!
Well, now we have Miss Arden Leigh and I've already made her 3 quilts lol (she's only 9 months old haha)
But I would def make some if you want. Sounds like a good plan!
In my case my kids are having kids a lot older than my husband and I did.
Old 06-15-2020, 05:15 AM

Go ahead and make those baby quilts. Enjoy every second of making them. Leave the quilts with a love note for the babies to be found later, You know...just in case.
Old 06-15-2020, 05:33 AM

Go for it and have all the fun you want making them. Make a couple extras while you are at it if you feel the urge. I know I so wanted to ask my kids if or when they planned on having a family. To my surprise family came first for one and about 5 years after for the second. I was prepared for neither. Of course I met the challenge but felt rushed. I always wished I had not had the pressure on me. You never know a niece or nephew or even a friend may be having a child into their families. They won't be wasted and do it while your vision is healthy.
Old 06-15-2020, 07:53 AM

Go for it. You will need to use that fabric anyway. I have given all my current baby quilts away. Really need to make a few more for stash. If I don’t like the way they turned out they are good for donating.
Old 06-15-2020, 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by Watson View Post
I always have baby quilts in reserve. I think I've got 4 right now.

If you've got the time, fabric and patterns...why not? No one has to know that you have a plan for these quilts.

Watson
Same here. I think I counted six the other day. It’s a quick project when I’m in a quilting funk. Also great for practicing FMQ. And occasionally DD asks if I have one for a baby shower. Plus they’re fun to make.
Old 06-15-2020, 08:18 AM

In my case I had my son later than many and then he and his lovely wife have presented the world with my first and they tell me only grandson. I'll be 60 this year. I may or may not be around if/when Leon has children of his own. But there will be a quilt or two designated for when I go. I have one now for him that I will keep at Grandma's house. It has buttons and such and not so suitable for a little baby. I started it some 10 years ago when I truly wasn't ready for any grandbabies.

Most of what I do now is for donation because there does come a limit to how many quilts a person can use and/or store and most of my family is at that point. I'm just not ready to stop piecing myself. Doesn't mean I make it only any different scale or standard than I do for the ones I make for the people I love. It happens sometimes someone doesn't like the top I make for them and would prefer something else and thinks another project is perfect.
Old 06-15-2020, 08:21 AM
Power Poster

Yes, go ahead and make them! You'll have so much fun. There is always a use for baby quilts.
Old 06-15-2020, 08:54 AM

You sound a lot like me! I decided to just start making them. I know I won’t have grandchildren, but other people will have babies in their futures.
Old 06-15-2020, 10:17 AM

I don't see why not. I've already started one for my someday hopefully grandbaby, even though I know my older son will never have kids, and my youngest has said he doesn't want any. Youngest is only 19 though, so I'm crossing my fingers he'll meet the right woman someday, and she'll change his mind.
Old 06-15-2020, 11:26 AM

Go right ahead and make some baby quilts. If it is some patterns and fabrics that you like, you will enjoy making them and you never know when a surprise might come your way.