Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
For Baby >

For Baby

For Baby

Old 05-07-2020, 07:10 PM

Default For Baby

My first grandchild will arrive in November. Parents do not want a lot of extra stuff. What are the homemade essentials? A Tummy Time quilt for sure!
Old 05-07-2020, 07:17 PM
Power Poster

Burp cloths and bibs are always handy. A nice bag with a change pad to go in it. Are they using disposables or do they want the cloth diapers with the PUL outer shell?
Old 05-08-2020, 04:33 AM

Congratulations! on the new baby coming... our daughter loved it when I made her a diaper pouch.. small diaper bag to hang on the stroller or stick in the car etc... holds diapers, disposable pads,wipes and even a change of onesies..
here is just one of many free patterns you can use for the pouch.
https://crazylittleprojects.com/diap...-wipes-holder/
Old 05-08-2020, 05:18 AM

The two suggestions above were the two I was thinking of. I also like bath blankets. Flannel works well for them. Make them like very large receiving blankets. 1 yd x 45" wide! The perfect size. I made about 20 of them for my last grandson and my daughter is still using them and he just turned 4, 2 days ago. Now of course they are used for other things.
They are great to swaddle a baby with too, And they are large enough unlike receiving blankets you might buy. They work for both uses. Winter babies need more than spring/summer babies.
Old 05-08-2020, 09:08 AM

Bibs and receiving blankets are something that Mom's go thru a lot.
Old 05-08-2020, 04:08 PM

Congrats!!! I am expecting my first great-granddaughter in September. Like you, I am wondering what to make! I will be making some hooded towels and some burp cloths. I also plan to make a changing pad that has a pouch for the box of wipes. Ofcourse, a little quilt!
Old 05-08-2020, 05:54 PM

One of the things that all mothers these days have is the shopping cart cover so their baby doesn't touch the cart at all. https://patternbaby.net/pattern-for-...ng-cart-cover/
Old 05-09-2020, 07:25 AM

Default Something different for papa-to-be

When our 1st grandkids (twins) were born last year, we decided that papa needed something too. Couldn't find anything. So I made a Dude Diaper Bag. Something big enough to haul around stuff for the twins as well as a 5 year old (step) granddaughter.

So I came up with this. Adjustable, removable cross-body strap, that they can also hang from the handle of the stroller. Semi-firm handles so they don't flop over. Frame around the top of the bag so it stays open, easy one hand opening and closing. A lot of trial and error, but it was a lot of fun.

The large bag ended up being 11-1/2"H (w/o handles) x 9"D x 18"W (closed), 19"W (open)

So I had to make minis for 5 year old and mama.

Attached Thumbnails dude-diaper-bag-1.jpg   ddb-2-open-.jpg   ddb-inside-baby-essentials.jpg   3-bags-2-.jpg  
Old 05-11-2020, 05:19 AM
Power Poster

I'm a new grandmother and the kids used a lot of swaddles for our little one. I didn't make them but I'm sure you could. They swaddled her for quite awhile.
Dotty, I'm so happy for you! It's the best thing ever!!!
Old 05-11-2020, 06:53 AM

My son and ddil had my first and they tell me only grandbaby last year. They are sort of "minimum footprint" sort of people anyway. They did a registry on Amazon or something. I made a quilt because of course I would I really restrained myself which was good because they got more of everything than they'd ever need.

On the good side of Covid, my son's been working from home and Liz had just gone back to work when everything hit. Ikea closed their stores early on the side of caution, before the state moratoriums went down. So although they are 2 adults, 2 cats, and a baby in a 600 SF 1 bedroom, it's so rare and special that Mommy and Daddy and Baby can spend this early time together. I tell them the typical log cabin was even smaller, 15x20 feet and no running water. Bless their hearts, they are so well suited for each other. I would be terrible cramped in that apartment.

Anyway, I told the kids that if the baby came early the only thing you really need is a car seat. Seriously, you can put the baby in a dresser drawer once you are home but must be safely gotten from the Hospital. I wanted to buy so many things and told myself "just don't". Again, they were given more of everything than they every needed. I did pick up some little practical things like lingerie bags to wash the tiny garments in. They don't have any hanger space or I would have gotten some little coat hangers.

I live close enough to do visit -- before Covid shut down Seattle anyway. I made suitable freezer meals (they are vegan), and was able to do a few loads of laundry for them too.