Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Handkerchief and Doilie Quilt >

Handkerchief and Doilie Quilt

Handkerchief and Doilie Quilt

Old 05-09-2020, 07:51 AM

Default Handkerchief and Doilie Quilt

I've been throwing around the idea of making a handkerchief and doilie quilt for several years. Now with time on my hands, I've pulled out those hankies and doilies and started to organize them. I have a book on crazy quilts and 2 on handkerchief quilts but there are limited resources available for making a hankie doilie quilt. You guys and gals have always had the best ideas and unlimited creativity and you've never let me down when I had questions before. Wondering if anyone else has made such a quilt and what you used to guide you. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 05-09-2020, 07:54 AM

I have done crazy quilts and looked at a couple books on doily/ hanky quilts but have not taken the jump. I have been collecting them for years like you. I know someone (or more) will have some great Ideas on how to proceed here with this.
Old 05-09-2020, 08:01 AM
Power Poster

With doilies, if they are hand made, you need to decide if you are going to appliqué the whole doily or not. If you want to cut a doily, machine stitch on both sides of the cutting line before cutting to prevent stitches from unraveling. Ideally the cut edge would be best secured in a seam.
Someone on QB was starting a crazy quilt using octagons quilt as you go and that looked great. I might go one step further and do the octagons with enough background fabric beyond the top so you could sew the background octagons together and then fold the edges down onto the top and stitch down. Have fun!
Old 05-10-2020, 03:07 AM

I have made a few things with old hankies but I would like to do more. I have the book "Hooked on Hankies" that I browse through occasionally. Would love to see what you come up with.
Old 05-12-2020, 09:14 AM

That type of quilt is on my bucket list ! Look on Pinterest or google image for ideas.