Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Babylock Jazz ll, anyone have one?? >

Babylock Jazz ll, anyone have one??

Babylock Jazz ll, anyone have one??

Old 03-04-2019, 05:37 PM

The Jazz II is .3” shorter than the 9” machine. To me, that is negligible to get 3 “ more width for the same price. The 9” has an automatic thread cutter that the Jazz doesn’t have. They both have needle down.
You should know the history of the Jazz II. When the original came out, it got a lot of attention because of its large harp with an affordable price. Quite a few people bought one, then realized they didn’t like to quilt without needle down. So after all the hype, it flopped without needle down. This Jazz II seams to be Babylock way of saving the original by adding the needle down.
In your shoes, I would get the Jazz II. But I have already shown I will gamble on an online machine purchase. I got my long arm online, untested, and I’m perfectly happy with my choice.
Old 03-04-2019, 07:24 PM

Thanks everyone for your help. It convinced me not to get a Jazz and went entirely another direction and got a new Janome. We have shows this weekend coming up and I got a deal I could not pass up. Also got 24 months for zero interest so it took out the sting.
Old 06-18-2019, 05:10 AM

I purchased a Jazz ll a couple of months ago. I absolutely would recommend it. I had a bit of trouble with the thread breaking at first. I wasn't moving the quilt in an even steady pace. Once I got settled down, I started enjoying myself.
Old 11-13-2019, 04:35 AM

I bought the Baby Lock Jazz II this past June and have it in the shop now and it needed to go in September. When I take my foot off the pedal it continues to stitch 3 to 18 more stitches. I would consider myself to be a confident beginner and have sewn simple panel curtains and now learning to quilt. I bought the Jazz II for the throat space, which is terrific and so is the LED light. However, I cannot control the speed yet and it is a disadvantage to me when trying to learn free motion quilting. I'm very upset to spend $630 (promotional sale) and something go wrong in 3 months. I considered trading it in for another Baby Lock but the price jumps considerably from the Jazz II to another model so that is out of the question. I hope when I get it back the problem will be fixed and I don't have it in again until it needs a regular cleaning.
Old 11-13-2019, 06:40 AM

I have the Babylock Jazz II and love everything about it. As with any sewing machine and free motion quilting there is a learning curve. It is a bit heavy but I'm not taking it to classes. I'd definitely recommend it, lots of dealers around the country in case you need service.
Old 11-13-2019, 01:39 PM

I have the original Jazz and love it! I am considering trading up to the II, but don't have the money to spend now with my DH a full time nursing student. Oh well...I have "mastered" (yeah, right), the Jazz, but would so love the needle up/down feature. *sigh*
Old 11-13-2019, 03:41 PM

The 12 inch width seems to create an illusion of a shorter height. I hear folks say this about the Bernina 12 inch vs. 10 inch also, but if you measure it, you see how it tricks our human eye.

For me, every inch of horizontal space is critical because I want maximum room to maneuver a wide ruler when needed in addition to room for the quilt to bunch up.

This machine is a screaming bargain for quilters who are skilled at controlling a mechanical. Especially if they need a machine with garment capabilities (buttonholes, ZZ, stretch stitches, etc) combined with maximum quilt/ruler space. A very smart combination.
Old 04-23-2020, 03:39 AM

Exclamation I have a Babylock Jazz II

My husband surprised me with a Babylock Jazz II last May (2019). I was so excited to get it and have enjoyed sewing with it. However, it's been in the shop once since purchase because occasionally it continues sewing even after taking my foot off the pedal. Sometimes it will go 3 more stitches, sometimes it will do as many as 8 or 9 more stitches. The first time it did it, it scared me to death!

My cousin is a sewing machine repairman and said this machine was not really manufactured by Babylock. He wouldn't say it outright, but I believe he alluded to it being made by Singer. Singer used to be the best of the best in sewing machines, but now with all the plastic parts, and subpar manufacturing practices, this machine is now nothing but trouble.

My machine is still under warranty and I took it to the shop yesterday for a second time for them to look at it again before it goes out from under the one year warranty. It's doing the same thing - sewing for 3 to 8 stitches after I lift my foot off the pedal. This is very dangerous. They believe there's possibly something wrong with the computer inside of it. I'm extremely disappointed. It still sews, but it scares me a little bit, not to mention it being annoying by sewing further than I wanted it to on each line.
Old 06-28-2020, 10:56 AM
Power Poster

I have had two sewing machines, a Juki and a Janome that kept sewing after I took my foot of the foot control. Both times I had to get a new foot controller. The new controller stopped the extra stitches. I would try a new controller before paying for expensive repairs if not under warranty. I bought both controllers on line after the shop gave me a quote of their prices. The ones I bought on line were one third the price of the shops. I wouldn't have minded paying more to the shop but not 2 times the price I paid for them online.
Old 07-09-2020, 01:58 AM

Mine ended up needing a completely new motherboard to make it stop going extra stitches. Luckily, it was still under the first year warranty and it didn't cost me a thing. So far, I'm having no more issues with the Baby Lock Jazz II.