Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Back to basics, needles and thimbles >

Back to basics, needles and thimbles

Back to basics, needles and thimbles

Old 02-19-2012, 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by Hinterland View Post
it sounds the quilt sandwich is too tight in your hoop or frame - try loosening up a bit. It's also possible you have a bad pack of needles, if they're breaking when you pull them through.

I use a piece of rubber to pull the needle through when it gets loaded up with stitches. Quilt shops sell rubber finger cots that will work, too.

Janet
Thanks, I'll try to keep it loose from now on Janet. Actually, I do think the needles are bad. I like the idea of a piece of rubber for needle traction. I'll give that a try.
Old 02-19-2012, 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by Kat Sews View Post
The elastic band from broccoli makes a good needle puller/gripper. I use a pair of small needle nose pliers to pull needles. I have been hand quilting since the '60 and my favorite needle so far is the John James #9 betweens. When I have problems with needle bending or breaking it is usually either to tight tension on quilt or a lot of seams to quilt across.
Hey Kat, great idea. We must buy similar broccoli. I know exactly what you are talking about. Actually I bought some rubber bands that might work too. Thanks. Wow, quilting since the 60's--that is very cool. You must have created some beautiful things.
Old 02-19-2012, 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by JustAbitCrazy View Post
I have a brass Roxanne's thimble, and it actually grips the needle to pull it through. You can also use a (medical instrument) hemostat or needle holder. They are readily available, on ebay at at flea markets, and look like tiny needle nosed pliers. Some have teeth on the blades, and if the teeth are too sharp, you can put a piece of tape over each blade so the needle doesn't get scratched.
Thanks, I will check that out.
Old 02-19-2012, 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by virtualbernie View Post
If you're not allergic, I use latex exam gloves. I cut the fingers off and use the fingers on the fingers that I use to pull the needle through. They are thin and because I'm only using them on the fingers my hands don't get hot and I can hold the needle as if they were my bare hands.
Thanks Bernie. I actually thought about that. Sounds like an excellent idea.
Old 02-19-2012, 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by Holice View Post
No one has suggested putting less stitches on the needle. I can hand quilt faster with just one or two stitches.
One does not have to fill the needle (unless he or she just wants to).
I can't even imagine trying to fill the needle. This problem exists with only two stitches on it. I'm thinking it is the needle. It has to go. Thanks for answering.
Old 02-19-2012, 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by momto5 View Post
I use a sterling thimble from Jean S. Lyles when I need one...I'm afraid the leather ones think they're just there to be sure I hit the target!
Thanks--I am thinking I need to do a little shopping. I need new needles and a couple different thimbles.
Old 02-19-2012, 05:00 PM

I didn't have sucess with the large eyed needles. I quilt with Clover betweens size 10...use a needle threader if you need to. I graduated years ago from the leather thimble (after a few pokes) to a metal one, I prefer John James. Everyone has their ideas, just try different ones until you are happy!!!! Keep stitchin'!!!!!
Old 02-19-2012, 05:18 PM

I use the Roxanne #9 Between needles from Keepsake Quilting. I have been quilting for over 4 years, tried many needles, but these are the best.......I have 3-4 stitches on the needle each time. Works for me really well.....Also if I need to pull the needle with something which is very seldom, I have the little blue "needle pullers" from Joann's. I think you get 3-5 in a pack. Some great suggestions on the board. Maybe one of them will help you.

Happy Quilting.
Old 02-19-2012, 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by rural01 View Post
Thanks Bernie. I actually thought about that. Sounds like an excellent idea.
Also, what batting are you using? Some batting is worse for handquilting than others...
Old 02-20-2012, 04:24 AM

You've already gotten some great advice here but I'll piggyback on a couple. I, too, use Roxanne needles usually #11 or #12. You definitely need the Roxanne threaders if you're going to use the #12's as other wired needle threaders are too thick to get through the eye. I will bend one every once in a while but not too often. I agree that the issue seems to be the large eye needle. I hated those things! I also use a (now) metal ThimbleLady thimble on my pushing (middle) finger. They have much deeper dimples than most thimbles and the open end makes them, for me, quite comfortable to wear. I would destroy the leather thimbles doing cross-stitch so can you imagine quilting???? ThimbleLady has plastic versions and a very good measuring explanation if you want to try them. I started with that to see if I liked them. Then upgraded to the stainless steel version. Still quite affordable compared to some. Hoop/frame tension might be an issue for you as well. Looser equals better. I use the rubber finger tips found in office supply stores on my index finger for pulling. This way I'm not stopping to pick up/put down all the time. It does help quite a bit but occassionally still need to use needle nose pliers. They are a godsend.