Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Back brace for quilters >
  • Back brace for quilters

• Back brace for quilters

Old 01-18-2018, 06:10 PM

Question Back brace for quilters

I need to have better posture and maybe a back brace will help will all the sitting at the machine while sewing and quilting. Have any of you used them, do you recommend any certain types, where to buy, costs, etc. Thanks
    Old 01-18-2018, 06:39 PM

i have that problem too, so recently I've started putting a piece of swim noodle behind my back--makes me sit up straighter or it drops--so a constant reminder. it does help me.
    Old 01-18-2018, 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by quiltingshorttimer
    i have that problem too, so recently I've started putting a piece of swim noodle behind my back--makes me sit up straighter or it drops--so a constant reminder. it does help me.
    Do you put it between your shoulder blades, or lower?
    Old 01-18-2018, 07:55 PM
    Power Poster

Years ago I used this one and it did seem to help:
    http://search.nancysnotions.com/?q=b...h=&sp_cs=UTF-8

I used to have back problems until my doctor sent me to a clinic that specializes in exercises for back and neck pain. They checked out my MRI first to make sure it was safe, then put me through a series of strengthening exercises on their workout machines that were able to isolate specific muscles. I went twice a week for something like 10 weeks. Have not had any back problems since then. However, nowadays I never sit and sew for longer than an hour at a time (usually less) without getting up and doing other activities in-between. Also, I continue to use a Roman chair for back exercises.
    Old 01-18-2018, 08:09 PM

Before you get too into buying a new chair or a back brace - you need to make an ergonomic evaluation of your sewing station. If you "The Back Store" in your area you might go in go in and see what they recommend for a chair. Better yet meet with a occ. therapist - a referral from a doctor is needed for that but Prism99 is right about getting the exercise to strengthen your abdomen and back and also while sewing get up and move a lot.
    Old 01-18-2018, 11:05 PM

Pilates is great for strengthening your core muscles, which results in better posture. I have one of the Pilates machines which I use regularly and it does make a difference. I used to do both yoga and Pilates classes but had an accident and now have mobility issues and the floor type exercise aren’t suitable hence the machine.
    Old 01-19-2018, 03:46 AM

I have lower back problems and sitting too long gets very painful, last year we purchased one of those electric adjustable height desks for me to sew on. It's wonderful! I stand to do 90% my sewing and quilting now which is much much easier on my back and if I need to sit I just push a button to lower it and grab my chair. I got one of those thick foam floor mats to stand on and I got a desktop that is 30x72 so I have more room for my quilts to puddle. Talk to your doctor or PT for recommendations about altering your ergonomics.
    Old 01-19-2018, 10:34 AM

Leah Day sells a quilting back support that puts a 2 pound weight in your lower back area and the pull from the attached shoulder straps remind you to sit up straighter and not curl your back and shoulders forward. (You can find it for sale here, along with a short video that shows it in use and how it works.) If you have some small hand weights (or something similar) on hand, you could probably rig up something similar to see if the general idea is likely to work for you. I haven't tried this product, but I think it looks intriguing.
    Old 01-19-2018, 05:10 PM

I go to exercise class 3 times every week at the YMCA and do the strengthing exercises daily at home that my PT taught me. Chiropractor also recommended a brace for sewing. I will check out the Lean Day site and also ask physician if Medicare has one that is paid for. Thanks for your help.
    Old 01-19-2018, 05:23 PM
    Power Poster

Just so you know, the one at the Leah Day site looks like the same one (same price also) as the one I linked at Nancy's Notions, and both look like the one I wore years ago.