Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
To back or not to Back >

To back or not to Back

To back or not to Back

Old 11-30-2011, 10:13 AM

I use leftover batting, put backing on it. I just did sid. I did take 2 to La. Still there.
Show u's when done!!
Old 11-30-2011, 11:11 AM

Anxious to see your topper. That is what I am working on now. Glad you are going to back it. I am going to be using the thin low loft batting and backing mine and then doing the quilting just like the pattern in the Fon's & Porter book shows. I had thought about no batting, backing and not quilting it right now...but I changed my mind. It's going on the table where hubby and I eat every night with placemats over it where we sit, of course. When I thought more about it I said it has to be finished right or it will get all messed up moving it around. I WILL get this done before Christmas Eve...lol.
Old 11-30-2011, 11:22 AM

I agree with the others that suggested that yes, you should back and quilt it. I like flannel for batting when I make table
runners or placemats. When you make something that is 40" square, you really need to do some quilting in it. It may look nice when you are finished with it now, but when the time comes to wash it, the quilting will hold it together.
Old 11-30-2011, 12:50 PM

I put on a backing and use a thin batting and do quilt it. I look at them a table top quilts.
Old 11-30-2011, 12:58 PM

I prefer lining and thin batting. Then again it depends on the cloth.
Old 11-30-2011, 01:24 PM
Power Poster

i've used a layer of pre-washed in expensive flannel instead of batting in a couple table runners- for people who like them very flat-it gives just enough body to the project-i've also used fusable fleece=and very low-loft batting.
i have done pillow case style- then a small amount of quilting- others have been extensively quilted- just depends on the project- i would never leave it with no backing though- the seams will fray apart in no time with use/laundering.
Old 11-30-2011, 03:14 PM
Power Poster

I would use a backing so that the piecing would NOT unravel. It is up to you to decide whether to use batting, flannel or nothing. Of course if you use flannel, you want to wash it before using.... GOOD LUCK !!!