Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: To back or not to Back

Blog Entries

Question To back or not to Back

I just finish a 40" square top I am going to give as a present for christmas. Have decided to make it a table topper with potholders and fabric bowls to go with it. Do most of you back your toppers that are basically just a quilt top? I was thinking with flannel and use a pillowcase method for finishing. Do you quilt or leave plain? It is a tube pattern done from a jelly roll from Tuesday Morning. I am not sure this tube method is for me. Lots of starch and still a good deal of ripple. I appreciate your suggestions.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Diet Dr. Pepper in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO-HOO, what a ride!!"

I received a beautiful table topper as a gift and it had a back and was all professionally machine quilted.

Blog Entries
    Most of mine are not quilted. It depends on the look you want. Some have had batting and others have not. Your choice.

Personally, I like to add both batting and backing and quilt it.

If you don't back it, the edges and seams will get all raveled and frayed and it won't look nice for long. Flannel backing and the pillowcase method would be fine, but I would put at least some quilting in it. Forty inches is a large area which will start sagging and bagging, especially if it gets washed a lot.

It will make a wonderful gift, I like the idea of the potholders and fabric bowl to go with it!

I agree with AndiR for sure. Lots of my family never had Grannys quilt tops quilted and they washed them and what a mess on the back.
    http://www.skillpages.com/DonnaValleyquiltermo
    Sweet Dreams come from under Cozy Quilts made with love.
    Life is short, take time to enjoy it. Play with your kids and g-kids,
    and do what you can for others.

For table items I like a thin batting( pre- shrunk) and a thin backing. I think a thin batting helps to even out the seam bulk and give more body to the project. I have even used a poly felt in place of batting for these types of projects...

I always use batting and a backing - I used to mainly pillowcase but now usually don't use that method anymore - just my personal preference. The one time I didn't se a batting and backing I regretted it cuz if you wash it (which I usually do at least once before putting it away for the season), oh the wrinkles and threads coming out of the woodwork to say hi - cut me!!

I've been tempted to do the 10 minute table runner but am thinking of buying the thinnest flannel I can find to put in it cuz I just think it would hold better with at least some batting.

Also, if you decide to put a backing on, I agree 40" is too big of an area not to at least put a few quilting lines in.

Seems like it would eventually start to fray and come apart if there wasn't some sort of backing.

Blog Entries
    I like Pellon fleece interfacing for table runners and placemats- not the fusible one. I'd use it in a tablecloth, too. Quilter's Dream has some thin poly batting usually sold for apparel that would work, too. Yes, I would use batting and backing. Flannel might work for the batting if you preshrink it. Some quilting? Yes.

Blog Entries
    Thanks, that is what my gut was telling me. Should go with our first instincts, huh? Will post pics when I finish. Thanks again, I appreciate your input.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Diet Dr. Pepper in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO-HOO, what a ride!!"

Blog Entries
    I use leftover batting, put backing on it. I just did sid. I did take 2 to La. Still there.
    Show u's when done!!

Anxious to see your topper. That is what I am working on now. Glad you are going to back it. I am going to be using the thin low loft batting and backing mine and then doing the quilting just like the pattern in the Fon's & Porter book shows. I had thought about no batting, backing and not quilting it right now...but I changed my mind. It's going on the table where hubby and I eat every night with placemats over it where we sit, of course. When I thought more about it I said it has to be finished right or it will get all messed up moving it around. I WILL get this done before Christmas Eve...lol.

I agree with the others that suggested that yes, you should back and quilt it. I like flannel for batting when I make table
    runners or placemats. When you make something that is 40" square, you really need to do some quilting in it. It may look nice when you are finished with it now, but when the time comes to wash it, the quilting will hold it together.

I put on a backing and use a thin batting and do quilt it. I look at them a table top quilts.

Blog Entries
    I prefer lining and thin batting. Then again it depends on the cloth.

Blog Entries
    i've used a layer of pre-washed in expensive flannel instead of batting in a couple table runners- for people who like them very flat-it gives just enough body to the project-i've also used fusable fleece=and very low-loft batting.
    i have done pillow case style- then a small amount of quilting- others have been extensively quilted- just depends on the project- i would never leave it with no backing though- the seams will fray apart in no time with use/laundering.
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

I would use a backing so that the piecing would NOT unravel. It is up to you to decide whether to use batting, flannel or nothing. Of course if you use flannel, you want to wash it before using.... GOOD LUCK !!!
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort