Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: backing/binding

I was wondering if the backing of a quilt could be brought to the front and used instead of binding? Is this done at all?

I did this with a wall hanging that my SIL had started before she got sick. There wasn't enough fabric left to make binding, and instead of buying something to contrast I just decided to pull it around the front and tack it down like a binding. It worked fine and I think it looked OK. Will be interested to see if anyone else has done this!

I have a quilter friend this is all she does and it is beautiful. Worked perfectly for her. I have not tried it just the old fashion way. I say go for it! And welcome to our board!!

Blog Entries
    Self-binding using the backing is a very old method, has been done for many many decades.

Blog Entries
    i do it whenever my backing fabric coordinates well with the fabs in the top.

Blog Entries
    it takes good pressing/pinning; but you could probably use the elmers glue method to hold it for stitching doing it this way. i have not tried the gluing methods yet, but i have done self-binding on a couple quilts.

Quote Originally Posted by tooMuchFabric
    Self-binding using the backing is a very old method, has been done for many many decades.

This is absolutely true....that is how they used to do it years ago and many people still do it that way today.

I use this method all the time for our Community quilts that our guild gives away. I also use it on quick quilts that are going to get a lot of use. It's a fast way to get done and I find that it wears well. I just cut my backing fabric 1" wider, fold under 1/4", wrap to front making sure everything is tucked in and top stitch on the front sometimes using a machine decorative stitch. It looks great and unless you were a quilter you would never know that I hadn't applied a separate binding. It's guaranteed to match! My MIL who is still quilting at 87 has always finished her quilts this way and she learned it from her grandmother in the 30's.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I know alot of people that do it. I read somewhere if you make your own binding it is stronger.

Yup, that is the only way my grandmother did hers.

I do it this way for charity quilts but I go one step further and make sure I have enough backing to double it before stitching down. Makes for a more durable binding that doesn't wear thru as quickly.

Blog Entries
    A doubled layer where the backing/binding comes over to the front of the quilt will last longer than a single layer.
    This is true no matter what method of binding you use.
    More layers means it will take more wear.
    And if you wear out a single layer of self-binding, there is nothing to fall back on in years to come - it would have to have a new binding anyway.
    If the quilt is not for long-term life, then it doesn't make a lot of difference.

I just did this on a customer's quilt for her. It is what she wanted and it looked great.

Quote Originally Posted by barking-rabbit
    I was wondering if the backing of a quilt could be brought to the front and used instead of binding? Is this done at all?
    Sure - many people used to do this in the olden days. I have several quilts, both antique and made in the 60's to 70's that use the backing as the binding. I know there are some folks that still do it today, especially for wall hangings, as I read questions about it periodically. I don't know that I'd do it for a show quilt though.

The only reason a regular binding normally is used is to double the fabric on the edge, as the binding is the first item to show wear. Using a bias, where the threads run diagonally will show wear even less than the straight binding. Both can also be used as an artistic detail.

At least...this is what I was taught by a very old quilter :)

Debbie in Austin (who didn't read all the feedback and hope she's not repeating!)

Certainly you can do it. I personally don't care for the method but you can do it whichever way you want to, it's your quilt. No quilt police here. LOL

I embroider lap quilts, and when I'm done, I put a thin
    piece of batting on the back of the quilt and use fabric as a backing to cover up the threads from embroidering the quilt. I always bring the back fabric over the edges and use it as binding. Looks nice and works well. The only difference between this way of binding and the traditional way of binding is when it comes to the ends of the quilt and the ends are round, I do need to gather the binding a bit to get it to gracefully turn the corner.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dgmoby
    The only reason a regular binding normally is used is to double the fabric on the edge, as the binding is the first item to show wear.

Plus, a self-binding is part of the main body of the quilt and if the binding is damaged, the main part of the quilt is damaged.

if the separate binding gets worn, the main quilt is not damaged, and you (or someone down the years!) can just replace the applied binding with another, and on the quilt goes for its next 50 years!!

I have used this method if my backing makes a good binding color to match the top.I am not really picky about by backing and tend to use a solid color. If I do that and I do not want that solid for my binding then I make my bindiing out of a coordinating print.

Yes, it is one of the oldest methods of binding--you see it quite often on antique quilts. Not a good idea to do this on a quilt that is going to get a lot of wear and cleaning. The binding just doesn't hold up as well.
    Usually it is ok to use on wallhangings.
    I have a wallhanging I am ready to do self binding. It has been hand pieced and hand quilted and I didn't want to use machine applied binding. I guess I just want to be able to say I did it ALL by hand.

Good luck
    Chris

Senior Member MomtoBostonTerriers's Avatar
    My grandmother and aunt (now 91 years old) did all their quilts that way.

I've done it-don't love it, but it's really personal choice.

I have done it on quilts before and it worked great. They have held up just fine too.

Blog Entries
    I do it all the time. Usually on items that aren't going to get a lot of handling or washing like wall hangings and table toppers.
    There are no quilt police. Go for it.

I do this all the time. It works great for me.

Quote Originally Posted by barking-rabbit
    I do it all the time, either to the front or if it works out better to the back. I especially like it for usuable quilts and kids quilts as the edge is a lot softer and you do not add weight.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast