Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
backing/binding >

backing/binding

backing/binding

Old 10-16-2010, 05:01 AM

I do it this way for charity quilts but I go one step further and make sure I have enough backing to double it before stitching down. Makes for a more durable binding that doesn't wear thru as quickly.
Old 10-16-2010, 05:04 AM

A doubled layer where the backing/binding comes over to the front of the quilt will last longer than a single layer.
This is true no matter what method of binding you use.
More layers means it will take more wear.
And if you wear out a single layer of self-binding, there is nothing to fall back on in years to come - it would have to have a new binding anyway.
If the quilt is not for long-term life, then it doesn't make a lot of difference.
Old 10-16-2010, 05:07 AM

I just did this on a customer's quilt for her. It is what she wanted and it looked great.
Old 10-16-2010, 05:09 AM

Originally Posted by barking-rabbit
I was wondering if the backing of a quilt could be brought to the front and used instead of binding? Is this done at all?
Sure - many people used to do this in the olden days. I have several quilts, both antique and made in the 60's to 70's that use the backing as the binding. I know there are some folks that still do it today, especially for wall hangings, as I read questions about it periodically. I don't know that I'd do it for a show quilt though.

The only reason a regular binding normally is used is to double the fabric on the edge, as the binding is the first item to show wear. Using a bias, where the threads run diagonally will show wear even less than the straight binding. Both can also be used as an artistic detail.

At least...this is what I was taught by a very old quilter :)

Debbie in Austin (who didn't read all the feedback and hope she's not repeating!)
Old 10-16-2010, 05:11 AM

Certainly you can do it. I personally don't care for the method but you can do it whichever way you want to, it's your quilt. No quilt police here. LOL
Old 10-16-2010, 06:01 AM

I embroider lap quilts, and when I'm done, I put a thin
piece of batting on the back of the quilt and use fabric as a backing to cover up the threads from embroidering the quilt. I always bring the back fabric over the edges and use it as binding. Looks nice and works well. The only difference between this way of binding and the traditional way of binding is when it comes to the ends of the quilt and the ends are round, I do need to gather the binding a bit to get it to gracefully turn the corner.
Old 10-16-2010, 06:55 AM

Originally Posted by dgmoby
The only reason a regular binding normally is used is to double the fabric on the edge, as the binding is the first item to show wear.

Plus, a self-binding is part of the main body of the quilt and if the binding is damaged, the main part of the quilt is damaged.

if the separate binding gets worn, the main quilt is not damaged, and you (or someone down the years!) can just replace the applied binding with another, and on the quilt goes for its next 50 years!!
Old 10-16-2010, 06:59 AM

I have used this method if my backing makes a good binding color to match the top.I am not really picky about by backing and tend to use a solid color. If I do that and I do not want that solid for my binding then I make my bindiing out of a coordinating print.
Old 10-16-2010, 01:51 PM

Yes, it is one of the oldest methods of binding--you see it quite often on antique quilts. Not a good idea to do this on a quilt that is going to get a lot of wear and cleaning. The binding just doesn't hold up as well.
Usually it is ok to use on wallhangings.
I have a wallhanging I am ready to do self binding. It has been hand pieced and hand quilted and I didn't want to use machine applied binding. I guess I just want to be able to say I did it ALL by hand.

Good luck
Chris
Old 10-16-2010, 01:52 PM

My grandmother and aunt (now 91 years old) did all their quilts that way.