Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: backing as binding?

Blog Entries
    Does anyone use the backing as the binding? I have a friend that says she uses the backing as the binding. That sounds like an interesting ideas. Any tips and tricks to do this?

Super Member Lisa_wanna_b_quilter's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I've done that. Just fold and pull the backing over to the front and stitch.

Not exactly sure what you are referring to. I sometimes use the same fabric for the backing and binding, but they are seperate pieces. Some cut the backing bigger than their quilt and then fold that piece in half up against the top. Fold it once more up onto the quilt top and then sew the edge to the top. Probably clear as mud, right?

I've never tried it but I have heard of others doing it.

Blog Entries
    Here is a pictorial tute on how to do this method :D:D:D

http://www.whatididatschooltoday.com...ory_a_qui.html

Blog Entries
    It like what Lisa mentioned. One piece of fabric. used as both the backing and binding. If anyone has pictures I would love to see a few examples.

Blog Entries
    Emma...you are awesome!!!

Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!
    Blog Entries
    I always fold my backing over to the front for binding. I don't have the patience to do it anyother way. My DGM did this all the time and I love it.

me too, I usually do that, unless I am off and there isn't enough backing leftover!!

I have got to try this!!!!

Blog Entries
    have heard of it but have never actually tried it. Let us know how it works!

Blog Entries
    Yes I do it often. I've used the top fabric folded to the back, and I've also used the backing folded to the front. Just depends on what look I want. Easier and faster than binding. BTW I make sure I have enough fabric along the edges to fold in half first then foldover to the back or front, thereby giving me a double layer of fabric on the edges. I hope that's clear.

I primarily do this.... it's just faster and easier to me. It helps tie the backing to the topping as well.. IMHO

Super Member Lisa_wanna_b_quilter's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I'm trying to learn to do "real" bindings but I pretty much stink at it. Pulling the backing forward is so much easier for me!

I have done that on a lot of my quilts. Super easy, just leave a 2-3 inch extra around the quilt and fold and turn it to the front and you have your binding!

I do it to all the quilts I make!

Blog Entries
    I've done it a few times. It's easy to do. I read posts here already that give the instructions so I won't need to repeat them. Mostly, however, I make a separate binding. ;)

I tried this on one of my quilts and I didn't like the finished product. I always make my binding seperate and sew it on, flip it over and hand sew the edge down. However, sometimes I use the same fabric as the backing depending on the pattern and color.

I do it, depending on the quilt. This one was for a DGD, and I just loved the fabric, but this is what the edge looks like when done.

Finished edge
    Name:  Attachment-126538.jpe
Views: 33
Size:  59.9 KB

Front with backing showing
    Name:  Attachment-126539.jpe
Views: 33
Size:  60.9 KB

I sometimes use this method for table runners or small items but don't feel it wears as well on a quilt. Many of the antique quilts you find were done this way and the binding usually has worn places because it was not doubled.

Blog Entries
    I tried it and didn't like how it turned out for me. I must be an odd-ball because I love making my own binding and putting it on and hand-sewing it down. I think the binding frames the finished quilt. My little grandson even sat on my lap as I machine sewed binding onto a lap quilt. I am starting him out young. LOL!!

This is the method my MIL taught me when we were first married. She has been quilting for almost 80 years and I've yet to see one of her quilts with the binding in worse shape than the quilt. By the time the binding is looking worn, the rest of the quilt is too. I use this easy binding method for all my kids quilts and Community quilts. If it is a special quilt (DD's wedding) I'll use a separate binding but otherwise this method is great. I like a binding a little wider so I usually cut my backing 1 1/4" larger than the quilt, fold in half and turn to the front and use one of my fancy machine stitches to secure it. You'd have to be very observant to realize that it isn't a separate binding. Of course this means that you have to make sure that your backing is a good match for the top as it is the binding too.

I do it when the backing blends well with the fabrics on the front.

Power Poster
    I do it sometimes. It is called back to front binding. It saves on material and time if you are in a hurry.

I don't think the edge ends up being as sturdy as the separate binding, but it is perfectly acceptable (except in judged quilt shows). I saw a quilt that was very effective with a self-binding. The person made the self-binding very thin and it ended up looking like piping.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast