Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
backing as binding? >

backing as binding?

backing as binding?

Old 11-22-2010, 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by amma
Here is a pictorial tute on how to do this method :D:D:D

http://www.whatididatschooltoday.com...ory_a_qui.html
Can you use a Zig Zag instead of a straight stitch? I've never done a quilt this way but I have to get one done in a hurry. Thanks for the tute.
Old 12-01-2010, 03:00 AM

I tried this on my table runner I made this weekend...its harder than it sounds....I think I like the other way better....separate piece, fold, iron and sew.
Old 12-01-2010, 03:32 AM

I recently tried the backing as binding was not happy with the result,could be I need to practice it on something smaller becauce my neighbor does it all the time and looks great and seems to hold up quite well. But I will probably do the seperate binding,like the look better for me.
Old 01-15-2011, 06:30 PM

I always do this for my t-shirt quilts and then do a zigzag stitch because these quilts usually get some heavy-duty use by kids. My other quilts usually get a separate binding.
Old 05-20-2011, 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by SuziC
I have done that on a lot of my quilts. Super easy, just leave a 2-3 inch extra around the quilt and fold and turn it to the front and you have your binding!
Would you please tell me how you mitre your corners on the front?( I am doing 10 charity quilts and they want the backing folded to the front.) Thankyou
Old 05-20-2011, 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by Izaquilter
have heard of it but have never actually tried it. Let us know how it works!
It works great! The only time I use a separate binding is when it's a special quilt (like a raffle quilt) or when I just don't have enough backing. It's really the most practical way. All of my aunts did it that way.
Old 05-20-2011, 03:30 PM

That's how my grandma did it. Fold the backing over to the front and stitch it down.
Old 05-20-2011, 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by linken
Originally Posted by SuziC
I have done that on a lot of my quilts. Super easy, just leave a 2-3 inch extra around the quilt and fold and turn it to the front and you have your binding!
Would you please tell me how you mitre your corners on the front?( I am doing 10 charity quilts and they want the backing folded to the front.) Thankyou
I used this method for placemats. The pattern is in McCall's Quick Quilts, February/March 2010 and it includes very good diagrams and instructions, including the mitered border. I'm sure this would work for your your quilts, also. You may have to go on-line to McCall's website for the magazine. (The name of the placemat pattern is Roadside Stand) Good Luck!
Old 05-20-2011, 04:17 PM

The binding, I find, is the first thing to fray on a quilt because it takes so much punishment. I also have tried to fold it over the finished product but have been dissatisfied because it doesn't last that long. If I want to use backing fabric, I usually buy a little extra of the fabric and make my own binding putting it on as usual.
Old 05-20-2011, 04:52 PM

I prefer a seperate binding. I have used the leftover backing fabric for binding but I cut it in strips and make it a seperate binding.