Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
backing as binding? >

backing as binding?

backing as binding?

Old 11-16-2010, 02:50 AM

Originally Posted by carolaug
Does anyone use the backing as the binding? I have a friend that says she uses the backing as the binding. That sounds like an interesting ideas. Any tips and tricks to do this?
Growing up and quilting with my mom and grandmother, this was the only way that we bound a quilt. I did not learn the other binding method until a few years ago.
Old 11-16-2010, 03:00 AM

This has been very interesting!!! Love that I have found another way to bind...self bind. I will do both but I can see where the self binding will be so easy, save time and money. I think both ways look nice. But can also see where sometimes the back pattern will not match the front. Thank you all for your comments and tutorials!!!! You All are wonderful teachers!!!!
Old 11-16-2010, 05:43 AM

Is there a "quick turn" method where the backing fabric shows on the front? In this case it would be sewn on BEFORE quilting.

I assume you'd cut the backing about 2" wider and longer than the quilt top. Layer the quilt first batting, then quilt top right side up, then backing right side down. Sew one side (raw edge to raw edge), shift the fabric, sew the other side (raw edge to raw edge), do the top (raw edge to raw edge), and the bottom, leaving an opening to turn it.

Turn it all right-side out...but you'd have to fiddle with the corners. Anyway, then you'd machine stitch around the seam line.

I'm making this up but surely it's done somewhere?
Old 11-16-2010, 05:47 AM

I have done that. It makes a nice finish.
Old 11-16-2010, 06:34 AM

I have used backing as binding and it works well . I only use this method when I want the backing fabric to be used as binding. That is not always the case.
Old 11-16-2010, 09:03 AM

I did that when I first started quilting - made 4 place mats for my mom - and it looked AWFUL! It was impossible for me to get it to be square. I transcribed for a judge at the county fair and she just ripped on a quilt that had the backing used for binding (horrified, glad it wasn't mine!) - so if the quilt will be in a show, I would go the regular binding route.
Old 11-16-2010, 09:36 AM

I love this method for a quick, no fuss , just get it done method.
Old 11-16-2010, 09:53 AM

Often do this, fold the backing over the top and slip stitich into place, especially when using a flannel backing on a Project Linus quilt as it makes the edges of the quilt soft to touch.
Old 11-16-2010, 09:57 AM
Power Poster

I do all the time especially on baby quilts because it reduces weight and keeps the edge softer/flexible. Sometimes when i am short money and do not have extra fabric I do this too to safe a yards worth of material or the cost of it. I also birth quilts.

http://www.ehow.com/how_4918836_quil...-easy-way.html
Old 11-16-2010, 09:58 AM

I always use the backing as my binding. I have a ruler that is a little wider than 1" and I lay it down along the edge of my quilt top and mark the quilt backing. I iron the quilt backing over and then double that edge over my quilt top and sew it down for my binding. It works great and I don't have to mess with trying to get any bias to fit around the edge.