Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Backing bunches up >

Backing bunches up

Backing bunches up

Old 11-03-2010, 09:49 PM

I baste on the carpet, but slip two 18 x 24 cutting mats under the area I'm pinning so I don't also pin the carpet. Getting down there isn't the problem; getting up is well ...
Old 11-04-2010, 03:59 AM

Originally Posted by amma
I use the carpet, easier on my knees :wink: I place one of those flat glass marbles (used in vases for floral arrangements) underneath the backing. It slightly raises the area so I can pin it easily. I just gently slide it around where it is needed :D:D:D

Starching the backing first really makes a big difference, and also slightly stretch out the backing when you pin it to the carpet or tape it to the floor :D:D:D
Thanks for your help,
Angela
Old 11-04-2010, 04:01 AM

Originally Posted by CompulsiveQuilter
I baste on the carpet, but slip two 18 x 24 cutting mats under the area I'm pinning so I don't also pin the carpet. Getting down there isn't the problem; getting up is well . ..
Thanking you for your idea....I know what you mean about getting up, or trying to get up!
Angela
Old 11-04-2010, 04:02 AM

Originally Posted by CompulsiveQuilter
I baste on the carpet, but slip two 18 x 24 cutting mats under the area I'm pinning so I don't also pin the carpet. Getting down there isn't the problem; getting up is well ...
Thanks for your help. Boy oh Boy, trying to get up certainly is another story these past years!!!!!!
Angela
Old 11-04-2010, 04:43 AM

If I had such a huge project to quilt, I would use an adhesive spray, but preparing your quilt is absolutely essential to avoid any buckles.

Iron your backing and top quilt.
Tape your backing to the floor (not carpet) so you can spread it out smoothly. Tape the side so it won't move. This step is important. Don't skimp on the tape.
Lay your batting, and top quilt for sizing; then roll it back up.
Using the adhesive spray, spray about 24 inches across the backing. Start at the top of the quilt (the narrowest part of the quilt)and lay the batting, spread your hands over the batting to flatten out, spray more, roll the batting, spray again, repeat making sure you run your hands over the batting to avoid buckling. If it does, just lift the batting carefully and reposition. Do this until you finish.
Repeat for the topping. If you miss any spots, go back and spray, flatten and iron. After I put the batting down, I iron that too.

Some sprays require you pass an hot iron over the layers to activate the adhesive. The spray works well with cotton and cotton/poly batting. I have never tried it on 100% poly. I've been doing this for the last 5 projects and it has not let me down. The advantage to this procedure is that you can move the quilt around while it's on the machine and the layers will not move. I did my granddaughter's twin-size quilt (70x95) on my Janome 6600 and those layers didn't move at all.

I have used June Taylor adhesive and Dritz I got both at JoAnns with a coupon. JT is cheaper and a larger can. Dritz is a smaller can and easier to clean up with soap and water if you get it past the edges of your quilt (more expensive though). I think once you've used this stuff you will be amazed of how much easier your quilting will go. I hate using the pins because it's difficult for my fingers to close them. I also don't have feelings at the tips so pinning isn't an option most of the time for me.

If you're doubtful about using the spray, make a sample just by using a smaller piece to see if you feel comfortable with the process. Try it on a 24" x 24" pieces. It will give you a general idea and then you can try quilting it. If you feel the process was pleasant, then go for it on the larger quilt.

Option #2:
If you don't have a large enough floor, or pet hair is a problem, try using your dining room table. I am fortunate that mine is 4' x 6' so I use large black binder clips to hold the edges down along the sides of the table. I do it in increments and I absolutely am careful it does not buckle when I have to move the quilt. When using my table I spray the batting first, then iron, then do as much as my table will cover. Reposition the rest of the quilt, clip to table and continue the process. It's tricky, but that's what I have to do. My floor isn't an option because I have a small house.

Good luck and I hope you enjoy quilting your project.
Old 11-04-2010, 06:12 AM

thank you for all the info. I'm most appreciative of your taking the time and lending a helping hand!
A.
Old 11-04-2010, 06:13 AM

Originally Posted by Bubblegum0077
If I had such a huge project to quilt, I would use an adhesive spray, but preparing your quilt is absolutely essential to avoid any buckles.

Tape your backing to the floor (not carpet) so you can spread it out smoothly. Tape the side so it won't move. This step is important. Don't skimp on the tape.
Using the adhesive spray, spray about 24 inches across the backing. Start at the top of the quilt (the narrowest part of the quilt)and lay the batting, spread your hands over the batting to flatten out, spray more, roll the batting, spray again, repeat making sure you run your hands over the batting to avoid buckling. If it does, just lift the batting carefully and reposition. Do this until you finish.
Repeat for the topping. If you miss any spots, go back and spray, flatten and iron. After I put the batting down, I iron that too.

Some sprays require you pass an hot iron over the layers to activate the adhesive. The spray works well with cotton and cotton/poly batting. I have never tried it on 100% poly. I've been doing this for the last 5 projects and it has not let me down. The advantage to this procedure is that you can move the quilt around while it's on the machine and the layers will not move. I did my granddaughter's twin-size quilt (70x95) on my Janome 6600 and those layers didn't move at all.

I have used June Taylor adhesive and Dritz I got both at JoAnns with a coupon. JT is cheaper and a larger can. Dritz is a smaller can and easier to clean up with soap and water if you get it past the edges of your quilt (more expensive though). I think once you've used this stuff you will be amazed of how much easier your quilting will go. I hate using the pins because it's difficult for my fingers to close them. I also don't have feelings at the tips so pinning isn't an option most of the time for me.

If you're doubtful about using the spray, make a sample just by using a smaller piece to see if you feel comfortable with the process. Try it on a 24" x 24" pieces. It will give you a general idea and then you can try quilting it. If you feel the process was pleasant, then go for it on the larger quilt.

Option #2:
If you don't have a large enough floor, or pet hair is a problem, try using your dining room table. I am fortunate that mine is 4' x 6' so I use large black binder clips to hold the edges down along the sides of the table. I do it in increments and I absolutely am careful it does not buckle when I have to move the quilt. When using my table I spray the batting first, then iron, then do as much as my table will cover. Reposition the rest of the quilt, clip to table and continue the process. It's tricky, but that's what I have to do. My floor isn't an option because I have a small house.

thank you for taking the time to help me out. I'm most appreciative.
Angela
Old 11-04-2010, 06:35 AM
Power Poster

perhaps you're "smoothing" too much too. i do mine on a table. well i spray baste now or use fusible batting but used to clip my backing, then add the batting and top, then re clip. baste, then move the quilt and reclip to table and baste the rest. worked fine. my back wont' let me do the floor thing anymore. good luck.
Old 11-04-2010, 07:21 AM

Originally Posted by nativetexan
perhaps you're "smoothing" too much too. i do mine on a table. well i spray baste now or use fusible batting but used to clip my backing, then add the batting and top, then re clip. baste, then move the quilt and reclip to table and baste the rest. worked fine. my back wont' let me do the floor thing anymore. good luck.
I was looking at the back of the quilt this morning and it came to me: I think I'm smoothing it too much. I do believe it was an Epiphany of sorts.
Thanks for your suggestions. We do learn something from every quilt we make, don't we?
Old 11-04-2010, 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by angelarose
Originally Posted by Bubblegum0077

Option #2:

thank you for taking the time to help me out. I'm most appreciative.
Angela
Hi, I just finished using the spray. It was pricey, but I'll use it again on another large quilt I'm making, and then have more left over.
The tile flooring was best to work on, NOT the carpet. I also taped the backing onto the floor before using the spray. Are you sure I don't have to use any pins to pin it?????????????
Thanks a bunch...and to all who were so helpful.
Angela