Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
backing color for white n multi front >

backing color for white n multi front

backing color for white n multi front

Old 08-12-2016, 06:30 PM

Default backing color for white n multi front

I'm still working on my helix throw, which has a lot of white (every hst is white plus a scrappy color). I've never done such a light Background top, and thus never had to think about colored backing possibly showing through. This will be a quilt for a girl turning 11 next Friday so I'm really under the wire! Please help me think through a good backing color. Batting is Warm n Natural in cream tone.

I have maybe just enough white to finish the front. Hoping!
Old 08-12-2016, 06:35 PM

What about a pale pink or lilac or baby blue or light yellow, etc???????
Old 08-12-2016, 06:47 PM

I've done a printed black backing fabric with a white-on-white (plus some applique) on the front when using W&N batting. Nothing showed through or was shadowed other than when the quilt was soaking wet (and then it dried back to it's state where nothing showed). Even black printed fabric is not dark black on the back side. You could always take some with you to the store, but I think mainly this is a problem with other types of batting.
Old 08-13-2016, 02:25 AM

I agree with Bree123. The only time I had this problem was when I used poly batting. The WnN is thick enough that your colors should not show thru
Old 08-13-2016, 08:28 AM

I agree that you won't have issues with see through with the W&N batting. I usually go with a backing that has most/all colors as the front to coordinate with the top. But that's just me.
Old 08-13-2016, 10:04 AM

Another consideration would be what thread color you are going to quilt the top with? I would use a fabric that isn't a strong contrast with that fabric.
Old 08-13-2016, 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by Pagzz View Post
Another consideration would be what thread color you are going to quilt the top with? I would use a fabric that isn't a strong contrast with that fabric.
I was thinking white thread in the white parts , and medium grey or taupe or a variegated blue-green.
Old 08-13-2016, 11:11 AM

I recently made a quilt for a wedding that was brighter batiks with a very light creamy background and used an orange backing. It looked great and didn't show thru to the front. I used Dream wool batting.
Old 08-13-2016, 03:13 PM

I use Quilters Dream batting (100% cotton) and have never seen the backing show through to the front. I don't really see how that could happen with a good batting. Just wanted to add that with one of my quilts that had a lot of white in the piecing, I was concerned about using the natural color of batting or using a white bat. I took the top to the LQS with me and we tried out both the white and the natural and could not see a difference in the top.

Last edited by suern3; 08-13-2016 at 03:17 PM.
Old 08-14-2016, 06:07 AM

I don't think the backing will show through when using Warn n Natural batting. I've made many quilts using a dark backing.