Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Backing- Do you piece your backing or use the larger widths?

I've done both, but, alas, I'm lazy :lol: and would rather just put it together without a seam

Thanks for everyones responses.
    I might try piecing my next back with more then just panels.

Happy quilting,
    G

I just finished a disappearing 9patch quilt for my grandson with all sports squares on the front. I was able to find a sports print in flannel for the back. I did the center seam. It should be nice and warm.

I've done a variety of backing methods, including making a too-narrow piece wider by cutting it into 2 triangles and sliding them up/down until I had the width I needed and then sewing the 2 triangles back together (using a great tip with illustrations from John Flynn). On the quilt that I'm piecing now and am almost finished, there are no straight seams. Everything is curved and putting this quilt top together was a nightmare and I'm convinced that a pieced back would cause me even more problems so I've just ordered 3 yds. of 108" wide backing from Fabric Depot. I haven't received it yet, but it looks good on my computer screen and the price is reasonable.

I was also taught that if you piece the backing by sewing two lengths together that the seam should run side to side on the quilt so the quilt hanging over the edge does not constantly put weight on the seam down the middle.

I have done both, but especially like using packed prints, bc it hides stitching. I do want my back to have colors like front.
    Will be piecing in future for larger bed quilts, bc I am learning how to quilt in sections. (book by marti mitchell). I have fibro. and I think this will definitely be better for me.
    It's a great book for those interested. Easier than you would think. If you like lap or baby size quilts, It's just like making four or whatever, (she has about 6 different ways to choose from), and putting them together. C

Any easy way to back your quilt without wasting material is the John Flynn method. Just go to his website for instructions. You don't need wider fabric for his method. :lol:

i wait until joann's has a 50% off coupon then i buy their $9.95 wide backing.
    it has the feel of a really nice soft muslin, is printed in several colors, and at 1/2 price and no shipping, i don't think it can be beat.

THANK YOU, BUTTERFLYWING! that is an exxxxcellent idea. sometimes i can't use coupon or end up saving on a very low cost item. :D

I also use that coupon on a quilt book I have been wanting or a large quantitiy of rolled batting.

dlf22quilting wrote:
    I also use that coupon on a quilt book I have been wanting or a large quantitiy of rolled batting.

another great idea. i have used it on books before, but batting and backing are fixin to be a lot more accessible to me now! :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Dancer
    I have done both, depending on what I have on hand. I found some wide backings in wonderful colors last fall and stocked up on some. :)
    Shadow, when you buy ahead, not knowing how much you'll need (for the size of your yet-to-be-made quilt), how much of the wide fabric do you purchase?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2